General

cactuses in 1/72?

Posted by Siegfried on 11 May 2016, 09:20

dear all,

as the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943 is my current project, I need catuses. Loads of it, as Sicilians also used them as fences to enclose farmland (somewhat similar to bocagge in Normandy in its function).
Does anyone know a good sources for cactuses in 20mm / 1/72?

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Peter on 11 May 2016, 09:29

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 11 May 2016, 09:41

Cool find Peter. I didn't knew this products exist :shock:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 11 May 2016, 09:59

Kekso wrote:Cool find Peter. I didn't knew this products exist :shock:

They even have palm and banana trees like the ones ADM used in his Pacific topic. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Siegfried on 11 May 2016, 14:53

thanks Peter!
Siegfried  

Posted by Donald Duck on 11 May 2016, 15:48

Hi man,

I have managed a way to reproduce them from scratch. To do this I use a product called 'Fimo', made by staedtler, which basically is a soft material that you can model. Once you have the final shape you can cook it into an owen to make it hard and 'seal' its look.

To make cactuses I make tiny 'rugby balloons' and then I press them a little bit, thus obtaining the classic shape of the leaves. Here it is an example of the final look.

Donald Duck wrote:Hi guys, thanks to all of you...

I think I found a way to add some vegetables :mrgreen:

I used a product called 'FIMO', which is quite easy to model and becomes hard once cooked in a owen.

And here it is with a natural color and some dusting, which should help it to match with the background.

DD, over ;)

HTH
Donald Duck  Italy

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 11 May 2016, 18:10

And finally there are 15 small cactuses in the Imex Alamo set that you can use for Sicily (the 15 large ones are only for central America I think)

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=602

Donald Duck wrote:I make tiny 'rugby balloons' and then I press them a little bit

Donald I love your scratch build cactuses! It is great your fingerprints (is it your fingerprints?) in combination with dusty color make the difference between green balloons and real plants. :yeah:
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Donald Duck on 11 May 2016, 21:47

Mr. Cryns wrote:ì

Donald I love your scratch build cactuses! It is great your fingerprints (is it your fingerprints?) in combination with dusty color make the difference between green balloons and real plants. :yeah:

That's no fingerprints: they are a careful and precise reproduction of the fine texture tipical of the north african cactus leaves, based on pictures taken in the same period of the year when the battle occurred, with the same light and weather conditions.

Just kidding, they are fingerprints, but actually that was the better texturing that I could get, so I sticked with that. Better with some dusting as I did :mrgreen:
Donald Duck  Italy

Posted by Kekso on 12 May 2016, 12:59

Scratchbuilding cactuses? :shock:
That's amazing, but not for lazy people like me :xd:

Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are so many cactuses out there ;-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Siegfried on 13 May 2016, 09:34

thanks chaps!
Siegfried  

Posted by Cryns on 13 May 2016, 09:40

Donald Duck wrote:That's no fingerprints: they are a careful and precise reproduction of the fine texture tipical of the north african cactus leaves, based on pictures taken in the same period of the year when the battle occurred, with the same light and weather conditions.

Donald Duck I have to admid: you got me with this one. I believed you were serious. :oops:

It once more makes clear I have to be carefull all the time at Benno's Forum.

Siegfried, what do your fingerprints look like? I can recommend Donalds scratch build tactus technique.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 14 May 2016, 13:04

Donald Duck wrote:That's no fingerprints: they are a careful and precise reproduction of the fine texture tipical of the north african cactus leaves, based on pictures taken in the same period of the year when the battle occurred, with the same light and weather conditions.

Mr. Cryns wrote:Donald Duck I have to admid: you got me with this one. I believed you were serious. :oops:

It once more makes clear I have to be carefull all the time at Benno's Forum.

Siegfried, what do your fingerprints look like? I can recommend Donalds scratch build tactus technique.

:mrgreen: This is what I like on this forum! Teasing and having fun! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cryns on 17 May 2016, 10:36

Peter wrote: This is what I like on this forum! Teasing and having fun!

I know, I know... :sweatdrop:
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 17 May 2016, 12:44

Making cactuses in 1/72 is one thing, but adding the needles? Very small and very sharp! Ouch! Well, some you can find among cheap sets with bigger animals. Look around a little, but maybe making your own is faster and better, well, if you forget about the needles that is!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to General