Modelling

Orc Catapult question

Posted by Mabbers on 19 Oct 2017, 18:11

So I got one of the Dark Alliance orc catapult sets. But I am not entirely sure how to assemble it. Helpfully there are no pictures or instructions on the box or online.

Does this look right? Not glued yet!

Mabbers  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Oct 2017, 19:03

That wooden crank needs to have enough room to turn. I can't tell from this angle if it does. Otherwise, it looks pretty good.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Oct 2017, 07:41

Looks nice, but I think Moderator Paul is the expert on orcs and their machines. Only seen Prince August's orc-catapult before and just on pics.

http://shop.princeaugust.ie/pa673-25mm-scale-catapult-double-moulds/
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by giorgio on 20 Oct 2017, 09:09

giorgio  Italy

Posted by Paul on 20 Oct 2017, 15:30

It´s correct for the troll who is leaning Forward with both Hands on the ground. It won´t work for the troll Standing up..the catapult arm Needs turning around (drill a hole through so the sling fits) other wise the Stone in the sling hangs on the ground. Believe me..I´ve just finished putting both of them together.
Also..no matter what glue you use the trolls won´t stay put on the bases and the catapults fall off the trolls..it all Needs screwing, welding and nailing together.

IMHO, they are ok when painted etc but there´s no way the catapults would work as they are and to correct them to look halfway functional would mean a lot of work.
This, is how they should (could) look if they had a Chance of being funtional
You can see the two wheels on the sides are in fact rollers for chains but I´ve added spokes to make them look a bit more..??..as if they actually do something.
The Crews also make Little sense but I´ll work out how they fit with the rest later. I´ll probably have them finished by tomorrow so I can get pics made and Show the Solutions to the None glueable bits.

PS:..the fire demons! There it definately Needs a drill and screws to fit the wings properly and watch out for the war trolls set two..if you can, look in the box before buying them!!!
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 20 Oct 2017, 17:58

Paul wrote:It´s correct for the troll who is leaning Forward with both Hands on the ground. It won´t work for the troll Standing up..the catapult arm Needs turning around (drill a hole through so the sling fits) other wise the Stone in the sling hangs on the ground. Believe me..I´ve just finished putting both of them together.

Edit...I´ve found a way to have both the catapults with the arms facing backwards.. :mrgreen:
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mabbers on 20 Oct 2017, 18:38

Thanks everyone! Gosh, I had no idea trolls were involved. I only have set 3 of the trolls, so not the right ones I don't think. I might make a regular catapult for the orcs to work with and keep the spare one for when I get some of the appropriate trolls (and have seen your instructions Paul!).

I did get the two Balrog sets as well. Thanks for the tip - sounds like I will have to get the tools out!

I have had a chance to start on one of the orcs who is painting up well.

Mabbers  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 20 Oct 2017, 18:53

Mabbers wrote: Gosh, I had no idea trolls were involved.

TBH, I don´t think your the only one who didn´t realise this. A few People have made the assumption, including me, that the catapult set were stand alone bits of kit. It´s not been made 100% obvious with the titels of the boxes that the catapults are for attaching to trolls.
This set is the trolls for the catapults
http://theredbox.com.ua/set/155.htm
I
Paul  China

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Oct 2017, 19:52

So this Company has a product for sale, but has a total lack of Why? Where? and How???????___ in Communication Skills. :eh: Eh?

Place IT in the corner with the pointed Dunces Cap on. :mrgreen: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Paul on 21 Oct 2017, 10:08

Here ya go
A couple more pics and Problems with the two sets and the solutions HERE
Paul  China

Posted by MABO on 21 Oct 2017, 13:20

That is a really interesting solution.
MABO  Europe

Return to Modelling