General

Diary X: September 2017 v. Marvin

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Mar 2019, 00:20

As of September of 2017, my term as Mr. X was going far better than I had ever dreamed it would: 4 wins, one loss, and three ties after 8 monthly matchups. Remco and other friends helped me to get over some disappointments and frustrations, and I was feeling pretty good. My mystery opponent for this duel graciously agreed to send me the subject figure, and even gave three different choices. I read the PSR review of the Black Hussars of Frederick the Great, set 8079. They are too big, apparently, but that did not seem to matter for a painting duel, so they were my choice.

The figures arrived along with a postcard from the hometown of my opponent. Very gentlemanly it was! But I did not realize at first that my opponent was one of my idols in figure painting, especially horses, none other than Marvin. Until Remco accidentally sent me Marvin's entry, photos and all, several weeks ahead of time. It was the only time I saw my opponent's work before the duel started in the two years.

Here is the link to the original duel:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20947

When I saw Marvin's horse and rider, I thought it was very good, but maybe not his best. Especially the photograph was a tad blurry. Perhaps I can win! I also noticed he left the fancy stitching on the sabretache, when plain black was more likely for this trooper. Also he had a humorous name, so I countered with one more serious. I worked hard on my entry, but now to find the perfect angle. Here were two that did not get picked:

Or perhaps a dramatic red background...

In the end it was all for naught. Marvin's horses are just too good. Also, he has built up so much good will in this forum community that there will always be an element of "lifetime achievement" present when evaluating his works, and very rightly so. I was extremely honored to duel against Marvin, and the voting was even pretty close. I was counting the votes while waiting in the hospital for my second son to arrive. Here he is with his mystery painter father and his older brother:

Notice the Robin suit:

So the final vote was 13--11 in favor of Marvin. A very worthy duel and it dropped my record to 4 wins, two losses, and three ties. It was on to the final three months of 2017...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 19 Mar 2019, 08:38

My best wishes for your wonderful sons !! :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Mar 2019, 08:42

Agree with Kostis. It was a great duel! And you won another wonderful son! Will he be Batman???
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Mar 2019, 10:28

Susofrick wrote:Agree with Kostis. It was a great duel! And you won another wonderful son! Will he be Batman???

No. 2 (not his real name) is still a tad young to understand about costumes. He does know how to say "hat" and he likes to look at himself in the mirror with one on. His brother has high hopes for his future in the costume department.

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 19 Mar 2019, 11:54

I guess he knows how to say Hät too :mrgreen:
Congrats for your nr. 2!!!
Actually, that dramatic red background is not bad at all
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Mar 2019, 15:50

Mr. Andrea wrote:I guess he knows how to say Hät too :mrgreen:
Congrats for your nr. 2!!!
Actually, that dramatic red background is not bad at all

If I would have used the red background, I know in my heart that Marvin still would have won the duel.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 19 Mar 2019, 18:43

11-13 against Marvin? I would say you won it as well.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Mar 2019, 22:18

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:My best wishes for your wonderful sons !! :-D

Thanks so much Kostis! They are currently 4.5 years and 18 months, and they are the apples of my eye.

Return to General