Modelling

Trees, basing...

Posted by lobo on 25 Jun 2019, 16:40

I would like to have trees for my matt…
-My first try consisted in making them with woodland scenic products. Sincerely, I don´t know if I haven´t understand the process very well, but my clump-foliage from woodland scenic came practically in one piece, so impossible to dip the tree armature on it and to get a tree¡; you have to cut it manually in little pieces…and the result is not like in the video;

What is your experience with this procedure?

-After, I thought that the price of already-made model trees it´s perhaps even cheaper than buying this kind of products and you have a good result ensured.
I bought this reference; Noch 26320 Model Fir trees-25 pcs. 60-150 mm; They have the structure of a toilet brush but they seem correct. They come with little bases. Many people prefer to put a group of three o four together in medium size bases.
I´m trying to display them detached. The problem is that if you can put them in your matt they are not stable. And when you try to pick them and to store them they get hooked, and get damaged.
My solution- I think a lot of modelers perhaps have done the same- attempt for both problems, have been to add a five euro cents under the plastic base for the smaller, and the same type of coin plus a bigger metal washer for the taller.
In this way they have enough weigh for getting stable in the matt, and if you put a magnetic lamina in you storage box, they get fixed to it and separated ,and don’t came into contact, avoiding the damaging…
After fixing the coins and washers, I added some sand to the base, painted it into light brown, and added some static grass…
This is the result displayed in the matt:

This item in my blog;
http://modellingawi.blogspot.com/2019/06/trees-1-i-think-thescenography-may-at.html

What other procedures do you use for basing trees or ingenerl for making them¡?
Greeting and thanks for watching …
Antonio.
lobo  Spain

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Jun 2019, 07:02

Hello Mr L.

You need to visit the model railway world. They are the experts.

For fir trees these are brilliant as an example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Jun 2019, 08:23

Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 28 Jun 2019, 12:29

I use chopped, dried herbs on the bases of my trees, over a bare earth base. Grass generally doesn't grow that close to trees and there is always some sort of debris under them as well.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by lobo on 01 Jul 2019, 16:23

Thank you very much Chris, Suso and Steve for your opinion and for these sources of information.
I had to experiment them!
But I think we cannot reproduce railway modelism techniques exactly.
A railway table is a continuos area, but in a wargame table, we have to divide it in little elements, so the result is not so realistic..
And we have to move those elements, store them, and during the game put our figures and vehicules above them....so they can not be very fragile...
Regards!
Antonio.
lobo  Spain

Return to Modelling