General

Am I missing something?

Posted by FredG on 22 Apr 2017, 23:24

I've just sat and watched half a dozen "Hinton Hunt" Scots Greys go on ebay for £46.09 (€55.07).

The description says they are not original castings but even if they were isn't this a little high? The horses were awful. :eh:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Apr 2017, 00:59

FredG,they bought the name tag!
One must realise the game played out on E Bay,between buyers who wish to Sell stuff on,and then callacate what profit margin they would greedily like to make,and out bid them. I watch lots of lots sold,and then trace who buys them and can view their marked up pricers on E Bay a few days later in their shops. So next time items arrive for sale,i can calculate what they are willing to bid. I recently viewed Metal Diecastings being sold for a high price knowing full well that they were not Master Patterns,from the 1950`s belonging to a certain toy company of long ago.However somebody recast them,and not the Seller. I get pleasure from outbidding Fat Cats on E Bay,but the game takes years to learn just how to play. One must always remember it is the last bid from yours you pay and not your own if you win the game. This gives one great leeway to out price every bid if you have stash to cover it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by FredG on 23 Apr 2017, 08:34

Beano Boy wrote:FredG,they bought the name tag!

Even though it says they are not originals :eh:

Beano Boy wrote:One must realise the game played out on E Bay, between buyers who wish to Sell stuff on, and then callacate what profit margin they would greedily like to make, and out bid them.

BB. That does not explain the frequent bidding higher than the 'buy it now' price on the same item. I think a lot is the fixation to win regardless of value or cost.

The thing I'm sure I'm missing is an appreciation of the figures themselves. To me they're just not that good. Even Airfix are better, possibly as old and much much cheaper.

Beano Boy wrote:I get pleasure from outbidding Fat Cats on E Bay, but the game takes years to learn just how to play. One must always remember it is the last bid from yours you pay and not your own if you win the game. This gives one great leeway to out price every bid if you have stash to cover it. BB

PS
I certainly do have the stash to be able to outbid others if I really really want to. This just doesn't happen because I like to win at the right price.
I also have a MrsG.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Apr 2017, 11:52

Well FedG,if one can obtain it at a cheaper price that is share stupidity to make higher bids then it or they are worth. I was of course referring to bidding for figures that are no longer on the mainstream market, because they have been retired. I should have made mention of this,but I did not realise fully the avenue your topic was aimed at. The years 2006 & 2007 saw lots of sets retired,when the Recession hit home big time.

The biggest price lift on E Bay are shops with Free Post items for sale,they make out big time from guys wanting more than one box,because they are getting double the price for the same item available from Model Hobbies. So for instance the new Hat figures for sale at a little over £4.00,are double the price on E Bay at £8.99 because of Free Postage added message. I do not trade with these guys unless I only need one item. When buying toy figures recently in batches of Five,with Free Postage. I reordered again and again after they posted my item,therefore making them pay postage on one item of Five figures many times over.Sure I pay the same,but they only get a 99p taste of extra profit, rather than biting all of a very nice £4.50 cream cake! :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by tom s on 23 Apr 2017, 15:30

i do miss the days where you could see who was bidding on ebay.on a few occasions i had someone contact me that what i was bidding on wasnt an original but recasts.they also sent me in the right direction for what i wanted.
tom s  United States of America

Posted by FredG on 24 Apr 2017, 15:56

We have a chance to again release an incredulous gasp or three. More new postings of "Hinton Hunt" ( not original castings) have been made and the bids are flying in.
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General