General

Diary X: June 2018 v. Susofrick

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 20:06

My quest to be a successful Mr. X continued on into June of 2018. Disheartened by the seemingly permanent cancelation of the May 2018 duel and scrambling to keep up with a very busy job and having an infant at home, the June 2018 duel presented the biggest challenge yet.

The figure to be used was a special Figz Napoleon with his leg resting on a dice by none other than Alex! It was more than a little intimidating to be working with such an amazing figure that Remco sent me. I wanted to do a very good paint job and photograph to do the figure justice. Unbeknowst to me at the time, it was also a revenge duel for Gunnar.

On the night of June 27 at about 7:00 PM my figure was nearly done. That was when my then-9-month-old son, in my care because his mother was at a board meeting, got a small piece of cauliflower lodged in his airway and ceased breathing.

I rushed the little guy into the bathroom and hit him firmly in the back to dislodge the obstruction. The baby did cough and some blood and saliva came out, but he still was not breathing. I knew I had only seconds to clear his airway but I did not know where in the house I had placed my phone. My instincts also told me not to let go of the child and to keep him upright.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 20:13

So I ran outside screaming "help" at the top of my lungs. Luckily we live in a residential neighborhood with some excellent families present. The house across the street is home to generations of professional athletes, so I ran their with my son and knocked frantically. They were home and a nurse who lives next door heard my cries and also came running.

The emergency services were called immediately and the nurse started administirring life-saving measures at the direction of the dispatcher. My son's face was as white as a sheet and he still did not appear to be breathing.

I could hear sirens in the distance. My baby boy was in the best hands possible so I went back to my house to retrieve my phone, call my wife, and check on my older son. He was watching a video and eating his food and seemed to be fine.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 20:18

When I went back outside, the EMTs had arrived and were loading my baby boy into the ambulance. They told me to grab a shirt and I could ride along to the hospital. I was confused at that moment and thought they meant a shirt for my son, but it was for me.

A short ride to the hospital, and when they unloaded him his color was starting to return. I was questioned by the police during this period and, probably foolishly, spoke to them freely about what was happening. When the officer and I heard my son crying, he said "that is a very good sign" and left soon after.

My wife joined me at the hospital around this time. She was frantic, as can be imagined. She ended up leaving her car, engine running, near the hospital entrance. It stayed in that position for several hours.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 21:52

Here is how he looked that night.

Believe it or not, this view represents a vast improvement. His color returned and he was responsive and soon enough acting like his normal self.

We had to wait at the hospital for several hours while they tested his little heart, airway, oxygen levels and the like. But I started to realize that things might turn out okay when I saw how irritated he was that he had tubes stuck in his arm and patches on his chest and no sign of his favorite blanket and it was starting to get late.

Here is that same boy, last summer:

And here he was with his brother just a few days ago:

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 22:02

We got the baby home from the hospital but we had to keep a close eye on him for the next few days. Needless to say, my concentration was shaken and I had very little time or desire to finish my figure. I came this close to emailing Remco to request an extension. But he emailed me on June 30 to say that my opponent had turned his entry in. So on July 1, I popped outside, placed the figure on top of my son's yellow play car, and sent in my entry even though I had not quite time to finish it all the way.

Here is a link to the original duel:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21779

Won by Susofrick and well done. He got his revenge against me after our duel over the Swedish Grenadier from earlier in my career as Mr. X. Susofrick's entry was superior to mine in every way, and I especially liked his use of terrain to decorate up the base.

In the future, if others are not able to turn in their entries as promised, I will be curious to hear what their excuses may be. My story turned out well, from a fear of losing my son to having a happy, vibrant, and very resourceful 3 year old son today. I can't say that the trauma of that day has left me yet, though. I am not sure it ever will.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Oct 2020, 22:17

Also, do not forget that there is a duel running currently:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24075

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by pedro on 29 Oct 2020, 00:11

What a scare! The best news is knowing that your family is ok. Your son is a champion. Congratulations!!
pedro  Spain

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Oct 2020, 02:23

Thanks very much Pedro. I am truly blessed to have a safe and happy family.

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Oct 2020, 08:17

Oh my! What a scare! Agree with Pedro. And Nappie still haven't got that pizza. And it was a very near-run thing, that duel!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 29 Oct 2020, 13:41

End good, all good! :thumbup:

But not with that duel! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Oct 2020, 18:23

Peter wrote:End good, all good! :thumbup:

But not with that duel! ;-)

I did not know the ending while the experience was happening. So glad it ended up the way it did.

As for the duel, a well-deserved win by Gunnar is a fine ending indeed.

Perhaps Susofrick and I will conduct a rubber-match some day.

Posted by santifernandez on 29 Oct 2020, 19:06

A great scare and a great ending, I'm happy for you.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Oct 2020, 00:59

Bluefalchion,i'm glad your family is now safe and well. :thumbup: And The Good Little Lad is Well.

In reply,
Flash Back Trauma, risers from the pit of your stomach, and leaves your heart in your mouth that's for sure. i know this only to well because of the PTSD i myself suffer. It might seem odd but talking with others who suffer it, can help but it will always be there and one must deal with it when and if it returns.i am now helping in a small way with counseling others with psychological problems. It is the wounded of society helping the wounded, and it does make a difference. i always advocate for everyone to keep busy in a hobby of some kind. It helps no end especially now at this time of universal rules of change. Right O,i've said enough.

:coffee: From the evergreen gardens of Fiddle Wood UK, Greetings to all. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Oct 2020, 04:50

Beano Boy wrote:Bluefalchion,i'm glad your family is now safe and well. :thumbup: And The Good Little Lad is Well.

In reply,
Flash Back Trauma, risers from the pit of your stomach, and leaves your heart in your mouth that's for sure. i know this only to well because of the PTSD i myself suffer. It might seem odd but talking with others who suffer it, can help but it will always be there and one must deal with it when and if it returns.i am now helping in a small way with counseling others with psychological problems. It is the wounded of society helping the wounded, and it does make a difference. i always advocate for everyone to keep busy in a hobby of some kind. It helps no end especially now at this time of universal rules of change. Right O,i've said enough.

:coffee: From the evergreen gardens of Fiddle Wood UK, Greetings to all. BB

Thanks for the kind wishes and the wise thoughts, Paul.

You know, in this great big world, it is a lucky thing that we few at Bennos Figure Forum have found each other. I have shared this story with only a small number of others.

I haven't gone to see a counselor since this incident, although I have at other times for other reasons. Perhaps I will yet. But I can assure you every time my second boy takes too big a bite, I stop everything and watch him until I am sure he is okay.

Posted by Kekso on 31 Oct 2020, 13:34

I'm happy to see your son is alright and grows up well. And I voted for you :xd:
And we will beat Gunnar someday, oh yes, we will beat him one day :mrgreen:

Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to General