Work in Progress

Ming army project (Battle of Byeokjegwan,1593)

Posted by lirui on 17 Jun 2020, 06:02

OwenChpw wrote:You know a lot of the old images don't work anymore, but if you would ever compile the old posts with pictures into a blog I would read it. From what I've been told, the Osprey's on Ancient and Medieval China are inaccurate and I just get all my info from online research and such.

I've actually found it quite difficult to find English sources on Korean forces in the Imjin war, such as the Righteous armies. I feel like I'm scrapbooking across the internet which isn't ideal. One thing I can't work out at all was how common was dual wielding swordsmen? The martial reenactments at the tourist spots are cool and I'd love to remake it in mini form.

Hi OwenChpw:
I'm glad you're interested too :P
Osprey's on Ancient and Medieval China :xd: , the pictures after the Yuan Dynasty are almost all wrong. :( After all, it was written decades ago.

In China, it was unable to access GOOGLE, WIKI, FB, etc. There is indeed a barrier in information exchange

About dual wielding swordsmen..... it is very rare, cream of the crop,must be a master, because the two hands dual wield need very skilled in coordination.If Korea's military is strong, japanese won't take Seoul in 19 days, the korean king fled to the border to seek asylum, pray for suzerain the Ming dynasty emperor to send troops for help. :xd:
lirui  China

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 17 Jun 2020, 06:26

lirui wrote:
In China, it was unable to access GOOGLE, WIKI, FB, etc. There is indeed a barrier in information exchange

Yeah, I'm relying on project logs and blogs to get info. There's a few helpful people on Quora. The dragonsarmory.blogspot is where I get most of my stuff.

lirui wrote:About dual wielding swordsmen..... it is very rare, cream of the crop,must be a master, because the two hands dual wield need very skilled in coordination.If Korea's military is strong, japanese won't take Seoul in 19 days, the korean king fled to the border to seek asylum, pray for suzerain the Ming dynasty emperor to send troops for help. :xd:

Ah, thanks, it's such a cool look, I'll have to try making some warriors like that at some point.

BTW If anyone wants to look at the old images, just copy and paste in a word document, for some reason it works fine like that. I spent an hour compiling useful pictures from here, if anyone wants the word file, send me a PM.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by lirui on 29 Jun 2020, 13:58

lirui  China

Posted by lirui on 04 Jul 2020, 16:48

before the battle [Tachibana in the future in the Korean campaign]Tachibana Muneshige created about 200 gold foil peach pocket, the purpose is to show the discipline and military power of Tachibana family.

lirui  China

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Jul 2020, 01:09

The thing that grabs me the most is actually the little detail about the golden foil peach shaped helmets. I love the history behind it, I see it in miniature form and that's a whole story and statement of pride that is brought out on the battlefield and contested with different cultures.

Did you come across any other unique cultural battle traditions like the gold helmets in your research? I just want some ideas in miniature making, something fun that would stand out. Can apply to Japanese, Korean or Chinese soldiers.

Do you have any good references for unit names? So far I can only find stuff like the Byakkotai (white tiger unit), Genmutai (Black tortoise unit) and the Seven Spears of Shizuatake (Shizugatake no schici-hon-yari) so I get the impression that unit names were based on animals (even mythological ones like dragons) and numerals.

Do you know unit names for Korean units? It's fairly easy to find references of Chinese units but Korean units is very difficult for me.

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Jul 2020, 08:21

Beautiful artwork.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by lirui on 06 Jul 2020, 18:53

Do you have any good references for unit names? So far I can only find stuff like the Byakkotai (white tiger unit), Genmutai (Black tortoise unit) and the Seven Spears of Shizuatake (Shizugatake no schici-hon-yari) so I get the impression that unit names were based on animals (even mythological ones like dragons) and numerals.

Do you know unit names for Korean units? It's fairly easy to find references of Chinese units but Korean units is very difficult for me

I think the name of the animal or something like that, probably comes from swordsmen movies. :mrgreen:
Korea's institutions imitate the Ming Dynasty , names changed , it's official name was changed too. I think the first thing to know is the function of the department .
Like the Ming Dynasty, there were central and local armies
Local armies for example, famous troops, tiger hunters, cavalry in Hamgyong , and navy in Jeolla.
lirui  China

Posted by Ray.Caruana on 06 Jul 2020, 19:08

Beautiful. Well done!
Ray.Caruana  Malta

Posted by lirui on 18 Jul 2020, 17:27

lirui  China

Posted by Bessiere on 19 Jul 2020, 00:56

Sorry to sound like a broken record but these are simply magnificent.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 20 Jul 2020, 06:46

Might as well copy paste old positive comments at this point, I'm trying to think of original ways to reword the same ideas.

Posted by MABO on 21 Jul 2020, 06:15

Bessiere wrote:Sorry to sound like a broken record but these are simply magnificent.

:xd: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Egbert on 21 Jul 2020, 07:08

Breath Breaking outstanding painted figures! :oops:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by whocares2020 on 21 Jul 2020, 23:58

what a masterpiece ! beautiful ! Do you have a web site that posts or sell all these figures ?
whocares2020  Canada

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 22 Jul 2020, 00:14

whocares2020 wrote:what a masterpiece ! beautiful ! Do you have a web site that posts or sell all these figures ?

Yeah, seriously I'd place an order.

Posted by lirui on 26 Jul 2020, 16:16

whocares2020 wrote:what a masterpiece ! beautiful ! Do you have a web site that posts or sell all these figures ?

Thank you for your attention and fancy.
A friend is selling, working capital is limited ,stagnant economy, and he's trying to stop piracy.
Please contact <4621244@qq.com>;As far as I know, he only sold in China :xd:

lirui  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 26 Jul 2020, 22:07

The shields are mindblowing. You painted them free hand, didn't you?!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Jul 2020, 22:38

I think he said there is a pattern imprinted on the model. If so, it does very little to diminish the achievement.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by lirui on 05 Aug 2020, 16:07

MABO wrote:The shields are mindblowing. You painted them free hand, didn't you?!

Here's the secret :-D
lirui  China

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 06 Aug 2020, 02:42

I didn't know brass imprints for shields was an option, but then Google doesn't either. I'm guessing there could be an entire market of direct creator to distributor network that make stuff like this, think of all the great minis that could be out there any no one knows about them. At least we get to see lovely painting and sculpts as always!

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress