Work in Progress

Hat industries} French Voltigeurs

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Oct 2014, 12:43

What follows are pictures of French light Voltigeurs that I painted using the guide on the Hat Industries site. So I cannot say they are painted correct or otherwise. ( The stripe down the legs seem odd to me.)

Above painted in enamel paints. So this is the BEFORE part.

These figures are expendable.

Above is the AFTER part.

Quickshade applied .I brushed it on rather than dip and shake option.Now these remind me of Britains figures in the old shiny toy days of yesteryear. This is a test to see how this stuff reacts to enamel paints, like will it change the colour. The next step in this experiment is to apply the Antishine! The end result will be shown soon. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 20 Oct 2014, 15:36

Good job Paul :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 21 Oct 2014, 17:15

Looks good indeed! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2014, 17:45

I added the Anti-shine! Results later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 21 Oct 2014, 19:14

You make me jealous with those Airfix figures! :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 21 Oct 2014, 20:01

That anti shine, does it really works?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2014, 22:45

Antishine works,but reviews for spray-cans recommended 2 or three spraying on figures. I therefore decided to brush mine on. I intend to save time, not use more of it on modelling projects. My figures have been painted in enamel paints and I wanted to know if this Quick Shade would damage the colours or crack if this stuff was used on them. That is why I used model figures that were not my best work,and also because they are HAT figures made of that rubbery stuff,they have gone brittle. Just lightly doing this job,one of the muskets broke off.Later I intend to make my own washes and antishine. I will show results later because the figures are drying. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Oct 2014, 00:40

This is the end result, slight improvement. One broken musket! The figure at the top far right,needed more Quick Shade.

I did try painting today,using Army Painter stuff.It is very awkward, painfull and diffircult , because of all the screw on and off lid`s.This is not good for my hands because I have very little grip.Inspite of all this I painted one figure,a pitiful sight for my first use of acrylic paint. Mrs B,out shopping today bought me some Humbrol Matt Cote,so I will be testing this out on figures too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by vellek on 23 Oct 2014, 17:14

Nice work, BB. Pity about the musket snapping off. First you can't get the d@mn things to stay straight, then they break! :angry3:
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MiniatureMadness on 23 Oct 2014, 17:51

Hi, im a new member to the forum and i need some help. I have worked out how to reply to posts but i do not have any idea how to post myself. any advice?
MiniatureMadness  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 23 Oct 2014, 18:02

Hi MM. When you're on this page http://bennosfiguresforum.com/index.php select subforum you wish to post in. For example Gallery in 20mm -1/72 scale. When you're there clik at "Post new topic" (orange square with white letters). Write post title (subject) and write your post and then click "submit".

And welcome to the forum :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Oct 2014, 19:35

You are so right Vellek,concerning bits snapping off. I suppose I`ve lost about a box full since shooting began last year for projects on the Forum.I feel that Hat industries have made leaps and bounds on their ranges of newer figures ,but that dam rubber stuff is still in play. I try to treat them like fine China,but just the slight pressure of the brush caused the latest casualty. However I have enjoyed doing this sort of odd review on Quickshade stuff,and antishine. Although I cannot recommend it ,this opinion is based on my own incompetence with this method of finishing figures

Mrs B,as always kind bought this product for me to practice on a few figures. Pleanty of stuff inside the jar and you can thin it down with White Spirits! It is Antishine varnish. Humbrol have a You Tube slot where they explain and use this stuff,and after looking there, I`ll try this out soon. If there are Members who do use it or have used it. Or indeed use similar your views, and friendly comments would be most welcome here on this topic. Or brighter still your own Topic.So guys why not get your fingers typing. Everyone needs a little help at times, especially LITTLE Old me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Work in Progress