Modelling

Lion Rampant

Posted by Ochoin on 30 May 2022, 13:05

One of my pals dropped by tonight. Over a dram of single malt Lowland whisky, he presented me with what he described as a '6 point Lion Rampant force'.

They are Tumbling Dice metals - a Leader, Mounted Knights, men-at-arms on foot, a bunch of mailed spearmen, an archer & a crossbow unit. https://tumblingdiceuk.com/collections/ ... -crusaders
He said they were a gift due to me for my hospitality of the years - which includes my wife filling him with Italian food & me with fine wines and uisge beatha on many occasions.

A nice gesture, of course but his hidden agenda is he has been waffling about Lion Rampant wargaming rules for about a year & been painting his own force & needs an opponent. The sly animal.

My problem is I literally know nothing about the medieval period. I've never gamed it, read much or painted a single figure.
TD describes them as from the Crusade Period @1250 & as Frankish (the knights have barded horses, wear open faced helmets & mail with some plate & carry heaters(?). The infantry carry kite-shaped shields. They're 25mm (1/72)

Where do I go to find out about painting colours? Heraldry? What do you use for heraldic devices & shield patterns?
I will have to buy a set of the rules, of course. Any tips about them?

The nerve of my pal -giving me these figures!! (once I clear the backlog I'm looking forward to this unexpected mini-project).

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Londoncopper on 30 May 2022, 13:54

Lion Rampant uses 24 point forces as the norm, so you will have to buy more figures for a start.
Mounted Knights are in 6 figure units, infantry are 12 figures unless they are dismounted knights or skirmish troops who get six figures.
The rules contain many army lists that are helpful when buying figures, you just need to decide on what period as armour changed greatly, from chain mail to full plate armour.
Find out what army your friend is creating, hopefully,your figures will match his and you can avoid Wars of the Roses English vs Mongols!

Checking my rule book, if you wanted to field a Crusader army you could use the following -

2 x Mounted Knights (12 figures)
1 x Mounted Serjeant (6 figures)
1 x bowmen (12 figures)
1 x spearmen (12 figures)

This is only a suggestion,the rulebook gives further suggestions and ideas.

I hope this helps,let me know if you need more info and watching Kingdom of Heaven will help with painting inspiration!
Londoncopper  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 30 May 2022, 14:17

Sounds like a nice gift, donald. But as you observe, some gifts come with a hidden 'catch'....

The best single volume book on Crusader armies with extensive information of dress, arms and armour, troop types, heraldry etc is the Ian Heath WRG book 'Armies and Enemies of the Crusades': https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armies-Enemies ... C56&sr=1-1

I'd recommend getting hold of a copy. 'Crusaders' (published 2019) by the excellent British historian Dan Jones will provide you with a good overview of the extensive history of the period.

And yes, as Londoncopper advises, a good look at the film 'Kingdom of Heaven' with provide masses of inspiration and more information on the armies of the period. Use the pause button and take notes!

With these books and the the film, all you will then need to decide is....which Crusader army? English, Frankish, Hospitaller, Templar.....?? Good luck! :yeah:

PS: 'Heaters' are a type of shield. And none of the knights wear tricornes :-D
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 30 May 2022, 14:30

Yes, I see I'll need more figures.
The TD packs come as 4 mounted or 8 foot.

I have a mounted king & 2 nobles on foot
4 mounted serjeants/knights (what's the difference? So more needed regardless)
16 spearmen - a unit of 12 figures?
8 heavy infantry (Foot Serjeants?)
8 archers & 8 Crossbowmen (can I have a combined unit of 12 figures?)

And I need to buy the rule book ASAP.
I'll check out your kind suggestions for background reading.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Londoncopper on 31 May 2022, 09:25

Serjeants were non noble mounted troops, not as well armoured as knights but still charging into combat, they could also be armed with crossbows.

Crossbow units are separate from archers in the rules but if your opponent agrees you could mix your figures and state if they are bow or crossbow troops at the start of the game.

You will need a leader for your army, the rules have the leader as part of a unit but it is popular to have your leader as a separate entity, your dismounted king would be ideal.

Another option would be a Medieval English army

2 x Knights (12 mounted figures)
2 x foot Serjeants (24 foot)
1 x Archers (12 foot)
Londoncopper  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 01 Jun 2022, 07:28

Lion Rampant is great fun, provided you don't take it to seriously as the dice gods have a habit of changing sides at odd moments. Version 2 of the rules is in preparation and can be ordered from North Star. Unfortunately there is also a very good add-on volume of Crusades army lists and scenarios. Are you sure this was a friendly gift??

The Lance and Longbow society uses them with appropriate modification for participation games covering bigger battles.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 01 Jun 2022, 13:41

I love the rules, especially Dragon.

I think the main thing in their favour is the openness of the rules, and the fact that they embrace a 'grown up' attitude to playing. Yes, you can fit pretty much anything into the rules, but the ethos of the rules is that they trust not just to slap anything in there.

The rules aren't an accurate simulation - which irritates the blazes out of someone I know, and they can be frustrating, but I haven't yet played a game I didn't enjoy. Simple to learn, but mastering them is something else.

Enjoy yourself.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Jun 2022, 14:29

steve_pickstock wrote:
The rules aren't an accurate simulation -
f.

I am somewhat fastidious about Horse & Musket gaming but far less so then for anything else.
LR looks like it will produce a fun evening's gaming.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Modelling