Modelling

French Indian War Grenadiers

Posted by Rich W on 07 May 2018, 13:13

Hoping for some suggestions or inspiration on the following query...

Can anyone please recommend sets that would be appropriate for French and Indian War British grenadiers? This would mean mitre caps instead of bearskin caps.

I've currently used a few ACTA AWI British grenadiers and just changed their caps. However, there are only 4 poses in the set and they do seem quite small, especially when grenadiers were regarded as the tallest and biggest men (although some sources have called this more of a myth?). I've looked at Zvezda, Hat and Revell Prussian SYW figures and they are all just that bit too big to go with the sets that I'm also using (Accurate British inf, Redbox British, Imex AWI artillery, Accurate American militia, Italeri Natives, Revell Austrian inf/artillery).

My conversion skills are not that good so I'm probably not going to be able to do too elaborate a conversion, but I'm very open to suggestions. Generally metal figures are out of my price range but if there were any that were very good value/mix with plastics I'd consider them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rich
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 May 2018, 03:02

Well here goes Rich W,i hope this helps stir up some ideas.

For such a huge interest in this period there are hardly any figures available in this scale,
but I took lots of time out to search. On the metal side of this hobby It seems to me the leap from 14mm to 28mm scale totally by passed 20mm and 1/72 scale.

The guy in the top hat reminds me of the great late actor Lee Marvin, singing his wondering star song.

Always there were plenty of those above near the early outposts.
There`s George Raft on the water.

These guns would protect any fort.

The Gun crews are that rubbery stuff.

They are tipping the scale at 26mm but there are plenty of firing poses and head or just hat conversions are needed. This will be dealt with further down the page.

Waterloo1815 produced Roger Rangers but they are awful wrong,but do have action appeal.

Tipping the top end of the scale at nearly 26mm

BUM produced Rogers Rangers, but the plastic on their figures breaks easily,so are rubbish.

GOLDEN OLDIES :-D

24mm
I Nearly forgot about Revell.

Now heads need hats so here they are. HAT

There is also a Prussian marching pose box and plenty more hats.

1994 this great set hit the high street.

Nearly 26mm

Below the other two Sets from the period are re-issues.

Not sure cavalry was needed I did not post pictures. They can be viewed on P S R under REVELL.

As the defensive Hawkeye shot sounded from The Long Caribbean,
and zipped past my ear. Sorry guys I must take my leave.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 09 Jun 2018, 00:52

Sorry BB, only just spotted your reply here! Thank you for taking the time to post so many suggestions. I have decided to ignore height differences and go with Hat and Zvezda Prussian grenadiers, accepting the uniforms flaws with them!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling