Work in Progress

1812 Campaign of Russia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Jun 2020, 18:41

I admire and envy people like ADM who do not paint the figures one by one or in pairs, but in groups of tens or hundreds at a time. :drool:

You always delight us with so amazing and cyclopean works. :notworthy:

All my respects. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by ADM on 03 Oct 2020, 00:57

Thank you all ! :wave:

Now come the work on limber, wagons and ambulance !
The base color is Tamiya XF26 deep green, covered by a black wash on the whole paint, after this come a drybrush Tamiya XF49 Khaki.
At this point it was supposed to be the last layer but I was not satisfied by the green, it wasn't exactly the right color I was looking for, so I've made more search and finally found the best green matching reality, a layer of Vallejo 70921 English Uniform (WWII) with a flat brush (drybrush) was added, not to forget the light black wash only around details and the drybrush (A mix of the 70921 green mixed with 50% of white).
Another drybrush but only on the edge to highlight them : a mix of 70921 (10%) and white (90%).
the metal parts are Vallejo 70864 natural steel, underlined with black by a thin brush.
rope and straps are vallejo 70857 pale sand with a black wash, cannonball are black whith a dark grey drybrush (Vallejo 70994).

The limber need a base, otherwise the horses can't stand properly together, it's made of a 1mm PVC sheet, painted in Tamiya brown, covered by white glue (for wood) and sand/earth, then painted in a medium brown, black wash and drybrush.

The barrel of the cannons are Vallejo 70998 Bronze
I've added 3 black wash until it's dark enough but only on details
I came back with a Vallejo 70998 bronze drybrush but only on the edges.

You will notice on the photos of the finished cannons that when you see them from the front, inside the barrel it's the Tamiya base green and not black. It's not a mistake, it's the green oxidation of the bronze caused by black powder, the real ones were like that after few days of use.

So this set is now finished, I'm already preparing the next step for this huge and time consuming project !

---------------------------------------

French Infantry : 497
French artillery (cannons) : 12
French cavalry : 0
Others French (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 106 gunners, 17 limber, wagons and ambulance, 48 horses.
----------------------------------------
Russian Infantry : 319
Russian artillery (cannons) : 0
Russian cavalry : 0
Others Russians (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 0

ADM  

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 Oct 2020, 06:43

Excellent work indeed Mr ADM.

Your vehicles are lovely and the scale of production shows real determination.

Personally I would loose the cannon balls as ammunition was fixed by this period.

A magnificent achievement and a testimony to your modelling skills.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 03 Oct 2020, 09:52

Fantastic!!!!
Can't wait to see the diorama.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Egbert on 03 Oct 2020, 12:20

Wow...impressive...
Wonderful made cannons and vehicles.
... and everything is painted at the highest level.
That all give - if it is ready - a fantastic diorama.
I be happy to see more from your work.
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Bessiere on 04 Oct 2020, 05:16

Bloody marvelous French artillery and an entire battery to boot. Labor of love there. I salute you for your magnificent efforts ADM.
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 04 Oct 2020, 10:21

Konrad wrote:Can't wait to see the diorama.

Me too :shock:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 04 Oct 2020, 21:55

The outcome is a canonnade! ;-) In one word: BOEM! :shock:

Fantastic painted artillery! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by tullo on 05 Oct 2020, 14:07

:yeah: :yeah: :thumbup:
tullo  Germany

Posted by MABO on 05 Oct 2020, 21:06

Another great amount of work and a quite great battery. Applause! The only thing is, that in my point of view the French artillery was painted greener,
MABO  Europe

Posted by MikeRC97 on 06 Oct 2020, 14:42

MABO wrote:Another great amount of work and a quite great battery. Applause! The only thing is, that in my point of view the French artillery was painted greener,

I had the same thought - great work but French artillery wood parts were painted Apple Green.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Oct 2020, 15:53

MABO wrote: The only thing is, that in my point of view the French artillery was painted greener,

True, but we don't know how much of that green would get washed out during a campaign in Russia. They had a whole summer to accumulate dust. Russia makes everything turn ruddy brown! (or gray)
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 06 Oct 2020, 19:40

Those cannons look superb...
Emperor  

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Oct 2020, 11:24

The artillery seems to be busy like ants to get everything together for the diorama! Pay them well so they work harder! Also looking forward to see more! Will there be a Cannes-festival???
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by ADM on 07 Oct 2020, 18:59

Many thanks for those positive comments :-D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The color "big green" of the french artillery is defined by the regulations of 1801 :

"This color, also called olive, is made with yellow ocher and black in the shade you want.
It is usually made from five pounds of yellow ocher and half an ounce (twenty-five grams) of carbon black.
The black of the fittings is done with the same carbon black to which we added a little ocher to give it consistency.
It takes two and a half pounds for a pound of black."
find more (in French) here :

https://silex-et-baionnette.forumactif. ... t-francais
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what tell us regulation mixing natural yellow ocher with black soot you can have only one kind of green : the yellow olive green in the tone you want (light or dark) but a medium tone is quite a safe choice.

This green look like a WWII green like the one darker used by the allied on the Sherman tank or B17 flying fortress, under the sun and rain it can turn into anything including brown.

Is an apple or grass green wrong ?
it's not regulation but it isn't wrong read this :

"For those who don't like "khaki", they can paint their artillery pieces in various colors under the Empire.
Indeed, between the national production, the parts taken, and the difficulties of supply of paint, it was observed French parts of ocher, red, gray blue. It was even seen limber whose color differed from those of the cannons ..."

So I thing it's mostly a matter of taste, there is not only one but several answer to this question ;-)
ADM  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Oct 2020, 13:47

Konrad wrote:...Can't wait to see the diorama.

Kekso wrote:
Konrad wrote:Can't wait to see the diorama.

Me too :shock:

Add me to the list, please. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ADM on 14 Oct 2020, 21:24

After the french line foot artillery come the Imperial Guard horse artillery (Italeri), including some more wagons, pontoons (Hat) and the camp (Strelets).

This artillery played an important role during the battle of Borodino and the whole campaign.

With the Strelets camp come 2 tents, not a military model and quite small but can be used (confiscated to civilians), so I've decided to buid 20 more military tents for troops. It's easy and fast as you can see, metal wire for the frame, covered by paper towel soaked with white glue, and painted with base color, black wash and white drybrysh. Already finished.

There's 110 figures, 15 cannons, 9 wagons, 44 horses and 7 limbers. among those limbers there's three of them having only two horses, this is intended to reflect the shortage of horses during the campaign of Russia from the very first day.

During the retreat pontoons were abandonned to send the horses to artillery who was tracted by horses or men..., this is why the french army had to build a bridge on the Beresina river by dismantling houses around.

So here come more artillery for this project.
The french were accustomed to use artillery at very short range to increase the damages and this was very efficient to scatter enemy troops, Napoleon himself was from the artillery.

ADM  

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Oct 2020, 04:16

Hello Mr ADM.

Another massive effort in your Herculean project.

The tents are a fantastic idea.

However, it is a pity that you have persisted with the Italieri fantasy limbers.

The ACW variant is just as ridiculous.

The Guard artillery train used the same A frame as the Line. The essential difference was that they did not use the woollen schabraque on the train horses.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 17 Oct 2020, 16:03

Real nice next episode of this project! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ADM on 22 Dec 2020, 21:59

Thank you for your interest ! :-D

I've been working on this project for quite long now, and still have a lot of figures to paint, so I decided to alternate with the work on the diorama, and started to work with a big piece : The St Basil cathedral (not far from the Kremlin), because part of Moscow will be represented.

I found on ebay a 1/150 paper model, easy to assemble without glue, see here :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Building-Saint ... 4058093344

it took 2 weeks to build it, comparing to photos of the real one it look pretty accurate up to the smallest detail, so a reliable source.

it's the base for drawing plans in 1/72 scale, twice the size, when finished it will be around 1 meter long (3,2 feet), made of plexiplass mostly (onion shape will be made of wood) right now I'm not far from finishing those plans and will be able soon to start the big work.

Of course I don't forget all the figures left to paint, I will make them one after another, all of them will be painted.

I wish to everybody a merry christmas and happy new year !

ADM  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress