Modelling

What is a good glue?

Posted by Auggie on 18 Oct 2018, 03:53

Please forgive me if this has already been covered.
I'm returning to the beginning of my model soldier passion, and am starting to collect the 'small army" again.
What is the best glue to use to attach horses (Airfix) to their bases?
The tiny pegs on the bottom of the hooves , in most cases, already do not line up properly.
I find it hard to keep them attached.
Thanks fellas.
Auggie  Canada

Posted by FredG on 18 Oct 2018, 07:49

I just use PVA glue (white stuff).

I have also discovered that if the lugs do not align correctly, throwing the figure across the room doesn't help.

In case of desperation superglue gel can be handy. It gives that little bit of extra time to get all the legs into position. :yeah:

Incidentally, if the lugs are too large, drill the base rather than trim the lug. Life is much easier that way. ;-)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Oct 2018, 08:23

Personally I would not bother with the Airfix stuff as standards have moved so far since their day.

However, Bond it or similar cyanoacrylate works well.

You might consider welding with a soldering iron, with or without a piece of copper attatched to the heating head. Attack the lugs from underneath to weld them to the base.

Great in their day, horrible and inaccurate now.

Best wishes,

Chris.
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Auggie on 18 Oct 2018, 15:35

Thanks for the glue tips.
I totally agree about the quality of Airfix figures. Not much detail, too much flash and soft plastic, but the nostalgic value is also there as well.
The newer manufacturers are creating superb figures. Lots of detail, well researched , virtually no flash, a harder plastic and huge variety.
Thanks again fellas.
Auggie  Canada

Posted by Wiking on 18 Oct 2018, 17:08

Auggi wrote:
The tiny pegs on the bottom of the hooves , in most cases, already do not line up properly.
I find it hard to keep them attached.

One answer of:
FredG wrote:
I have also discovered that if the lugs do not align correctly, throwing the figure across the room doesn't help.

:-D :-D :-D
You really make my day !
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Oct 2018, 18:41

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

A visit to the provided Link above might be helpful for you. The reviews are honest and to the point.

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop

If you decide to buy stuff on line have a visit to the other Link above, there items are fairly priced.

I cannot recommend you buy on E BAY, until you get used to the recommended retail prices of things.

AIRFIX make fantastic Kits today but awful Napoleonic figures. However what ever you do enjoy your hobby,and always feel free to ask questions ,and post your progress here.
I would honestly love to see photographs too. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 19 Oct 2018, 03:40

I weld Airfix horses to their base. Use a soldering iron if you've got one but you can just use a paper clip or pin heated in a candle flame.

Fit the horse to the base, turn upside down and melt the pin into a blob that's too large to pull back through the hole. (I actually go a stage further and and melt the plastic of the base into the peg). Just don't go too far and melt the horse's leg. And don't breath in the fumes (not recomended for non smog monsters).

The pin or paper clip can be pushed into a cork for a heat proof handle. And a spirit lamp, if you have one, does not leave soot on the pin like the candle does.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Emperor on 28 Oct 2018, 20:11

If you trying to attach horses to bases, here what I do. Take first hair spray. Spray over surface of base, put little drops on horses legs that will connect to base, and gust gently put it on. Some how hair spray and super glue will stick rock hard.
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2018, 12:13

Baking Soda and Super Glue soon goes hard too. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 06 Nov 2018, 09:29

As I use my figures for wargaming, a certain robustness is needed.

To stick on shields etc, I use two-part epoxy. It's messy but it holds fast. I've found if the part needs to be "fixed" while the epoxy takes hold, an additional drop of super-glue will keep the parts together for long enough for the epoxy to go "off".

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 06 Nov 2018, 13:00

Emperor wrote:If you trying to attach horses to bases, here what I do. Take first hair spray. Spray over surface of base, put little drops on horses legs that will connect to base, and gust gently put it on. Some how hair spray and super glue will stick rock hard.

Into 1/72 since the 70's, but never heard this before. You live & learn. :yeah:
Will definitely try this.

Interisting to read the different suggestions, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Kekso on 11 Nov 2018, 17:06

Erich von Manstein wrote:Will definitely try this.

What will you do with the rest of hairspary if it doesn't work? :xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 11 Nov 2018, 18:38

Kekso wrote:What will you do with the rest of hairspary if it doesn't work? :xd: :xd: :xd:

Would keep it for an highly probable 80's hairstyle-revival. :xd:

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Return to Modelling