General

Workspace at HäT Forum

Posted by MABO on 03 Jun 2014, 22:21

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by David O'Brien on 04 Jun 2014, 01:45

When I read about the competition I thought people will be sending in pics of their homespun work benches. A trestle table, a beat up chair, some angle poise lamps and some odd boxes of stuff scattered about. Then one that looks like a spoof but isn't and says he has gozillions of HaT figures all tucked away in little compartments that is so OCD it would even get the white glove folks at Kew archives scratching the walls.
Where I am coming from
My first job was to set up an archive in a University and in 4 years it was the biggest in the UK and had gone from a broom cupboard to several rooms incorporating by that stage several million pounds worth of Chinese ceramics. I then sought a career move.
My hobby work space now is admittedly a room not huge and not much more than some in the other submitted pics. It has lots of boxes and there is always something on the go. No books are in my work room as they are elsewhere in my house about 12,000 of them :read: :read: :read: . Digitising them would probably take me several years of full time work and would be a Sisyphus like task and equally as pointless as that poor man's boulder task. Again something I know about as I was recommending that national archives started digitising their collections many years ago.
So I am not sure what I have to be impressed with. Is it a Susan Boyle moment or what?
HaT and their forum could probably teach a few things to the ruling people in North Korea but whatever their intention is, somebody boasting they have several hundred thousand HaT figures is weird. A couple of thousand would convince me . Is there something I have missed- are these the new bitcoins?

:think:
David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jun 2014, 04:15

When I first saw the picture I thought it to be something from a Sci Fi Movie,and I could never work in such a confined space that looked like that. I like to comfy like relax and spread out where ever and enjoy my eccentric dusty Scratch Building way`s and at odd times just try to paint a few figures along the way. ( A wonder of puzzlement which comes very unnatural to me )
Below is my little work table where I paint all my model`s.Image....Image..ImageAbove and below is my much larger work table....ImageOne of three large sandy bases are being created,and making a mess is all part of the fun-time in this hobby for me.However clearing it up is another thing altogether that is a share puzzlement to me....Image....Above the same table is very well used to work out certain planed scenes for a much larger Diorama in another room.Image
It is also used for photo shooting too in order to keep record of just what is eventually boxed up.

Both tables at odd times are also a special tongue in cheek place for me where fun time stories just unfold in play.Image,.....Image In reality my work space is my entire peaceful house ,and MayBell and Fred totally agree. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2014, 07:34

Some impressive collections: whatever keeps people happy.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Jun 2014, 10:23

Agree with his wife! Have two workspaces. One, the hobbyroom, is so crowded with boxes of figures, books, old guitars, amps and stuff that it is impossible to sit there. So I take out what I need and sit in the guestroom.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Ben Bob on 04 Jun 2014, 15:54

That guy needs a hobby.
Oh, wait a minute.... :scratch:
Ben Bob  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 04 Jun 2014, 18:31

Too neat for my taste... I like creative chaos :mrgreen:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 04 Jun 2014, 20:08

Now that guy is giving me some ideas! Must talk with my wife bout the bedroom! :mrgreen: :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by David O'Brien on 04 Jun 2014, 21:08

Chaos theory works with kids. It was and still is bad enough getting them to put the milk back in the fridge let alone replacing things in thousands of labelled boxes. My model collection hasn't prompted the slightest curiosity so it has worked though scalpel blades get spirited away by goblins. My grandchildren may yet prove me wrong.
My youngest daughter had a cat which trashed a leather sofa but wouldn't come in my work room. It works with animals as well.
Yes I have been professionally involved with collections and documentation and the only time I have seen anything like this is from fine artists where the process of documentation becomes the artwork. Peter Greenaway's Grand Terp in Holland is an example that springs to mind. see
http://www.museumserver.nl/museumkrant/ ... index4.htm
which I did find impressive.
Nevertheless this work room from third half wasn't something I was expecting from plastic soldier hobbyists.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Ben Bob on 04 Jun 2014, 21:52

On the theme of art: the first thing I actually thought of when I saw it was Louie Psihoyos' photograph, "500 TVs:"
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 04 Jun 2014, 22:05

Hey Ben, thanks for posting. Impressive picture.
MABO  Europe

Posted by David O'Brien on 04 Jun 2014, 22:29

Ben Bob wrote:On the theme of art: the first thing I actually thought of when I saw it was Louie Psihoyos' photograph, "500 TVs:"

remarkable similarity

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Emperor on 04 Jun 2014, 23:12

When I saw it I was impressed...But now when I think, the guy has good reason why he did room like that...
I remember earlier, when in my home everybody go to sleep, in midnight, when there is no sound, I felt great, I'm doing the painting and I am alone with my mind...It is a great feeling when you switch from ordinary cacophony to a silent room where you ,,become one with universe''...So what I think, the guy probably has some high pay job and he has many stress during the day, so when he gets back home he has the urge to get alone into his hobby, to dive into solitude and relax...So he made himself great room where he isolate from the rest of the world...I don't know for rest of you, but some times I want a dimension of my own, to isolate form others...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jun 2014, 04:22

Yip! 2,001 A Space Odyssy
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Jun 2014, 08:02

Emperor wrote:When I saw it I was impressed...But now when I think, the guy has good reason why he did room like that...
I remember earlier, when in my home everybody go to sleep, in midnight, when there is no sound, I felt great, I'm doing the painting and I am alone with my mind...It is a great feeling when you switch from ordinary cacophony to a silent room where you ,,become one with universe''...So what I think, the guy probably has some high pay job and he has many stress during the day, so when he gets back home he has the urge to get alone into his hobby, to dive into solitude and relax...So he made himself great room where he isolate from the rest of the world...I don't know for rest of you, but some times I want a dimension of my own, to isolate form others...

Of course. The hobby, most hobbies, have a degree of psychic cure about them.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Emperor on 05 Jun 2014, 09:17

I have at my place an attic ,a big space, only problem it is bad isolated, so the heath goes in in summer and the cold in winter...
I will eventually turn that attic into my work hangout room...
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Xantippos on 17 Jun 2014, 17:49

Some people are just mega-organized :) . I bet that guy could be better prime minister than most in the world!

Personally, I am just defeated by my thousands of soldiers and collections. The 2 hours I invest each week to tidy up are just enough to control the chaos from devouring me.
Xantippos  

Return to General