General

BANG!

Posted by C M Dodson on 09 Feb 2023, 11:37

I came across this little gem whilst doing some research .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqJiWbD08Yw

I have recently come across some almighty explosion representations and this helps put things in perspective I feel.

Enjoy, take cover.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 09 Feb 2023, 19:25

That's very good, especially the first part with the Semtex.

As well as being a musket officer for many years and being around black powder, for most of the 90s I worked as a pyrotechnist (a job I actually got because I was a re-enactor - I knew what the job title meant in the job centre).

For the most part the job was to travel up and down the country, set up firework displays, let them and then pack everything up and bring it back home. It was hard work, but oh! So much fun! :-D :-D :-D :-D :yeah:

We did get to do a job in Lincolnshire , to rig a mock tank battle.

The first part was to make the simulator charges for the tank guns using one component. Unfortunately as made the charges were too powerful, so I had to make new ones, which made using a reduced amount of the original component, but with a table-spoon of black powder - so you got a decent blast even from the reduced component but the bp created a decent amount of smoke to go with it.

We also simulated a napalm attack on a control tower building. I won't say what we used, but there were 12 x 2 litre plastic bottles of it - all fused to go off one button) sited round the building we were stood on and when the aircraft passed over, I pushed the button and it all went day-glow! (I have done a lot of things in my life and that still ranks as one of my favourites). I saw it on video - and it looked incredible.

Using used engine oil, gaffer tape and stuff like that are all standard practice - ground burst explosions are best simulated using sifted peat - it looks like clods of earth, but there are no stones in it to make shrapnel.

Thanks for sharing the video, really enjoyed it.
steve_pickstock  England

Return to General