Work in Progress

1812 Campaign of Russia

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Nov 2018, 07:01

Good to see your modelling back in action.

Super painting and prodigious output.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Nov 2018, 09:13

Agree with the others, great to see you back in action! And nice to see the other sunny pics with warm weather too!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 28 Nov 2018, 23:49

As always, a tremendous task expertly & convincingly tackled. Respect! :shock: :thumbup:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Kekso on 29 Nov 2018, 11:06

ADM wrote:Image

To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of so many figures on this picture :eh: :affraid: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by ADM on 12 Apr 2019, 00:45

Thank you my friends ! :-D ;-) Here I come again ! 8)

Once more it took a long time but I didn't wanted to consider those figures finished before it entirely suit my taste. When we paint figures we know for sure what eternity is !!! :mrgreen:

The steps about painting :

-- Faces

I covered the faces with vallejo 70860 medium flesh tone, then added a wash : 70875 beige brown vallejo mixed with around 50% of water, and made a drybrush (with a flat brush) 70955 flat flesh vallejo.
A touch of white for the eyes and rotring 0,35 (pencil) for the black dot

Hairs and mustache are of 4 different colors :

- Black 70950
- Brown 70941 Burnt Umber (for the biggest part of the figures)
- Brown 70822 Black brown
- Beige 70917 (for blond hairs)

I've added a black wash only above the beige and a drybrush only for the others colors.
A layer of Vallejo mat varnish on faces and hairs to fix the result.

The Russian rifle (model 1808) is somewhat more dark than the french rifle because most of the time the wood was of poor quality and painted in dark brown, but of course it doesn't mean that this rifle was less accurate, but the wood was easy to break if used as a club.
So I painted the wood vallejo 70822 brown, the metal is painted with citadel color 61-55 Mithril silver and the 3 rings around the barrel, and also the trigger, are 70801 laiton, then underline the details with black and a thin brush.

The mast of the flags is vallejo 70822 dark brown.
About the flag you need to know that each russian regiment during this period had several flag (up to five by regiment), the white one is the flag of the regiment with a rank above the coloured flags of each company, and there's also a ribbon of different color to identify the company. This is a big difference with the French army who had only one flag per regiment.

I've decided to make the 3 famous regiment of guard grenadiers (Preobrashenski, Semjonovski and Ismailovski) and 4 of line grenadiers, including the one from Moscow with a black and red flag.

So the ribbon is :
-orange (Vallejo 70851 bright orange + black wash and mat varnish)
-green (Vallejo 70881 yellow green)
-grey (Vallejo 70883 silver grey)
-yellow (vallejo 70953)

The paper flag come from Rofur, I stockpiled them some years ago, it's really great flag like stickers, you easily shape them with fingers, soak them with a mix of water and white glue (50%) and when drying you can still improve the shape for realistic wind effect. When dry it's hard like plastic or metal flag.

You will notice on photos that I drew some black signs under the base of each flag bearer and musician, a square mean it belong to the guard and the sign inside the square (or without square) is there to remenber which flag goes to another.

At this point the hands are painting in the same way I did for the faces.

The Shako is black with a vallejo 70801 laiton badge and the white rope, also a red dot. The musicians have red feather, and in the guard the top of the red feather is white with a red stripe. I've found all those informations on books and it took some time to find all those details !

the base of figures received white glue (for wood) with a brush, I spread a mix of sand and earth found around my place in the south of France, the painted with thick acrylic paint (for walls), a black wash, a drybrush with a stone grey and it's done !

I will come back soon with the next set to paint !

French Infantry : 408
French artillery (cannons) : 0
French cavalry : 0
Others French (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 0
----------------------------------------
Russian Infantry : 319
Russian artillery (cannons) : 0
Russian cavalry : 0
Others Russians (gunners, staff, crew, headquarter, bridge builders and anything else) : 0

ADM  

Posted by Graeme on 12 Apr 2019, 04:46

I like the standard bearers converted from the advancing figures, What a great pose! And I really like the frosty bases.

This is a wonderful display. Individually your figuresa are great, but put them all together like that and they are spectacular! :yeah:
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Apr 2019, 07:15

Great to see you back in action with such a super collection of well painted troops.

Personally, I do not think that eyes work very well in 20 mm and prefer a wash that highlights them.

This is dependent on the sculpt but Zvevda troops have excellent faces.

It will be interesting so see this project come together.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Traveller1865 on 12 Apr 2019, 07:46

Fantastic, and best flags ever done by Rofur!
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by huib on 12 Apr 2019, 12:34

Very beautiful figures!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Apr 2019, 14:29

Ah, you are back! One of my favourite threads! Great work! Will be great to see this finished!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Rich W on 19 Apr 2019, 08:57

Fantastic stuff. I admire the level of patience you must have to do such large quantities of figures in one go and still maintain the quality! I'll look forward to your next batch.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by ADM on 19 Apr 2019, 11:25

Thank you for your appreciation and judgement ! the opinion of somebody else is always precious ! :-D because having always the nose on my figures, another point of view is welcome to improve my level, as well as I am happy to discover the work of others painters here. Everybody has his own style. :wave:

My next step in this project is to complete my French line infantry with 89 figures, including 10 tambour major from Franznap and 2 sets from Zvezda art of tactic : French line infantry and Command group, I've converted some figures into flag bearer, to get 12 of them, There's also a few more musicians and officers.

figures from Zvezda and Franznap received a black wash and a white drybrush.

There's 4 horses for officers (primed with Tamiya XF10).
I started by a Vallejo 70940 Saddle brown drybrush, followed by another drybrush (a mix of 70982 cavalry brown + 50% of 70860 flesh). A third drybrush come with the previous mix and 50% of white, then another one black only on upper parts and the last one is made of 70822 brown to melt the previous colors.

It's necessary to use diluted paint for each drybrush (not too thick) because like this the last layer influence the tone on the next one.
The hooves are painted Vallejo 70862 black grey, and eyes are black.

I've attributed a number to each Tambour Major to ease color identification I'm using on them, in reality there was a lot of fantasy about those prestigious uniforms (it's all about personal customization) and many combination are possible but I will mostly follow the realistic pattern suggested by Franznap, except for one brown figure because this is significative of an early period before the campaign of Russia, but can still match my project with a different color. the level of details and accuracy on those figures is like a dream coming true !

Tambour Major 8 :
-The uniform is fully painted with 70 899 Dark Prusia Blue with drybrush (no black wash because the tone is already dark.

Tambour Major 5 :
-The trouser is painted 70841 Andrea Blue with black wash and drybrush

Tambour Major 9 :
-The trouser and vest is painted 70841 Andrea Blue with wash and drybrush

Tambour Major 7 :
-The uniform is fully painted with a mix of 70899 Dark Prusia blue and 50% of white, followd by a black wash and drybrush

ADM  

Posted by Kekso on 20 Apr 2019, 21:34

I'm happy to see this project continues.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by ADM on 11 May 2019, 00:43

Yes Kekso, the show must go on ! ;-)

Franznap metal figure :

Tambour Major 1 - 3 - 4 - 6 and 10:
-The vest is Vallejo 70809 royal blue with a black wash and drybrush

Tambour Major 2 :
-The vest is Vallejo 70841 Andrea blue with a black wash and drybrush

Zvezda plastic figure :

details on the white parts are underlined with a thin pencil, shoes are black with Buttons on the external side : Vallejo 70801 Laiton, as well as others buttons. Officers have boots with a upper part painted 70875 beige brown + wash and drybrush.

The vest is painted Vallejo 70809 royal blue followed by wash and drybrush. I've just finished the horses, the saddle blanket is vallejo 70809 royal blue with a golden edge, saddle is 70940 saddle brown and the webbing is black, every color is underlined with a black line, not to forget the black eyes.

On may 14th, 2019 start the Cannes film festival for 12 days so I will be busy with it, I will try to make good photos, it's my annual break ! and then I will come back to my work on figures ! :-D

ADM  

Posted by Susofrick on 13 May 2019, 07:56

I am also very happy to see this continue!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Bluefalchion on 13 May 2019, 15:56

Amazing stuff! Now I want to see some fancy cars, actors is designer clothing, and ADM in his natty white naval duds. :D
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 13 May 2019, 16:40

Bluefalchion wrote:Now I want to see ... ADM in his natty white naval duds. :D

So do all the actors, directors, and super models; I'm convinced that's the reason they go to Cannes every year. :mrgreen:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by ADM on 13 May 2019, 19:29

Well gentlemen, I think I can satisfy this request because I'm at the right place in the right time :-D

On tuesday night start the Cannes film festival so here come the first picture I took today, I think everything is ready, including myself ! ;-)

In the photo below it is Edouard Baer (left) a french actor who will present the Cannes film Festival.

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 14 May 2019, 14:04

Tonight start the cannes film festival, the red carpet is ready for the opening ceremony, I took those photos this morning, there's already plenty of interviews in the street and everywhere else in Cannes ! Now you have a good idea of the background ;-)

ADM  

Posted by ADM on 14 May 2019, 21:36

Some more photos of this first day at the Cannes film festival, there's no way you can escape photos of beautiful top model and actress with great dress. ;-)

Venezuelan actress, at least I guess because her boyfriend with which I met was from Venezuela, but live in Mexico.

Myself !

Gong Li, a chinese actress

Myself again.

Eva Longoria

I came with my little luggage and few things inside, including a sea battle with all the warships ! :winky:

ADM  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress