Work in Progress

1812 Campaign of Russia

Posted by Kekso on 27 Dec 2016, 13:27

ADM wrote: Cutting and cleaning figures isn't always the easiest part, it can be really difficult when the plastic is like rubber (mostly Hat figures, and the result can be really messy).

Amen to that. Buying figures is easiest part. :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 29 Dec 2016, 14:58

ADM wrote:I've painted around 800 Figures in 4 years (plastic/resin/metal and plenty of vehicules, boat, planes), not just a few dozens, not to mention the 125 figures of the french foreign legion of the summer 2016

Okay, I admit I underestimated the numbers of handpainted figures by you. :notworthy:

ADM wrote:Cutting and cleaning figures isn't always the easiest part, it can be really difficult when the plastic is like rubber

Alright, I admit I overestimated the joy of cutting too :-D

ADM wrote:I think you understand the long process of a great work accomplished with passion

Yes that is why I still keep writing replies to this topic.
But what is difficult to understand for me and probably for others too is:
Why do you cut and clean so many figures before you start painting the first unit? There must be some kind of philosophy in that. A desire by you to work as systematically as possible. Is that right?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by DickerThomas on 29 Dec 2016, 16:49

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: .... :thumbup:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by ADM on 31 Dec 2016, 14:15

Mr. Cryns, I think I wanted to get ride of the less pleasant part of the project before starting the more interesting work 8) I also need a global view on everything before spending thousands hour works on it, like this I can detect if there's too much or too few of this or that.

I wish everybody a happy new year full of beautiful painted figures :-D

ADM  

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 14 Jan 2017, 13:43

:-D :-D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cool Crazy idea.....did not notice it is new year...hahaha
happy new year....and i hope that Teddy had some champagne and chokolates for you...
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 14 Jan 2017, 14:07

:P :-) :-D :xd: :yeah:

How could I miss this one completely? Thanks to Wheeling turn I found it at last.
Cryns  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 14 Jan 2017, 18:11

Yes, I found it to a very original way to say Happy New Year! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ADM on 08 Feb 2017, 02:21

Many thanks my friends ! :-D :yeah:

6 more boxes with 356 figures ready for painting :

32 (with 4 horses) Hat - French light infantry Chasseurs
96 Strelets - French infantry in advance (with greatcoat)
56 Hat - French Carabiniers (infantry)
48 Hat - young Guard
88 Strelets - Polish infantry on the march
36 Waterloo 1815 - French line lancers

The Hat sets is still that awful soft plastic like rubber, except the young Guard with hard plastic, it take one new blade of my yellow cutter to remove the mold line of a box of 50 figures from any manufacturer, except for Hat, it take 13 blades for 50 figures made of soft plastic... appart this problem the figures are nice.

There's plenty of extra flag bearer and trumpeters inside the boxes of the French line lancers (Waterloo 1815), so I converted them into lancers by adding new hands with swords from my spare box (Zvezda), boiling water to modify the position of the hand of the officer with saber, and I changed extra flags into new lances, I also used one extra lance from an old box of Esci/Italeri polish lancer. This quality of plastic is wonderful to work with, cutting, sanding, gluing, everything is perfect and the figures are superb ! I get the result I was expecting.

I was also pleased by the new Polish infantry of Strelets, greatly detailed, although the bases are quite small, but it will be fine when covered by sand or earth, the weight add more stability.

It's still the same Tamiya colors previously used for the primer.

Now everything is ready, I think I have collected enough for now, next step the painting is starting !

ADM  

Posted by C M Dodson on 08 Feb 2017, 06:16

This is an enormous project and the amount of work is testament to your creativity. A labour of love.Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Feb 2017, 08:44

Wow! I thought this was asleep, but luckily not! Great to see! And looking forward to see it continue!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by davbenbak1 on 08 Feb 2017, 15:23

I recently mentioned on another thread that when it came to cleaning up soft Hat plastic figures, you were an expert. When I can't make progress with a sharp blade I use a heated metal pin to melt the mold lines. Good to hear your views on the Strelets Marching Poles. I have a box on the way.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 09 Feb 2017, 10:04

I like the way you converted lancer trumpeters.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by DickerThomas on 10 Feb 2017, 14:17

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: fantastic ... :drool: :drool: :drool:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Peter on 13 Feb 2017, 18:47

Another explosion of figures in this topic! Man, can't wait to see the end of this project. Must be an awesome view! :shock:

Looking forward to your next steps! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ADM on 17 Feb 2017, 15:02

Many thanks everybody for your great support ! :-D

Now start the painting !

The most relevant and accurate choice for the core of my 1812 french infantry is this Hat set (8095), mixed with one box of HAT 8166 French line Grenadiers, there's 408 figures, I'm now starting from zero the count of painted figures !

around a quarter of them (123 figures) have the trouser painted neutral grey (Vallejo 70992) or beige brown (Vallejo 70875) completed with black wash and drybrush, to add more diversity and realism.

I've added a black wash over everything (5% of black and 95% of water), including over the Tamiya primer and came back with a white drybrush (thick paint applied with a flat brush). This is where I'm now, working with this step.

ADM  

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Feb 2017, 15:24

The trousers look a little wet :oops: , but that can happen when you're in war! Very nice to see and will try to follow this! I love every update you do so go on!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 17 Feb 2017, 18:49

Why do you place the newspapers always upside down. That is difficult to read for me, don't you understand? :-D

I really love this step by step. And now with the figure counter I'm very excited to see the final number at the end of this project! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Feb 2017, 01:15

Your pile of French Infantry look to be a wonderful stash,
of built up memories of my painting of them.

On the cavalry sets a simple twist of the heads can give remarkable results.
A tried and tested method of simple conversions over the years without doing lots of work.

Daily Newspapers,a must read even when upside down. ;-) BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 22 Feb 2017, 11:54

Congratulations with your first paint. Vive la France!
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by ADM on 24 Feb 2017, 13:55

It's french newspaper so you probably couldn't read them, anyway thank you so much everybody for your non stop support ! :-D :yeah:

I'm starting underlining the details on the white, there's 2 methods, using a very thin brush with black paint (20 minutes of work for each figure and a lot of concentration)or with a 0,35 rotring (3 minutes of work for each figures, easy) and then covered with mat varnish to fix the result. after many different test I've found the best tool for this task, it's a pen Staedtler 0,3mm, it give me the quality I expect and more faster than any other methods so I will use it for all the figures of this project.
the tip of the pen is sharpened even more thinner with a cutter to improve the result. You will notice that I'm already circling buttons before painting them.

ADM  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress