Modelling

Hun banners and flags

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Oct 2021, 06:46

The sizeable pile of Huns that arrived at my doorstop, courtesy of Tumbling Dice, need some research.

As usual with this manufacturer, there were lots of glue-on extras - bows, quivers, swords, shields, maces, lariats, extra hats, severed heads....& several standards.

These include poles topped by one or two heads (one of which appears to be a woman, disturbingly), various cow horns & what could be a human heart & arteries. No dracos, sadly.

There also some banners. One is a streamer-type, the other a Roman-type vexillum. I'm leaning towards using these for squeamish reasons. I've looked on the web & can't find any Hun devices to paint on them.

Maybe just paint them black or is that too melodramatic?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Xantippos on 24 Oct 2021, 14:22

You refer to symbols to paint on their banners? in theory, I think they use sort of long poles with black horse-manes as standards, a bit like the Mongols did. Inside the hunnic armies they were plenty of other nomads that would use dracos, but never seen any Hun carrying one.

Googling hunnic symbols gives quite a good selection. Apparently the Alchon Huns of India had some sort of banner or symbols, and this is what videogamers have used to use as flags.
Xantippos  

Return to Modelling