Modelling

Water modelling - which materials do you use?

Posted by sansovino on 31 Aug 2016, 18:58

I don´t have much experience to model water in dioramas. I have used already model-water from the firms Busch and Faller, but theirs materials were quite expensive and at least not so realistic like I intented. Who has experience with modelling water? Who can recommend me a method and materials?

I would like to model the water of a lake - 1-2 cm deep. The material doesn´t have to get hot. I want to implant some plastic figures as swimmers in the lake! And I would like the lake-water a little bit brownish like a sweetwater-lake is quite often along his banks.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by armpcm on 31 Aug 2016, 19:11

Hello,

Can you get your hands on still water from vallejo? You just have to pour it in thin layers and can add colour to have your lake.

I have Laszlo Adoba books and he shows a good way ro create the lake effect, will arribe late at home but will share thoae pages so you can see if they can help you in your demands.
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by westgaragemodels on 31 Aug 2016, 23:36

Hello

I use Noch material or Deluxe Materials. Their expensve but they are worth it. I have also use vallejo but still I find the other 2 way better . here are some examples made with Noch products
hope it helps
westgaragemodels  Portugal

Posted by Cryns on 01 Sep 2016, 08:09

I used Tar Bender, a two-component epoxy, and added acrylic paint. Needed a crème brulé burner to get the airbubbles out.

Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Sep 2016, 08:46

I do not know how big your lake project is but if you look on the tutorial section my water technique might be of help. The acrylic provides the water and the bed features can be made to choice.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Emperor on 02 Sep 2016, 15:42

I also wanted to ask question about water, about Vallejo still water...I want to make a small river on diorama, so can someone who used it tell me something about Vallejo still water?
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 02 Sep 2016, 19:40

Vallejo still water is good product for making artificial water. It is mixable with acrylic paints so you can achieve various color efects (muddy water for example). My advice is to seal surface where you plan to apply VSW. Layer of white glue will work fine. One needs patience when working VSW since it must be applied in thin layers. I'm not sure how thin, but do not exceed 5mm. Note that layer will shrink a bit when dried. Leave it 24h to dry completely before applying next layer.

This is pretty cool video about VSW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0y4chY7hwM
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 02 Sep 2016, 19:44

Result of my using of Vallejo Still Water

Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 02 Sep 2016, 20:48

It is also very cheap...A bottle cost something of 5 euros plus minus here at mine place...I wanted to test it first, and than to apply on the project...I first must calculate all costs for figures, base etc etc and to make exact plan of everything including base for diorama...
Emperor  

Posted by Kekso on 03 Sep 2016, 09:53

I paid for bottle of Vallejo SW (200 mL, I think) arround 15€ including shipping.

This morning I went to hardware store and I found some sealant (like silicone tube) that is white but become transparent when dries. Bison is the brand and price is around 6€. I think it is worth trying.

If it behaves something like this I think it will do the job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOpc8Q6a7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtWCKsx30I
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 03 Sep 2016, 11:02

Just to add one more opinion.
I made this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18780
using Pebeo's crystal resin tinted with 2 drops of Pebeo's Vitrail turqoise ( 17 ). The resin cures flat so to finish the surface I used Liquitex heavy Gel. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 03 Sep 2016, 11:07

And of course have in mind: http://www.diorama-dreamland.at/index.php?id=26
with respect to mr. Trauner who is a member of this forum. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Cryns on 05 Sep 2016, 12:25

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:http://www.diorama-dreamland.at/index.php?id=26
with respect to mr. Trauner

Kostis you are right here.
Before I even knew who Erik Trauner was, I used this tutorial written by him to cast my river segments.

Kekso wrote:Result of my using of Vallejo Still Water

Kekso you really surprised me with this native American water diorama.
I did not know you build complicated dio's like this.
I consider Still Water being a poor product because it shrinks and gets loose from rock and riverside while drying. But you achieved a very good and perfect result here. Also your use of many different plants looks very good. Using plastic plants often creates a very artificial effect with screaming green colors. But the way you used it is remarkable nice.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Kekso on 05 Sep 2016, 14:56

Thank you Mr.Cryns. VSW isn't excellent product but "good for money" and simple to use. Resin products are far better. Plants that you can see on that photos aren't plastic but self made.
Regarding large dios, I gave up on making more of them because of lack of storage space. I don't want to make something like that and put it in cardboard box later ;-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by mickey mouse on 16 Sep 2016, 07:46

I have used a 2 component clear resin, but can't remember the brand.
Here's my result sofar.

mickey mouse  Netherlands
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2016, 09:27

Experience is only gained by trial and error in this hobby, because most of use work alone.

i found Woodland Scenics Water Effect stayed sticky and soft. Anything touching it perhaps a boat will sink in so when removed the shape was left in it.

Eventually i used the cheapest stuff for my needs.

It seems that glass like clear tops on Lakes and rivers seem popular but prone to show the slightest defect. Whereas rippled flowing water effects are less of a problem.

My advice is prepare some samples using the same stuff if need be,but differ the process of creating them,and then after make your choice.
Differ the process on how you achieve an end,by the way you prepare and paint your bases.

My recent adventures are well covered in my topics which are still ongoing,and although fit for my present needs, however for the many,not for theirs.

i have in the past used coloured Varnish, Clear Varnish, P V A Glue, Silicone in Tubes,and Water Effects as mentioned above. Now i have used Hodge Pudge! A Form of P V A Glue.

i watched a guy on You Tube , do 7 pours of mixed up Silicone Resin over a period of weeks,
each pour taking 72 hours or more to cure clear upon a piece of board about a foot long and 4 inches wide. The Cost Was Crazy! I felt like advising him to use a sheet of glass!

Often is the case simplicity gives good results.
i wish you every success in doing your water effect. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sansovino on 18 Sep 2016, 11:14

Thanks a lot for your many interesting and constructive answers. Still Water seems to be the most recommended material which I should to experiment with it. Only I don´t understand which kind of colours you have added to this product - I find by Vallejo pigments and colours which are of these are better to create a brownish-green sweetwater lake?

It´s seems that water-modelling needs certainly still more time, more experiments and finally more money. I will try it first with small plates before I will make my bigger part of a lake.
Thank´s a lot for your help!
sansovino  Germany

Return to Modelling