General

Fantasy game creation, board and universe

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Nov 2022, 18:38

2 years ago I set out to create a game using the basics of Heroquest with some DnD thrown in for my son who now has teens of his own. I got carried away and created a new continent, Ataris and started writing the backstory to support it. I wrote a few new rules that I thought were pretty cool incorporating furniture, jumping on or over it and sewers and forming shieldwalls. I painted up well over 100 characters in 28mm (reaper size) but took no pictures. Lots of dragonborn, dwarves, elves and men but also Orcs, Abishai, Grung, Dragons and a few dozen other species not to mention dozens of doors, tables and other furniture. Here's the game board and map of Ataris. I'll copy a snippet of the backstory below.

Smaragon was then unleashed, flying Southeast in pursuit of it's prey. Obsidrix spies had kept him informed of events and he had prepared for the coming fight.

He lured the iron dragon to a place where a magnetic vortex randomly formed over a vast field of ore. Heated by veins of lava it was always in flux and could attract or repel anything of metal with tremendous force. Realizing too late what it had wandered into the full weight of Smaragon crashed to the ground, its shoulder wedged into crack filled with bubbling lava. It's scales began to soften and high above Obsidrix circled with a mighty spear in hand. Soon the moment to strike would be right when it's scales turned to a cherry-red color he knew it would be as if striking naked flesh.

It was only by the quick action of the wizards Shemwar and Shemlos conjuring several water elementals to throw themselves on the hottest parts of Smaragon, cooling it off enough to free itself and roll aside as the spear struck the lava and disappeared below the surface. Weakened and hurt Smaragon withdrew to fight another day.

The Iron and Black dragon would meet in battles that lasted days yet neither could find advantage. They began to fear the Black dragon could not be stopped.

It was then our hero appeared; Vognor the half dwarven/dragonborn. - and a bunch of stuff about dragonborn, crystals, draconic alphabet and more fantasy stuff. Lots more if anyone is interested on the history of Ataris. It was a fun break from Napoleonics.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Return to General