Modelling

Modelling a Roman watchtower

Posted by Ochoin on 30 Jun 2020, 05:10

I've had an mdf Roman watchtower for some time & have finally got around to assembling & painting it:

What I next want to do is create an earthen rampant around it, topped by a palisade...

like this but with a higher, earthen wall:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.c ... watchtower

As you can see from the first photo, I have some polystyrene pieces...I want something robust for wargaming. Is this the best material? What would I coat it in? I've used plaster in the past. It cracks, chips & breaks off.

Any hints would be welcome.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by sberry on 01 Jul 2020, 10:43

The tower looks quite nice, but I have a question: Is access via stairs or a ladder, I can't tell for sure from the pic. Only a ladder would be correct.
Concerning your question about the base, I think these polystyrene parts would work. For coating them, I would recommend to use a mixture of earth/sand, paint and a water-based glue like PVA or certain types of installation glue. This mixture will stay a bit flexible and thus will be far less prone to breaking or chipping than plaster. And you have structure/texture and the desired color - all in a single step of coating.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Jul 2020, 20:08

Thank you, sir.

I'll bring out the carving knife on the weekend (the mess of carving polystyrene!) & try out your ideas on the weekend.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Modelling