Work in Progress

1812 Campaign of Russia

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:05

Yes !!! :-D I'm back after a long work, but now those figures are finished !!! :beer:

The last step is about hats, all of them are painted in black (Vallejo)

--Grenadiers : Laiton (Vallejo 70801), red (Vallejo 70909) and white added (when I paint such light color like this red over black I always paint the details white at first, and then paint the red over the white, if you try to paint directly the red over the black it won't be nice at all, the red will turn far too dark unless there's several layers !
The round insigna is made by ink pens and covered with mat varnish.

--Voltigeurs : Laiton (Vallejo 70801), yellow (Vallejo 70953 flat yellow) and green (Vallejo 70968 flat green), round insigna made by white/red/blue ink pens.

--Officers : the feather is red or green or yellow, same color related to the troops he's commanding, with a Laiton stripe (Vallejo 70801) over the round insigna made by ink pens.

--Fusiliers : square insigna on the front and chin straps of the hat : laiton (Vallejo 70801), round insigna made by white/red/blue ink pens, red pompon : Vallejo 70909.

The base of the figures are covered with white glue (for wood), then I spread some sand and earth mixed, and after that, painted with very thick acrylics paint (for walls) with a black wash and drybrush

There's no flag yet because these figures will be mixed with Zvezda french infantry and command group (art of tactic) when painted.

The second biggest box of figure for this project is Zvezda Russian Infantry, 321 figures coming next, another big piece of work, but after that my project should move faster because it's followed by smaller sets.

Figures painted at this moment :

French Infantry : 408
French artillery (cannons) : 0
French cavalry : 0
Others French (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 0
----------------------------------------
Russian Infantry : 0
Russian artillery (cannons) : 0
Russian cavalry : 0
Others Russians (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 0

I will make a copy/paste each time the numbers are changing.

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:09

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:14

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:19

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:22

and some dramatic music to watch them at ease ! :mrgreen:

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 05 Apr 2018, 01:36

ADM  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 Apr 2018, 04:02

Fantastic as always! I usually do not prefer eyes at this scale, but the ones you have put on your French look pretty good. The rifles and uniforms look very sharp, too. Can't wait for the support units. And the Russians.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Apr 2018, 04:10

Hello ADM, it is nice to see that you are back in action after such a long absence.

Your painting detail is fantastic and especially as it is on such an industrial scale.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 05 Apr 2018, 08:07

So many figures.
In this quality.
An excellent job.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kekso on 05 Apr 2018, 08:08

Awesome amount of nicely painted, colorful figures. I admire your patience and will to do such huge amount of work. That dirt for bases even look better(more realistic?) when unpainted.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Apr 2018, 11:20

There they all are,
those figures are all old friends in my memory, of many a brush dipping night-time endeavour.
I well realise the time and effort required to create massed formations, and your painting is wonderful indeed and I thank you for posting them here. Bravo! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Apr 2018, 11:45

Oh, yes! At last! Those who wait for something good will have it! They look quite happy, I don't think they have an idea what's awaiting them. Cool that you are back!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by MABO on 05 Apr 2018, 20:57

Welcome back and respect for your work.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Apr 2018, 02:42

ADM dotted the eyes.
I did some once they all looked like dizzy drunks and fell over a lot. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 06 Apr 2018, 07:27

My youngest grandson constantly commented on my figures not having painted eyes. I showed him these and he says he'll never mention it again.. Ben Turpin and Marty Feldman personified
Apart from the eyes a skilful job with the painting
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by ADM on 27 Apr 2018, 15:16

Thank you everybody for passing by and having a look ! :-D

Susofrick, you couldn't be more right :thumbup: , figures are only the first part of this project and I will do something amazing never seen before, and it will be worth seeing it !!! Just wait and see ! 8)

FredG, everybody has his own taste, I'm painting for myself and I like what I'm doing so this is my way of painting figures, with the eyes. there's no two painters painting exactly in the same way and it's great like this, I also appreciate the work of many others while not painting like me. There's not only one method of work but thousands. It is very common to see some details oversized on figures but I don't think it's a mistake.

I've started with the Zvezda set : Russian heavy infantry. Grenadiers, 319 figures, infantry is the core of any Napoleonic Battle so many are required, especially with the campaign of Russia, a tremendous number of troops involved from many european countries.

The trouser received a black wash (5% to 10% of Vallejo black mixed with water, applied with an ordinary brush) and a white drybrush, I've already exausted several flat brush with this task (the one on the photo is good for retirement...) and stockpiled many more.

With a pencil (rotring or staedtler 0,3) I've underlined buttons and painted the black shoes. I started on the jacket with Vallejo 70970 deep greeen, it will be followed by a black wash and drybrush when finished.

ADM  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 27 Apr 2018, 16:16

ADM wrote:FredG, everybody has his own taste, I'm painting for myself and I like what I'm doing so this is my way of painting figures, with the eyes. there's no two painters painting exactly in the same way and it's great like this, I also appreciate the work of many others while not painting like me. There's not only one method of work but thousands. It is very common to see some details oversized on figures but I don't think it's a mistake.

You are perfectly correct in painting for yourself.

My comment wasn't aimed at oversized eyes. The references I made were of people who didn't have their eyes looking in the same direction.

If that is what you want don't let me dissuade you.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by ADM on 27 Apr 2018, 19:17

FredG, you should remenber that the photos are oversizing the size of figures as if it was 1/35 instead of 1/72 (to see better details), but when you have them on the table, the only way to notice the eyes is to oversize the painting.

And for people having the eyes not looking in the same direction I'm sure there was some in the Napoleonic armies, the only reason to refuse candidate was rotten teeth because they couldn't open the paper cartridge with their teeth ! They enrolled everybody, no matter they had the will to join the army or not ! so they shouldn't look like too much perfect bodies... ;-)
ADM  

Posted by Konrad on 27 Apr 2018, 20:09

Eyes or not.
I am deeply impressed by the amount of figs and the quality.
What a performance.
Above all, I admire your discipline. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by FredG on 27 Apr 2018, 20:15

ADM wrote:And for people having the eyes not looking in the same direction I'm sure there was some in the Napoleonic armies

Now that could explain the poor hit rate with muskets. :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress