General

The finding of a new (and expensive) treasure

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Aug 2020, 16:54

This year my holidays have consisted of a car trip through several towns on the Spanish Camino de Santiago (Way of Saint James), located in the north of my country. :love1:

Whenever I go to visit a new city (in Spain or abroad) I consult on the internet if there is any model shop there and I did so this year too.

In almost all the cities visited there was at least one model shop, but when I went to visit them they used to be actually toy shops. Only in some of them they had some 1/72 scale plastic figure sets. Unfortunately, they were very usual sets that I already had. :(

But there was one exception. When I entered one of the stores I found an incredible variety of items of all kinds, from toys for children to railway modeling and figures in 1/72. The offer in 1/72 was huge and they not only had usual sets, but also others that I knew or believed were out of production from long time, hence the title of my post, which I explain below.

More than a year and a half ago, I published here a post entitled "The finding of a treasure" (http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=22195&p=242739&hilit=The+finding+of+a+treasure#p242739).

At that time the treasure was a good amount of Airfix, Atlantic and Matchbox figures from my childhood and that of my brother that my mother found unexpectedly stored in a bag inside a closet in her home.

I have now added in the title of the post two words: "new" because I consider the current discovery is another fantastic treasure and "expensive" because this time it wasn't free. :shock:

Actually, the price of everything I wanted to buy was quite high and it was about to trigger a marital conflict with my wife. Finally, she allowed me to make the purchase with one condition: I had to sell some of the items purchased in order to recover at least part of the money invested. Needless to say, I accepted the condition without any complaint. :lol:

I'm totally convinced that the deal was worth it. If not, think for yourself in view of the pile of boxes I have now at home.

The entire lot:

And now some more detailed pictures of the boxes and their contents, unless a box was sealed, in which case I haven't opened it in order not to reduce its value in view of a possible subsequent sale.

Image Image

Image Image[/url]

You agree I made a good investment? Now comes the most complicated: the negotiation with my economic advisor (that is, my wife) on which sets will have to be put up for sale. :tongue:

My best regards, friends. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by sberry on 06 Aug 2020, 17:03

Wow, what a wonderful collection of "antiquities" you found there! My congratulations, this is really a treasure!
sberry  Germany

Posted by lobo on 06 Aug 2020, 17:10

Wow, I have just come from Santiago and Finisterra!
Congratulations Santi; It's incredible to find them in 2020!
I cannot even negotiated to spend time visiting any modelshop....
Antonio.
lobo  Spain

Posted by Peter on 06 Aug 2020, 17:46

Looking forward to what you will place in the marketplace of this forum. :mrgreen:

Serious you did a fantastic purchase! :thumbup:

What's in the Preiser boxes? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Aug 2020, 18:01

Perhaps the Preiser boxes are not for sale?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ben Bob on 06 Aug 2020, 20:09

Nice lot of things :yeah:
Ben Bob  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 06 Aug 2020, 23:24

Nice work Santi!!!

Nothing better than finding a good model shop with lots of treasures! I also have to negotiate with my fiancé when on holiday and wishing to go into a model shop. It usually involves me bribing her with my money and telling her to wait in a nearby cafe!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Aug 2020, 00:02

Atlantic Egyptians. Those must have been sitting on that shelf since the 80s. Nice get.

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Aug 2020, 00:42

The meandering pathway of nostalgia certainly is worthwhile wondering down every day.
Well done on your stash stretching from ancient times to that of the very stars. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Aug 2020, 00:08

Thank you, friends, I was sure that you were going to value positively the find. :thumbup:

lobo wrote:...I cannot even negotiated to spend time visiting any modelshop...

Rich W wrote:...I also have to negotiate with my fiancé when on holiday and wishing to go into a model shop. It usually involves me bribing her with my money and telling her to wait in a nearby cafe!

Bad, Antonio, bad. Couple life is a continuous succession of deals and agreements in which one wins once and the other wins another. My wife loves historical sites and museums. Although I like them too, I prefer model shops and nature. So we try to make time for everything in our visits. Take note of Rich W's tactic, his is another way of getting what you want. ;-)

Bluefalchion wrote:Atlantic Egyptians. Those must have been sitting on that shelf since the 80s. Nice get.

That's the same I thought when I saw them there, Bluefalchion. :drool:

Peter wrote:Looking forward to what you will place in the marketplace of this forum. :mrgreen ...

Yes, Peter, as soon as I negotiate with my wife what sets should be sold and at what prices, I will post it in the marketplace section. :winky:

Peter wrote:...What's in the Preiser boxes? :eh:

Bluefalchion wrote:Perhaps the Preiser boxes are not for sale?

Well, I didn't post pictures of the Preiser sets because they all have accesories in H0 scale, no figures. But now I post them and perhaps I wouldn't mind to sell them too. Here they are:

I hope you like them too. :yeah:

My best wishes to all.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Konrad on 09 Aug 2020, 11:38

Santi Pérez wrote: Now comes the most complicated: the negotiation with my economic advisor (that is, my wife) on which sets will have to be put up for sale.

I am with you my friend
Who of us (married) painters does not know the question:
"Haven't you had enough of it already?"
or:
"You can't paint them all in life ...
I always tell her:
"Honey, there are things in a man's life ..."
I used to always tell my wife that I had offered everything but nobody wanted anything.
But she hasn't believed me this for a long time. :oops:

What you're showing here reminds me of when I was a little boy.
I'm a little jealous. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Aug 2020, 21:52

Konrad wrote:...What you're showing here reminds me of when I was a little boy. I'm a little jealous. ;-)

I’m glad to give you that feeling, Konrad (the first, not the second). My intention was to share what I felt when I saw and bought these figures: remember and return to a happy childhood. :love1:

But it wasn’t to make you jealous. :oops:

In any case, pay attention to the marketplace section, because in the next days you may be able to get hold of some of the sets I’ve shown here. :mrgreen:

My best wishes.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Aug 2020, 22:50

Santi Pérez--

My 1/72 soldiers cannot eat the HO scale Preiser fruits and vegetables. They are in the wrong scale, so the men will go hungry for sure!

Only kidding, of course. I am more than sure you will find a potential buyer here at Bennos, should you choose to sell them. Wiking, for one, always livens up his dios with accessories to make it look more home like.

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Aug 2020, 14:17

I have many happy memories of shopping in hobby stores 40 -50 years ago. Trying to decide whether to buy a new ship model, more Roco tanks, Airfix infantry or save up for that lovely set of Britains behind the counter (the ones where could swap arms and heads - even wigs!). Just to rummage through such a place again would no doubt fill me with a happiness not found elsewhere. Shopping online may be damn convenient but I do miss the hands on experience. I think my first box of Airfix cost me .35 cents.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 10 Aug 2020, 20:04

Hey Santi I will not tell your wife but I found this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21838
:mrgreen: ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Aug 2020, 22:36

Bluefalchion wrote:...My 1/72 soldiers cannot eat the HO scale Preiser fruits and vegetables. They are in the wrong scale, so the men will go hungry for sure!...Wiking, for one, always livens up his dios with accessories to make it look more home like.

Bluefalchion, not only Wiking adds a variety of accessories to his dioramas to enrich them, I also do it sometimes (much less than him, that's true). And smaller scale items can be used for this purpose. The trick is to change the scale of the item used. For example, what in Preiser’s set was a big suitcase I turned into the briefcase of this woman of one of my dioramas:

Bessiere wrote:I have many happy memories of shopping in hobby stores 40 -50 years ago. Trying to decide whether to buy a new ship model, more Roco tanks, Airfix infantry or save up for that lovely set of Britains behind the counter (the ones where could swap arms and heads - even wigs!). Just to rummage through such a place again would no doubt fill me with a happiness not found elsewhere. Shopping online may be damn convenient but I do miss the hands on experience. I think my first box of Airfix cost me .35 cents.

I totally share what you say, Bessiere, I experienced the same feelings in the past with the real shopping in the store and now with the virtual shopping on the internet, the illusion isn't the same. :neutral:

Peter wrote:Hey Santi I will not tell your wife but I found this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21838 :mrgreen: ;-)

Don't worry, Peter, you can tell her. I painted those figures some years before I met my future wife, that is, they were included in the wedding dowry. :tongue:
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General