General

Diary X: July 2017 v. Deon

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Feb 2019, 06:24

Fresh off of the disaster that was the June 2017 duel, it was on to the next month. My opponent was Deon, a very skilled modeler, dioramist, and photographer who has made some very significant contributions to this forum over the years. I was especially impressed with his work in duels under the old system, where they would often feature multiple figures, elaborate scenery, and backdrops.

I have studied all the duels ever contested at Bennos. In the early days, often painters would square off using different figures. Almost invariably, the competitor who painted the superior (unpainted) figure would win. So in all my Mr. X duels, each painter worked with the identical figure. With one exception. This is it.

I had the Prussian Elites from 1806 set from HäT because I bought it for my second (losing) duel v. MABO in 2016. So when Deon challenged me to paint any rider or flagman from the Napoleonic Wars, I opted for the flagman from this set. It is my one and only HäT set, and I am not sure I will ever acquire another.

I know a lot of folks like this set, but I really don't care for it. The material used is quite rubbery, the items of equipment streak across the figure in unrealistic fashion, and the faces are especially substandard, with amorphous ears, poor proportions, and huge noses.

There are a number of great resources on the web for the flags of the Prussian army at Jena and Austerlitz, perhaps partly because the French ended up with so many of them. So I chose a design that was yellow and blue, picked an extremely generic title, and set about to painting. The flag came out well--the design is moulded on, and I was able to create some layers on the metalic features with bronze mixed with dark brown and gradually building up to the desired color.

But the figure himself, and his face, still came out looking a bit ridiculous. Here is the link to the original duel:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20805

Of course, when I learned that Deon had gone with a different figure, I was frustrated for the reasons stated. Then I saw his figure once the duel started. In fact, it is so beautiful it almost makes me want to cry.

As for my ploy to gain Gunnar's vote: he focused in on the green base of the March duel entry, and openly commented on the green shades of Sho's entry in June. So I painted the base a nice bold green, just for him.

Well the duel ended up being a tie, and Gunnar spoiled my plot by neglecting to vote at all! At the time I was still very focused on wins and losses, and once again the final vote was cast in favor of my entry resulting in said tie, so I was somewhat relieved and ready to move on to the August duel with a record of 3 wins, 1 loss, and 3 ties.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Feb 2019, 09:21

Ah, a July duel! Think I missed it due to vacation. Vacation is almost always dogwalks, blueberry-picking and chanterell-searching and no internet except FB. Two very nice entries.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Feb 2019, 10:44

Ah, forgot! Also lost a duel with Leon. Don't remember if it was the new system or the old, but I sent him a figure and he won. Well deserved too!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 18 Feb 2019, 12:36

I completely missed this duel, maybe because I was bathing in the Jonian sea :mrgreen:

Both are great entries, no wonder it ended with a tie.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Feb 2019, 14:08

Susofrick wrote:Ah, forgot! Also lost a duel with Leon. Don't remember if it was the new system or the old, but I sent him a figure and he won. Well deserved too!

Gunnar, this was your duel against Deon that I had in mind:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14010

Was there another?

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Feb 2019, 14:42

Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Feb 2019, 15:51

Mr. Andrea wrote:I completely missed this duel, maybe because I was bathing in the Jonian sea :mrgreen:

Both are great entries, no wonder it ended with a tie.

One of the reasons I picked a flagman instead of a mounted figure is that I still cannot paint horses as well as you, Marvin, and many others can.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Feb 2019, 16:19

Oh yeah I did see that one. Also very good work by both.

Return to General