General

SYW 1/72

Posted by Fred on 25 Mar 2009, 16:08

Just to begin a new topic instead to continue to write in the GNW Dragoon one... ;-)

I'm new in this really wonderfull forum (always very kind words !).

As you know (but perhaps not...), I'm very interested by SYW period.
I'm currently drawing some uniform plates for kronoskaf SYW project site (Prussian Dragoons + flags, British cavalry + infantry, etc...).
I think I have almost all possible boxes of 1/72 figurines with tricorn : Revell SYW (yes I have several hussars boxes), AWI, GNW and a lot of napoleonics (not all for tricorns of course).

In the first hand, may I ask you who is also interested in SYW period ?

In the other hand, are you interested to play with 1/72 SYW figurines or to produce very beautiful SYW dioramas ?
Fred  France

Posted by Maurice on 25 Mar 2009, 17:04

It is a nice period of colorful uniforms :)

Preparing an Austrian regiment diorama as we speak (1 set of artillery, 2 sets of cavalry and 3 sets of infantry, with Rofur flags)
Maurice  

Posted by Siegfried on 25 Mar 2009, 17:25

One of my favourite periods in military history. However, I'm not impressed with what is currently available in 1/72. Have been tempted many times to get into 28mm therefore, but have never done so yet.

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Fred on 26 Mar 2009, 10:17

Hello Christiaan and Maurice,
Many thanks for your answers.

So only three guys interested by SYW period ?
Very few :(

You are right, Christiaan, the SYW figurines presently on the market are not very good.
Like you, I think it's why I have not yet began to seriously paint this period. I hope Zvezda will produce several good boxes in a near future.

Maurice, interesting project.
If you need some flags, I can send you some of them... for free. :P
You can see here samples of my flags :
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?
title=Image:Schorlemmer_Dragoons_Squadron_Standard.jpg
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... andard.jpg
Are you able to reduce the size and print them ?

My project is to paint SYW armies, to use them for a homemade rule based on DBA.
base = 30x30mm for one battalion (two figurines).
30x60mm for one regiment (3 or 4 figurines).
I would want to play with my two sons.
I hope they will forget a litle the "Play station"...but it will be very difficult.

I agree that GNW, AWI and Napoleonic figurines are not really accurate for SYW period but, for the purpose of playing a DBA game, it will not a very big problem.
With small conversions, the result would be fine... Not really historical, but fine.
Of course, for a diorama, it's an other thing.
Fred  France

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Mar 2009, 10:26

Hi Fred!

I think you are a little fast in your judgement. I am very interested in different historic periods. To me there is no dull historic period, just periods that I don't know much about. SYW is an interesting period and I would love to see some painted figures from it.

All the best.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Siegfried on 26 Mar 2009, 11:44

There are indeed more fans around here Fred. Benno for instance also loves the SYW, don't you benno?
Siegfried  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by efb on 26 Mar 2009, 12:36

You can count me in...

I'm happier with the sets that are available than most, but I'd love to see more.
efb  

Posted by ColeF on 26 Mar 2009, 12:59

You've propably already been here, but this website always knocks me over. :shock:
http://www.warcabinet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html
I would also like to see some more SYW figures on the market. :thumbup:
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by remmchen on 27 Mar 2009, 06:48

It seems this will come. HAT plans a 7YW-series, look here

http://pub19.bravenet.com/forum/1619281 ... ch/824908/
remmchen  Germany

Posted by Benno on 27 Mar 2009, 13:30

OH MY GOD!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

WOOHOOOOOOO!

Ok, that was my first reaction. It's great to have them finally getting really into the SYW. Perhaps my post with all the SYW pictures in the Hat forum worked! Yes yes yes yes! :-D

*BTW I'm interested in the SYW Fred
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Maurice on 28 Mar 2009, 10:03

Just been to the HäT forum, 60 posts in one day in that single thread, must be a popular war :lol:
Maurice  

Posted by Fred on 29 Mar 2009, 11:29

A lot of posts on Hät forum.
I think I will wait a little before to paint my SYW armies ;-)

What are for me the boxes Hät would have to do :

* Prussian fusiliers (but we can convert the Revell grenadiers and wait for the Zvezda grenadiers)
* Prussian cuirassiers (but we can convert the saxon napoleonic cuirassiers)
* Prussian dragoons (but we can convert the beautiful napoleonic prussian dragoons)
* Prussian artillery : light + brummers (but we can convert the Imex AWI guns for the light pieces)

With these new boxes + the revell ones, we can do prussian army and almost all protestant german armies.

* Austrian hungarian infantry + grenzers + jagers
* Austrian cuirassiers (we can't take prussian ones because horse housings are not the same) + horse grenadiers
* Austrian hussars with busby (but we can convert english napoleonic hussars -Airfix + Esci-, taking care of the design of the horse housings)

With these new boxes + the revell ones, we can do austrian army and almost all catholic german armies.

* British infantry + highlanders (we can take strelets 1745 ones but...).
* British Horse + Dragoon guards + Dragoons + Light Dragoons (we can take AWI british light cavalry)
* British artillery
* French infantry with and without turnbacks (but we can convert the excellent swedish and russian infantry boxes).
* French cavalry (but we can convert the swedish GNW dragoons for some of them).
* French artillery

With these new boxes, we can simulate SYW conflict in west germany...

I don't know yet if Hät would have to propose special boxes for russian army. Perhaps, using french infantry, prussian and austrian cavalry boxes, we could paint a very good prussian army.
I have yet to check this...

What are you thinking about this small study and proposal ?
Fred  France

Posted by Siegfried on 29 Mar 2009, 12:33

I think we need at least one dedicated big box of russian infantry:

the russian observation corps just in their waistcoats:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/7.asp

and the observation corps grenadiers
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/8.asp

russians in their typical capes:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/2.asp
and
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/6.asp

and some with their capes rolled around their shoulder:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/5.asp

and well, some ordinary grenadiers and musketeers wouldn't be bad
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collecti ... YW/1/3.asp

I would say that the Russian uniform in unique enough to get dedicated sets, at least as long as the infantry is concerned. for some proof and inspiration:
http://books.google.com/books?id=KoydaU ... 0#PPA26,M1

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Fred on 29 Mar 2009, 13:54

Christiaan Harinck wrote:I think we need at least one dedicated big box of russian infantry. I would say that the Russian uniform in unique enough to get dedicated sets, at least as long as the infantry is concerned.
Christiaan

Hello Christiaan,

You are definitely right for the Observation Corps (no coat and cavalry boots and they are the only ones like that) and grenadiers.
But, for "regular" infantry, I think prussian or french infantry could perhaps fit...
Raincoats were never used during battles (always in wagons).
For sure, cavalry uniforms (in summer time - campaign dress) was very near the prussian).
Hät would have perhaps to do a box for Horse grenadiers and kossaks...
Fred  France

Posted by Adam on 29 Mar 2009, 14:44

I think I fit in with Suso here, like the uniforms, like the idea, but don't know a great deal about it... Give me some new figures and a little time and I will soon be a huge fan.

This thread is interesting to read anyway, and would probably be worth sendng to hat when you have finished, or at least summarised as it contains some of the usefull "plan of attack" as to how to go about designing and construction a series along these lines, they were asking for in that thread.

:thumbup:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Siegfried on 29 Mar 2009, 18:00

But, for "regular" infantry, I think prussian or french infantry could perhaps fit...

as far as Prussians are concerned: only if the hat Prussian figures wear no lapels and have a collar. Besides that, there are other problems. Prussian infantry figures will wear the haversack etc. I haven't seen many pictures of Russian infantry wearing stuff like that. And then comes the cartridgebox. The Russian model looks different from the Prussian model (or french, for that mater) Russian cuffs are larger than Prussian cuffs, and their tricorns are more triangle shaped than the Prussian model. And what about the greandiers? Russian grenadiers have a unique greandiercap, and wear a bellybox. And before I forget: the Russian musket is also distinctly diferent from the Russian model.

French infantry would only work for Russian infantry if they have an unlappeled coat with a collar, wear an other type of cartrigdebox than the standard French model, and have their skirts turned back.

We just realy need russian infantry in 1/72. I agree with you however on cavalry. Russian caavlry should be easy to make with Prussian (and the GNW swedish dragoons) cavalry.

Don't take tis too critical, I realy enjoy this topic and discussing the SYW in 1/72 options with you fred :thumbup:

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by je_touche on 29 Mar 2009, 18:28

Christiaan Harinck wrote:The Russian model looks different from the Prussian model (or french, for that mater) Russian cuffs are larger than Prussian cuffs, and their tricorns are more triangle shaped than the Prussian model. And what about the greandiers? Russian grenadiers have a unique greandiercap, and wear a bellybox. And before I forget: the Russian musket is also distinctly diferent from the Russian model.

French infantry would only work for Russian infantry if they have an unlappeled coat with a collar, wear an other type of cartrigdebox than the standard French model, and have their skirts turned back.

We just realy need russian infantry in 1/72. I agree with you however on cavalry. Russian caavlry should be easy to make with Prussian (and the GNW swedish dragoons) cavalry.

I am not a huge supporter of painting conversions, that's why I agree to everything that has been said by Christiaan. It all depends on how deep you want to delve into the details of course. There is one thing though which is a misconception. During the 7YW Prussian tricorns were as triangular as were their Russian aquivalents. Our conception of how Prussian troops looked during that war is very much based on the famous paintings by Adolph von Menzel. Alas, unknowingly Menzel depicted Prussian troops as they looked around 1780, using many relics of uniforms and equipment from that time for his illustrations. Basically, the uniforms did not change, but there were subtle changes of style, uniform cut, and yes, the tricorns had got less triangular by that time.

If you want to see how Prussian troops really looked like during the 7YW you will want to use the books by Hans Bleckwenn.
je_touche  

Posted by Fred on 29 Mar 2009, 20:12

Dear Christiaan,
You don't hurt me at all :-D :-D

You are right about the cuffs size but this is the same between the british and the hanoverians ;-) and anybody is (wrongly..) generally thinking that british and hanoverian uniforms were the same.

In an other hand, the problem about the cartridge, the lapels and the collar is right !!! I totally agree with you on this point. :oops:
About the lapels and the collar, it's why I thought about the french uniform (for me Hät would have to propose french uniforms with and without lapels : doing that, foreign units in french army could be made).

For me, the main problem is the cartridge which is like the british one, positionned on the stomach (but the russian one seems more long).

So, you are right : too much differences and national peculiarities.
Hät would have to propose infantry (musketeers in vest and in coat, grenadiers and pandours) without forgetting the boots for Observation corps.
I would ask also for a special artillery box, with some unicorn guns, not forgetting the large wagons which always slowed a lot their marches.

Many thanks again for your very constructive and very kind answer :thumbup:

Dear Cyrano,
I have to confess that, me too, I don't like to make conversions but, I would prefer that Hät begins to produce armies we can't paint at all (even with conversions) instead than armies we perhaps can make with conversions.
For me, to paint the prussian cuirassiers will not give a lot of problems : we can use the Strelets swedish GNW cuirassiers (like we have seen with the very beautifull pictures sent this afternoon) or the saxon napoleonic cuirassiers, simply changing the heads.
But, to paint, for exemple, the austrian grenzers is presently impossible :(

Of course, I hope Hät and Zvezda will propose very soon all the 5 principal armies : prussian, austrian, russian, british and french....
Fred  France

Return to General