Modelling

Purple wash

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Apr 2021, 01:16

I've begun work on my Companion cavalry unit for Pyrrhus' army.

These are an elite, body-guard unit so I think purple cloaks would be appropriate.

I don't think I've used purple before & I'm wondering what colour wash to use? Black? Dark blue?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 20 Apr 2021, 02:05

I'm not sure of purple for a unit colour. It was an incredibly expensive colour to produce. Leaders only would be my suggestion, with the companions wearing something else. As for washing purple, I would suggest a very thin black in the deepest recesses.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Apr 2021, 04:28

steve_pickstock wrote:I'm not sure of purple for a unit colour. It was an incredibly expensive colour to produce. Leaders only would be my suggestion, with the companions wearing something else..

Thanks, Steve. As you know, for Ancients, there are only the merest wisps of information about clothing colours. We don't even know the colour of Imperial Roman legionaries' tunics. I'm basing this decision on possibilities but there isn't much else to go on.

I take your point about purple but Alex. the G. evidently distributed piles of purple cloth to his elite units after Perseopolis fell & the Companions, at least, then wore purple cloaks.

Pyrrhus consciously sought to emulate his esteemed uncle on many occasions, so why not here?
His Agema (bodyguard cavalry unit) were something special & the Hellenistic Greeks given to spectacle in general. So either spending a small fortune or capturing stores from the Carthaginians: purple cloaks* it will be.

donald

.*BTW indigo was sometimes used to make a counterfeit Tyrian purple. It was more blue-ish than red-ish like true purple. I'm using Vallejo's Oxford Blue which makes the possibility of "fake" Tyrian Purple possible.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 20 Apr 2021, 08:20

Donald, with purple I always use a purple wash from Citadel Games Workshop. I'm quite pleased with the result.

Here you can see an example with dark and light purple:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by zirrian on 20 Apr 2021, 08:24

I would use purple wash :) Army Painter makes a "Purple Tone" which should work reasonably well, just thin it down with water.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Apr 2021, 11:01

Thanks for the advice, gents. Appreciated.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dykio on 21 Apr 2021, 20:01

Long time ago i painted my assyrians like this. And i know not historicaly correct but i just liked the colours :-D And i just mixed some black with the base colour as a (hardly to see) wash.

hope this helps (a little bit)

regards Dykio
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Kekso on 27 Apr 2021, 13:23

As Peter said, Druchii Violet from Citadel. You'll probably get lifetime supply in one bottle. Not too cheap, though.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Modelling