General

Diary X: June 2017 Duel v. Sho

Posted by Bluefalchion on 01 Feb 2019, 22:12

The June 2017 Duel was a rematch against Sho, a brilliant modeler and figure painter who has dueled many times here at Benno's Figure Forum, and has never lost once. After defeating me in the February Duel, Sho agreed that I could select the figure for the rematch. I wanted to get him out of his comfort zone by leaving the 8mm world and the Napoleonic era. We both owned the ESCI British 8th Army WWII set, and it seemed the bagpiper would be the most fun to paint.

Because I was to duel every month, I did not want to have too many projects going at once. So I made it a rule for myself that I would never paint a figure for the next duel until the previous duel was over. However, I would at times soak the figure, trim the flash and extra plastic, mount, prime, and most importantly, research while other duels were in progress, to ensure that I could complete the entries each month.

I focused my research on this famous image:

I also wanted to make sure my piper was in a Scottish unit that was actually deployed during the North Africa Campaign. I really liked the sound of "Black Watch," and so I did some research on that historical unit and found out their regimental kilt was black and green. I was really happy with the way my figure turned out. Here is a link to the duel itself.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20692

My entry roared out to a big lead, but then Sho caught back up and passed me. On the last day, I was trailing 13--14. With only an hour left in the duel, I noticed that Sho was on the forum, as he posted in another topic. The last vote came in, and it was for me, resulting in a tie. Sho will probably never admit this, but I suspect he magnanimously cast the last vote for me.

So what went wrong? Sho's entry was really good, especially the face, and, as FredG gleefully pointed out shortly after the duel finished, I had painted the kilt the wrong color. FredG built his case with images from an actual Black Watch piper. Ironically, I had looked at those very same images during my research, but the regulation about the red kilt just went completely over my head.

I was pretty sore at the time, and couldn't defend myself without blowing the secret of Mr. X's identity. And of course there was the little problem that FredG was right. I made the unwise decision to enter the thread and throw gasoline on the fire with some snide comments. I am pretty sure this is the only dueling thread in the history of the forum to be locked by the mods because of all the bickering. I hereby apologize for my inadvisable contribution to that bickering.

So it was on to July, now with a record 3-1-2. And there was more disappointment and frustration ahead. But I was determined to forge on.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by FredG on 02 Feb 2019, 10:44

Gleeful? That's a very bad choice of terminology. Your post reads like an apology except fot the gleeful addition which makes it appear quite snide again.

I would have been far happier if you'd painted the tartan the correct colour in ther first place.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Feb 2019, 13:15

FredG--

In that case, I withdraw the gleeful, but not the apology. It was my intention to surrender unconditionally, not to give fresh offense. As for painting the tartan the correct color, I have an idea in that general area. Please be on the lookout for a PM from me.

Posted by Graeme on 02 Feb 2019, 15:33

Actually, at the time I thought the intention of both contestants was to paint a version of the Government Sett. Therefore I voted for yours because your darker colours looked more realistic.

Bluefalchion wrote:Ironically, I had looked at those very same images during my research, but the regulation about the red kilt just went completely over my head.

That can happen, I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many many pictures I looked at of Murat holding his very famous riding crop before I used hot water to straighten out "that stupid looking wobbly sabre Strelets put on the figure" :oops:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 03 Feb 2019, 03:28

Dear Bluefalchion, I was one of the 14 who voted in favor of your participation. Of course I have to humbly admit that historical knowledge is not one of my powerful trumps. :oops:
In any case, the reason I want to publish is that I just want to welcome your kind reply. :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Feb 2019, 17:32

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Dear Bluefalchion, I was one of the 14 who voted in favor of your participation. Of course I have to humbly admit that historical knowledge is not one of my powerful trumps. :oops:
In any case, the reason I want to publish is that I just want to welcome your kind reply. :yeah: :-D

Thanks for your vote and your thoughts. I will try to show a little update if I have time today. Meanwhile, don't forget to visit this duel:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22355

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Feb 2019, 10:31

It was a fun duel and the thread after was very fun! And I am always very fond of Sho's contributions so I try to vote for him whenever I can. This time I didn't know, but managed to vote on him anyway. This little diary can be very inspiring for, at least, joining a duel. I can only say that it is great fun! Still!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2019, 14:51

Your Dairy reminded me of this.

Shimi Lovat to his friends

Picture taken soon after the Dieppe Raid August 1942. He sports an M1 Carbine

His personal Piper is seen in the foreground.

15th Lord Lovat and Baron Lovat,s British Commandos on D Day had a Piper leading the way Bill Milin, across Pegasus Bridge.
Bill Milin played the pipes at Lord Lovats funeral in 1995

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 Feb 2019, 16:03

Susofrick wrote:It was a fun duel and the thread after was very fun! And I am always very fond of Sho's contributions so I try to vote for him whenever I can. This time I didn't know, but managed to vote on him anyway. This little diary can be very inspiring for, at least, joining a duel. I can only say that it is great fun! Still!

Gunnar: I am glad you are enjoying my diary entries. The anonymity is fun but at lot has to stay unsaid while the secret of Mr. X's identity is still in place. But now the floodgates are open. It seems you had voted against me most every time up until this point, so in the July 2017 duel I hatched a scheme to bring you over to my side. When I compose my next diary entry, I'll explain all about it!

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 Feb 2019, 16:05

BB--

Those brave men and so many of their fellows helped rid the world of the scourge of Hitler and his foul allies. Will we ever see their like walking this earth again?

Posted by FredG on 05 Feb 2019, 17:18

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Feb 2019, 17:22

Bluefalchion wrote:
Gunnar: I am glad you are enjoying my diary entries. The anonymity is fun but at lot has to stay unsaid while the secret of Mr. X's identity is still in place. But now the floodgates are open. It seems you had voted against me most every time up until this point, so in the July 2017 duel I hatched a scheme to bring you over to my side. When I compose my next diary entry, I'll explain all about it!

Whatever you come up with I can always say my puppy ate the figure/paint/brush/painting hand/etc etc :-D If I have the time it can be great fun! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Feb 2019, 23:57

Posted by FredG on 07 Feb 2019, 13:29

:-D :yeah: Excellent work there young man
FredG  United Kingdom

Return to General