Thank you all for your nice comments
sberry wrote: first model ever of the Uluburun ship
To be more precise I try to make a Classic Greek version for the 6th to 4th century BC and an older Phoenician version for the 10th to 6th century BC. The real Uluburun version of this ship must represent the bronze age around 1400 BC and so I can not properly use it for my own project. But if someone has some specific interest, I would love to make a third version with the typical bronze age stearing oars, mast top and sail with bottom boom.
Beano Boy wrote: Lego bricks i remember seeing it somewhere before,but where?
Thats correct Beano boy you were the first one suggesting the use of these bricks to me. But out of fear to be ridiculized by one of our moderators (I will not say which one but he wrote this to me last week:
Peter wrote:Paul and you can play with lego bricks very well!
(very humiliating isn't it?) I hesitated with using the lego bricks for half a year until our friend Phersu made clear to me again the advantages compared to the hardboard and hotgluegun method.
Kekso wrote:I really enjoy watching this step by step casting progress.
Thats great to hear, today I have some more for you.
Ben90 wrote:I love this topic! Always great updates...
Today I think it must be mentioned that much of what I am doing here at this moment, has been done by Ben90 in the past. No, not as extended as this topic is becoming, but Ben did it all before me already: make his own wooden galleys and siege machines from scratch, sculpt figures, paint extremely well, all very inspiring to me and very interesting to see it for the first time for 'newcomers' to our forum who are interested in ancient subjects like these:
Roman bireme: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11951&hilit=ben+bireme
Carthagenian/Punic/Phoenician warship: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11951&p=149587#p149587
Vae Victis: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11951&p=149587#p149587
The commercial break ends here
Meanwhile I have been working on the Uluburun ship. For the Phoenician version I need a wooden horsehead like depicted at some Assyrian reliefs:
Remarkable to see the horse does have a hairlock at the front but no mane at the back of the neck:
I tried some different materials and sizes. One of these is made by my wife but I won't say which one.
Ending up with a brown stuff sculpt:
Imitation of wood structure:
Besides the head for the Phoenician ships front, I also made another curve for the back of the Classical Greek ship version:
And now comes the cargo again:
copper and bronze ingot plates. The white ones are cut out of a plastic cork covered with magic sculpt. the black ones are milliput wrapped steel wire covered by brown stuff:
Packages of wool and fabric including the famous Purple cloth from Tyre.
Baskets for iron ore, almonds, grain and small pottery:
With a little help of Fredericus Rex I made another range of baskets out of steel, iron, copper and brass wire and sewing thread:
A scaffold made of steel pins in a plastic cork is interwoven with copper wire:
On top a separately woven ring is attached with superglue:
Sewing thread is tried to replace copper wire:
For the bottom I used metal wire again:
The thinner the wire the better it works:
For the scaffold I used 0,3mm wire from a garbagebag clip, for the weaving 0,1mm wire from an electricity wire.
Because I wanted to try make a basket without glueing, I started to do some real traditional dutch basketweaving:
Of course my fingers are much to large for this microscopic craftsmanship so this little guy did much of the work for me:
An earlyer try with 0.4mm brass wire framework which turned out too heavy and stiff for a proper weaving of the basket edge:
Some final results and my conclusion is: the thinner the wire of the frame, the better the final result.