Work in Progress

Cabbages and Things

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Apr 2015, 16:37

Mrs B,is out shopping,and as for me,it`s Cabbages. No not the eating of them,but more of trying to make some. I decided not to place this on tutorials,because good or bad I just have no idea just how my Cabbages will turn out.

What with Gunnar creating djungle plants,and baking strange cakes,and selling them to seedy fellows,I thought I`d do a sample Cabbage Patch to see if it can be done. So for now screwed up paper torn from an A4 size sheet. Now I`ve tried to make e`m before ,( plan A ) ,but when placing them into a colour wash with added glue the darn things just unfolded ,and took on the appearance of rather thin strips of lettice.
So in Comic Book Style, I`ll stamp a big B on this Cabbage Patch,Batch,and see how they turn out. No! I mean I need e`m to stay turned in. Having made them each a tiny blot of P V A Glue upon an old off cut of card used before in the process of dry brushing, I plunked each one onto it. What to do next? Well don`t ask me, I have never ever raised up a Cabbage before from seed, or indeed from a paper idea either ,but I have a cunning plan. Which I will reveal later even if it fails.

Now as for Things! Like in the title! Well there`s lots of things,Heavy Books mainly laid so to keep my three foot,by two foot Base flat,and thus avoiding it curling up like one of my Cabbages! Oh Yes, the new arrivals seem to have wonderd along my table top ,and seem rather interested in my Cabbage Patch and an old table. As for that table it was one of some I made to display in tiny shop windows,but before I could stain them with colour the shops went BUST! Now they are all 99p or £1 shops so no call for tables at all. Just how this one got slung onto my Batch of Greens I don`t know. Oh yes,the railway Water Tower is finished,and the curragated card board seem`s to have been a success.

The two figures eyeing the table.

"Are you sure that you want this table?"
"Yes Dear,what with just moving in we need a new table,don`t we? " The little fellow said.
"Oh! Yes,but I`m not to keen on the pencil line along the top."
"That`s OK! I said,I`ll get rid of that when I stain it a nice colour for you,and you can have it for free." The Edwardian lady full of beans,clapped her hands in happy response, and asked, "Does that offer include chairs too?"
"No Lady",I answered ,"but U could try Pound Land ! " BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 27 Apr 2015, 21:15

reminds me of this:

Nice story on the end!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Apr 2015, 09:54

Nice idea!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Apr 2015, 11:37

Music and Nice will do guys for this odd topic of making Cabbages well fit for a certain metaphorical union character ,Old Jack! A true Red ,White & Blue,________________ King! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Apr 2015, 22:04

All my figures have arrived from Andy Stadden, and these have taken delight to view my very odd Cabbage Patch too. It seems that upper crust couple, didn`t want the Table after all.
As you know this was plan B. I will endeavour to do much better with plan C,which will involve casting metal ones.

More Things to show you is the sitting down poses that completes the whole set of Edwardian Figures. 60 Fine Cast Figures in total,yes indeed. As can be clearly seen they are perfect scale for some of my HoneyWell Cottages. The Houses ,and Cottages are to have Vegtable Gardens in back of them so it is well worth taking time out myself in order to make them there Cabbages,which in my mind seem quite the hardest to model. So hardest stuff first easy stuff later. There will also be Allotments too.
Mrs B,laughed at the title of the book I placed all this stuff on. I saw the funny side of it too. Can You? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 01 May 2015, 09:41

Very creative Paul! :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 01 May 2015, 09:59

I second that and I am really thinking about these Edwardians...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 May 2015, 10:29

_________________________________________________THINGS__________________________________________________

Often is the case with many a Modeller,is that they are indeed put off from buying HO 00 Scale Railway Figures.
So Jan, I thought this would show correctly the size of these Edwardian Figures. I plan to use many of them on an early American Style Railway Section ,that is after I get plans drawn up of new scratch building projects. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 05 May 2015, 13:48

Thank you very much, Paul. The figures are really lovely. How was the service? I think there is no real webshop?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 May 2015, 15:33

Hi Jan,Google, Andrew C Stadden Miniature Figurine , Sculptor, Model Maker.
Or Google, www acstadden,co,uk This will give you his Webshop on Line. I can highly recommend this Seller. Service is very good and quick. Orders are sent out in envelopes, which surprised me,but figures are well wrapped up inside.
The figures are trimmed , before they are sent out. So give them a clean and paint them. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 11 May 2015, 11:16

Thanks, Paul!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 May 2015, 19:43

The Cabbage Patch, now seen with extra stuff I`m working on,and a guardian installed.
I managed to obtain a good looking Scarecrow with black birds.A quick paint job needed when I find the time.

Price £1.79 for 10,and Free Post from China. A slight conversion applied with the top ring being clipped off,and a pin fixed in place with Greenstuff! I think he `s well worth 18p.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2015, 15:31

Knowing full well that you can indeed ,buy paper or plastic plants to scale,i however in my minds eye wanted to take a different route for this Topic, Cabbages and Things ,and wanted to add a certain twist into making things.

The trail to the cabbage patch begins

With two more Grand Children on the way Mrs B,has been Knitting Baby Stuff,and so had a need to buy lots of wool,and review pages upon pages of Novelty Baby Buttons on Line.

An occupation I found myself doing too. So I bought some very cheap novelty buttons too,in order to do Mr Triggles fun time Cabbage Patch. I`ll make tiny push in moulds ,and any left over Plaster of Paris can be put to good use making these impressions into rather special cabbages. These are I feel the closest things that when painted will look like a proper meal fit for any pop up Pink Bunny to enjoy. I`m always quite serious about being eccentric, and having fun especially in this hobby ,and so I might even add a few bunnies too.
If I have raised a single smile ,the object of this exercise has been well achieved. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 26 Aug 2015, 15:41

Beano Boy wrote: Image

That looks more like a lettuce than cabbage to me. Still, it is really cool idea.
But is it a bit too large for 1/72 scale?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 27 Aug 2015, 13:47

Rabbit food??? :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Marvin on 27 Aug 2015, 19:45

Image*

:joker:

*Meant to add the set title - "Heavy Brassicas (Command Set)"
Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Aug 2015, 07:23

Dalibor, although we grow cabbages big in Norfolk,you have raised a good point on the size of my novelty buttons. Sob! Sob!
I could read up "How to Reduce Sizes", in a problem solving issue of the Beano.
:read: That's interesting.
Or my buttons could simply be pushed into the Oyumaru moulding stuff slightly. Leaving a much more smaller impression to fill up. I`ll go try it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Aug 2015, 07:50

Oh, Marvin, that made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by KenzoSato on 28 Aug 2015, 11:41

Fantastic
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Aug 2015, 17:57

I Guess You Think That's Funny Marvin? __________________________ Guess what,So do I. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Work in Progress