Modelling

Modeling with Green Stuff

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Sep 2017, 01:15

Can anyone point me to a link for a good tutorial or "how-to" for modeling with two-part epoxy (aka Green Stuff)?

Or just put some tips and tricks in response to this thread.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by KGV on 11 Sep 2017, 07:36

The best I can do for you is to suggest that you keep your fingers wet, so keep a bowl of water near by.
Before I found out about that, I used to get more stuck to me then the model.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Sep 2017, 19:06

Thanks. I had a frustrating green stuff session before posting, and my experience with dry fingers was similar. I will try the wet bowl thing.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Sep 2017, 10:03

KGV,I guess i am the only one ever to get a blister while mixing it between thumb and sore finger.

The remodeled box from one kit_____________

was stuck onto another upgrading the Tiger Tanks.

The track was also modelled in the same green-stuff way.

I used OYUMARU re-usable modeling compound to make moulds and then pressed in the green-stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=17988#p196976

If there is added interest,to view smaller items made in the same way,please click on the link!

The Daisy Chain:to share freely ideas,then likewise others can pass them along too.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Sep 2017, 10:15

Sorry it is your topic Bluefalchion. :sst:" slipped up there bb."
:coffee: However KGV,is worthy of address too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Sep 2017, 10:49

BB--

Your input is very welcome, whether directed towards KGV or any of the other worthies of this forum. I will follow your provided links--with gusto. I have followed your work on this forum for long enough to realize you have a wide range of quite considerable expertise.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by poky on 14 Sep 2017, 20:51

what is your problem with it? just the stickiness, is that is the case lubrication is the thing, many things can be used, water, vaseline, spit, grease, oil, whatever works for you just try it out, but keeping your tools and fingers lubricated is the thing, note if you do use vaseline or oil you need to wash and remove it before doing any more work as new layers will not stick to the sculpt. I dont use green stuff anymore but switch too Procreate a long time ago, works pretty much the same but less sticky, its grey which I like more then green and it does not shrink, green stuff does that only a little bit and other putties can be much worse in that. Wen mixing warming up the putty before kneading them together helps with mixing, warming up can be done simple with holding it in your hands for a bit. Small tip keep the blue and yellow separated, in the area where they touch it can become hard and then you will get chunks in the putty
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Sep 2017, 13:00

poky--

Thanks for the response. The problems I have been encountering with green stuff is getting the finished shape to be smooth enough and to look right. The additions were sticking more to my fingers than to the figure. I will try the procreate, sounds a bit easier to work with. Good tip about separating the blue from the yellow.

Posted by poky on 17 Sep 2017, 01:37

that could be lubrication or your tools are not clean or smooth, if your tools as scratches that will get into the sculpt or if pieces of putty are stuck to it this will also give a blemished look, dont care to much about it being shiny as seen in some sculpts. 1 more thing wash your hands before and after, dust and sweat can be mixed from the fingers into the putty which is not a good thing
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Xantippos on 17 Sep 2017, 13:40

My favourite is Apoxie Sculpt, quite expensive, but if modelling 1/72 then 500 gr set will last you a lifetime. Be careful, some sculpting materials can give you a allergic reaction, which I get with most two part putties.

I recommend you to mix with gloves, and then use a bit of mineral oil on your hands, this way the stuff won't attach to your fingers nor penetrate into your skin. After finishing, clean your hands with hot water and soap.

Apoxie Sculpt is also the strongest of all the putties I have tried, and believe me, I have tried nearly all of them. Magic Sculp, GreenStuff, SuperSculpey, PREMO, Patcolor, Milliput, Aki plummer's putty, Leroy Merlin plummer's putty, and standard spanish plummer's putty. I found procreate a bit expensive, as I mainly use putty to make 1/12 custom action figures, where you need a lot more.
Xantippos  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Sep 2017, 14:20

This thread is turning into a gold mine! Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. Any other thoughts, tips, tricks, pitfalls, etc.?

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Sep 2017, 02:53

Yes make moulds and cast them up with the purest gold! :-D

https://youtu.be/baRlEC-ixsk

On You Tube,there are some good normal speed tutorials on sculpting figures using green stuff.
I watched a few yesterday. I found it helpful. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Modelling