Work in Progress

Late roman army in Gaul

Posted by Ben90 on 25 Nov 2017, 00:56

These 3D-printed figures look veeeery good. I really like the tribune with the red cloak!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Chariobaude on 01 Dec 2017, 13:57

Thank you Ben ! This is a first attempt, i have still many things to improve, even if i'm quite pleased with the result :-)

The tribune is my fav too with the "traveler", wich gave me so much work but now look so "real" and full of life to my (generous) eyes !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 18 Feb 2018, 13:20

Commandos aren't a modern invention. Romans had those kind of units, called praeventores, exculcatores or superventores.
The late roman army was over specialized : units of balistarii (artillery), heavy infantry (legio palatina), extra heavy cavalry (cataphractarii or clibanarii)... every tactical type of unit was "available".

My superventores was a frontier unit later promoted to the field army (a rare move, explained by both the bravery of this particular legio... and the lack of troops !), based in Mannatias, modern Nantes in France. Its aim was to protect the gaulish shores of pirates (Franks and Saxons).
those pirates were just looters, not invaders, so the traditionnal heavy infantry of the legio wasn't needed. Light equipped troops like superventores were perfect to intercept the pirates.

I've made this unit using a lot of sets from different manufacturers (Hät, Italeri, MiniArt, Redbox, even one Lucky toys !) very heavy "converted"

Some conversions :

Many more pics clicking here
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 22 Mar 2018, 12:36

New unit for my late roman army in Gaul : a heavy one, the equites constantiaci feroces. To carry such a name, they must have been really ferocious !!

many more pics here on my website
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 16 Jun 2018, 13:52

Little addition to the project : a pictish warband. It comes form the unic set of Redbox dealing with late antiquity.
If i'm not wrong, this set is its very first released. Pretty strangely, the roman opponents described with great historical accuracy on the box never been produced... :(

Back to the project, two very major news coming, one of them can be guessed by the pics on the article : i'm preparing a roman city ! :)

more pics here
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 23 Jun 2018, 15:26

I've added 15 foederatii unni to my late roman army. They come from the hat set 8298, wich is, like the pictii you saw before, quite ugly.
But it is the only set available of huns (with an another one form Lucky toys i won't even consider for my project).
Unfortunately the rarity of sets in this timeframe doesn't allow me to be selective on miniature's quality. As you maybe noticed with my secunda britannica, my legio from Britannia created by myself and 3D printed, i guess the only choice i have to add diversity in my army is conceiving again from scratch figurines. But it takes time...and money ! :(

more pics here
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Peter on 23 Jun 2018, 16:49

You did a good job on these riders! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 24 Jun 2018, 20:07

Great painting and nice conversions. A very interesting theme, these late romans in Gaul.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Chariobaude on 01 Sep 2018, 14:50

Thank you guys !

With the summer, almost zero activity on my project, except the revamp of one of my first unit, the crack unit Brachiati seniores.
In the same time, one of my friend painted the exact same unit !
One unit, same figurines, but two styles : what's your favorite ?

For all the pictures : https://comitatusgaulois.wordpress.com/2015/12/12/brachiates-seniors-brachiati-seniores/
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bluefalchion on 01 Sep 2018, 18:11

I prefer the painting style of the men on the right hand side of the photo.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 01 Sep 2018, 20:38

Bluefalchion wrote:I prefer the painting style of the men on the right hand side of the photo.

one point for France, zero for italy ! :xd:
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Ben90 on 01 Sep 2018, 22:44

I prefer the guys on the right as well...
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Chariobaude on 14 Jul 2019, 13:42

I've been very busy with work and family, and my beloved project suffered a bit, but today i'm really, really proud of my last unit :
The Scola scutatorium prima

It is 100% original : 3D printed figurines from model created with a lot of historical research, and painted with love &care.
I hope you will enjoy it !
Pictures on my website comes with a long text with my research on this particular unit as always. It is in French, but i will translate it soon (as well as the 40 other articles/units) in order to share with more people my hobby ! :-D
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Ben90 on 14 Jul 2019, 17:53

Wonderful, especially the emperor looks fantastic!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by sberry on 14 Jul 2019, 18:18

Congratulations for this great project, these figures look very good!
It must be quite pleasing when you are able to create figures which correspond exactly to your requirements, based on own research. Much better than being dependent on the sometimes strange design decisions made by some manufacturers.
I really love this work, especially because late antiquity is one of those very interesting but rather neglected eras of history.
sberry  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 11 Jan 2020, 15:17

@sberry : absolutely, designing our own figs is so satisfactory ! but unfortunately it is pretty dificult to produce really qualitative work, months of work on machines (3D printer) wich are not intented to realize that kind of work.
One day a manufacturer will explore 3D printing and i'm quite sure the number of references will explode, and every timeframe will be deeply covered, it is just a matter of time.
I'm finishing two last units, and i'm starting a new project, putting this one on hold, on an another forgotten timeframe : the Catepanate of south italy !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Konrad on 11 Jan 2020, 20:43

Stunning work!
My respect.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Chariobaude on 29 Feb 2020, 10:20

Dear bennos' boys, let me introduce you one of my last unit for this project: the Equites sagittarii clibanarii
To be honest, this unit is not located at the end of the fourth century in Gaul, but in Africa.
But i was always searching more diversity in this project, and, lucky me, the late roman warfare gave birth of one of the most overspecialized army in history.

This unit is a vexillatio of super-heavy cavalrymen, fully protected (and their horses too), armed with bows and kontos, a very long spear.

We know eight units of that kind, and almost all of them have in their name Persae, parthi or even palmirenorum : as good pragmatists, the romans adopted the war specialties of their enemies by constituting units from prisoners of war. They sent them to theaters of distant operations and capitalized on their skills by integrating Roman recruits.

and now, pictures of my unit, made with two hat references and some conversions : sassanides and parthi cataphractarii. the shield pattern is obviously the roman one

For the others pictures and a complete description of this precise unit, click here !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 16 Apr 2021, 22:42

I totally forgot this thread !
Obviously this project continues, but very slowly, almost all units are now made...
I have strengthened the ranks of the armies based in Italy, Brittany and Africa, I have now well exceeded 1500 miniatures, apart from a few units already planned (and some produced but not yet photographed), everything will now depend on the manufacturers. ..

the pontinenses
link (training at the fort) : https://comitatusgaulois.wordpress.com/2021/04/16/pontinenses/

The ala Petriana
link (storming a rebelled city) : https://comitatusgaulois.wordpress.com/2020/09/19/ala-augusta-gallorum-petriana-milliaria/
Chariobaude  France

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress