General

The finding of a treasure

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Dec 2018, 17:29

Last Saturday, as every week, I went to my mother's home to visit her.

After the death of my father (early this year) she’s making a general cleaning in the house to get rid of clothes and other things that she no longer needs.

It's amazing that after so many years that my brother, my sister and I left our parents' house to get married, taking our things with us, how others can appear that we didn't see and didn't know what happened to them.

This is what happened last Saturday. When I arrived, my mother told me that she had found in a closet a bag with little soldiers. It was a fantastic surprise, the finding of a treasure: inside the bag there were hundreds of Airfix, Atlantic and Matchbox figures, grouped in the historical sections that my brother and I did many years ago (Moderns, American Far West and Ancients; not Napoleonics this time).

When I left my parents’ home, almost twenty five years ago, I took all my things with me, including the plastic figures I had been collecting from my childhood to that time. But now I have realized that not all of them came with me in that travel, some remained in garrison in my old house. ;)

I have made some pictures and want to share them with you.

Atlantic Moderns (including Italian Carabinieri, Infantry with Jeep, Seamen, Medical Personnel, Commandos of San Marco and Landing Craft).

Matchbox Moderns (including WWII British, German, American, Japanese and ANZAC Infantry, Afrika Korps, 8th Army and Commandos).

Airfix Moderns (including a lot of WWII units from Germany, Britain, USA, Japan, Italy, Soviet Union, Australia, etc., as well as Civilians).

Atlantic American Far West (including 7th Cavalry, US camp, General Custer, Davy Crockett, Outlaws and Sheriffs, Cowboys, Gold Rush , Sioux and Apaches).

Airfix American Far West (including US Cavalry, Union and Confederate Infantry, Cowboys, Indians and The High Chaparral).

Atlantic Ancients (including Egyptian Pharaoh’s Court and Infantry, Roman Legionaries and Gladiators, and Trojans).

To finish, more detailed pictures of some Airfix sets, beginning with the Station Accessories (first made in 1958, according to PSR). :shock:

Civilians (from 1961).

WWII US Marines first type (from 1963).

WWII British Commandos (from 1968).

The High Chaparral (from 1971)

WWII British Infantry (also from 1971)

I hope you have liked “my treasure”. Thanks for watching. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Dec 2018, 17:39

Wow! What a find! A real treasure!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Dec 2018, 20:31

Susofrick wrote:Wow! What a find! A real treasure!

Yes, Susofrick, it's really a treasure. I don't know what made me happier: the unexpected surprise of finding them or the beautiful memories that they brought me from my childhood and adolescence. :-D

Now they have joined the rest of figures that I already had in my own house and my collection of old 1/72 plastic figures has grown considerably. I feel deeply happy. :lol:

Best regards.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Dec 2018, 20:46

A Real Cool Collection. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 10 Dec 2018, 21:59

I agree. Real treasure indeed. It worths more than its weight in gold for sure.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by huib on 11 Dec 2018, 22:55

A real treasure indeed! A few years ago I recieved a similar treasure when it appeared my brother kept all my old ww1 and ww2 soldiers in a shoe box and gave them back to me. It contained many of the same figures as your treasure. Only the egyptians and the indians my brother kept for himself. They were his!
huib  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 13 Dec 2018, 19:34

Beano Boy wrote:A Real Cool Collection. :thumbup: BB

Kekso wrote:I agree. Real treasure indeed...

huib wrote:A real treasure indeed! A few years ago I recieved a similar treasure ...

The best thing is that we find these treasures without the need of any pirate map, and they make us as happy as if they included gold coins and jewelry. Certainly, for us (fans of the miniatures) they are real gems ... aren't they? :lol:

Kekso wrote:...It worths more than its weight in gold for sure.

I don't doubt that is so, Kekso. In fact, I am open to listen to any offer that someone interested in the figures wants to make me, hahaha. :winky:

Thank you, mates. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by santifernandez on 14 Dec 2018, 20:19

Of course it is a great find, in passing I feel the death of your father.
a greeting.
santi
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 15 Dec 2018, 23:59

santifernandez wrote:Of course it is a great find, in passing I feel the death of your father.

Thank you very much, tocayo. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 04 Jan 2019, 16:56

Wonderfull find! If I could only lay my hands on those Atlantic figures! :mrgreen: ;-) :joker:

This is the kind of treasure I'm allways looking for at fleemarkets! ;-)

Thanks for showing Santi! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 04 Jan 2019, 18:57

I think many of us have taken a trip back to their youth with this post, I really enjoyed seeing these.

And treasure indeed, when you see the prices some people ask for those Pharoah figures on E-Bay they might as well be made of gold.

Seeing this has got me tempted to look in the back of the cupboards here, but I know I'll only find dead spiders.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 05 Jan 2019, 17:27

Peter wrote:Wonderfull find! If I could only lay my hands on those Atlantic figures!

On which of them, Peter, the Modern, the Far West or the Ancient ones? I warn you that the figures in the pictures are only part of my total collection, since I have enough more (but I don't want to make you jealous, ey :tongue:).

Peter wrote:This is the kind of treasure I'm allways looking for at fleemarkets!

Now I'm jealous of you. Here in Spain I haven't heard and seen those fleamarkets where can be found old little soldiers as you can find there in Belgium. :shock:

Graeme wrote:I think many of us have taken a trip back to their youth with this post, I really enjoyed seeing these.

That's really what I felt when I opened the bag and saw the figures inside, Graeme. About the Pharaoh figures check your email. ;-)

I feel happy to bring happiness to you with my post, mates. :-D

My best regards.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2019, 13:47

Dear Santi, I have also a lot of those old atlantic figures but not all of them. Not much of the modern and WW2, but the Far West is almost complete, as for the ancient ones to. I should have to check what I have and I don't have. :-D

With the fleemarkets you have to have luck to find something. And I also look at ebay. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Jan 2019, 17:19

Peter wrote:Not much of the modern and WW2, but the Far West is almost complete, as for the ancient ones to. I should have to check what I have and I don't have.

Just like me, Peter. I've got almost all the sets of the Ancient and Far West, but not too much of the WWII and Modern. We can verify which sets you and I have (it's easy to follow in PSR) and post the results here to see who is the winner. Do you accept the challenge? :winky:

Greetings. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to General