Work in Progress

1812 Campaign of Russia

Posted by ADM on 15 Jul 2017, 21:01

The uniform by itself is done but there's still plenty of details to paint ! (bags, weapons and so on). When working on hundreds of figures I have to find the good balance between speed and quality to get the best possible result in the shortest time. it's clearly not realistic to compete for the best figure ever paint with thousands to do but all the details must be visible at some distance with naked eyes and without extra lights, otherwise it could be a waste of time to paint them, and the black underlining help a lot. It explain my way of painting like this.

I've added a white line around the cuffs (by brush), and a red line on the queue of the coat (V shape) by a red ink pen (Pilot Frixion point 0,3mm). 0,3 is still big (compared to a 5/0 brush) but it was the smallest tip available, I've discovered a range of pen able to be used, from 0,3mm to 0,7mm (Mitsubichi pens with valuable metals colors, it's acrylic paints !!! I've painted the drums with it). Sometime the brush is better and sometime it's the pen who give the best and fastest job.

Collars and shoulder pads (by brush only) :

Voltigeurs :
- Yellow collar (Vallejo 70953) with a red line (Vellejo70909)
- Green shoulder pads (Vallejo 70968) with a yellow line (Vallejo 70953)

Grenadiers and Fusiliers :
- Red collar (Vallejo 70909) with a white line
- Blue shoulder straps with a red line (Fusiliers only)
- Red shoulder straps (Grenadiers only)

Some officers have a Voltigeur collar and some others a Grenadiers/Fusiliers collar, while some collars are left with the blue uniform, everything is accurate.

The chevrons of the drummers are yellow (Vallejo 70953)
The metal color of the drum is the mitsubishi pen UM 153 bronze (Pigment ink), the rope is Vallejo 70984 flat brown with a white part, the blue around the drum is Vallejo 70809 Royal Blue and black underlining is an ink pen (G-TEC-C - 0,4mm Pilot).

Drum sticks are Vallejo 70984 flat brown with a laiton part (Vallejo 70801).
Every updates take months but it's the price to pay for this huge project. I've also improved my way of cutting and enlarging photos to better see the smallest details.

ADM  

Posted by Wiking on 16 Jul 2017, 01:16

Nice work with these pen. Bring details to your still "frozen" soldiers.
Wiking  Germany

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress