Modelling

Painting Hat Peninsular British

Posted by davbenbak1 on 20 Apr 2016, 15:50

I've never peninsular British infantry before only the 1815 figures. My questions are:

1) The pants in all the pictures I've seen are white. I'm sure they didn't stay that way long but...I don't want them to be grey either. I've primed them in white but only a light spray so as not to cover any of the detail and folds. The figures are molded in red plastic that still shows through in pink spots so it's not just a matter of giving them a quick wash. My thought was to water down a very light grey (Vallejo Sky Grey) and go over them with that. I wonder if I should use a black wash (GW nuln oil) or a brown wash? Will the black wash make them too grey and the brown wash, white but dirty? I really want to avoid having to go back over the pants with a white dry brush. It (dry brushing) just never turns out for me like I want on this scale figure.

2) It may be a minor thing but since the maker went to the trouble of molding the back flap on the shako, I think I should paint it. I've looked at pictures on-line but haven't seen a good images of this. My thought was to paint the flap a dark charcoal grey then wash with black. Has anyone tried dark brown?
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 21 Apr 2016, 10:36

Maybe you could paint trousers in some light gray, deck tan or off white paint and then paint (not drybrushig but real painting, layering) highlights in white.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Apr 2016, 22:47

Where is blucher1815red, when there is need of him?
Page 14 of bluchers Posts shows his British Guards for Waterloo.
Sorry I don`t know how to post a Link !
The answer to your question ,is I feel there. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Little Ted on 09 May 2016, 15:49

In the Peninsular they often had brown trousers too made from the local cloth, trousers been the first thing to wear out i suppose.
Re the wash, you can water down the wash with flow improver and it just runs into the cracks and doesn´t leave much over the white areas. You could brown wash the brown trousers in the same way.
Little Ted  

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 09 May 2016, 21:48

As others have said, white when issued, but they would get dirty or faded. As they wore out they were patched using what ever cloth was available, or replaced completely. Replacements would have newer uniforms so most units would not have a uniform appearance. I have painted them with a grey plastic spray primer, then dry brushed wargames foundry`s Austrian white three colour system to achieve an acceptable finish.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Zed1 on 10 May 2016, 10:36

Remember that red is among the colours that fades very quick, especially under the hot sunny conditions in Spain. Blood red becomes somewhat shabby crimson and finally ends up somewhat pinky.
Here's an example of what I mean:
http://www.museumoffloridahistory.com/images/collections/lightfading_lg.jpg

So if it comes to the point when troops had to equip by local suppliers or even by looting the enemy, uniform jackets will certainly have been in a recognizeable state of fading. ;-)
Zed1  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Zed1 on 13 May 2016, 09:53

Well - you got me motivated to try that out myself. I thought about it anyway for quite a long while, so I spent a little spare time on painting a Brit in the way I'd mentioned it.
I used a somewhat dullish sort of red and only lightened it up a bit. It's a small effect - not that brilliant blood reddish anymore, but still not looking as if that jacket has lied under full sun for months.
Next thing are the trousers - only thinned white, scaled down with grey and then drybrushed with a clayish dye. Looks shabby enough for me. What do you people think?
Zed1  Germany

Posted by davbenbak1 on 13 May 2016, 14:20

Your pictures are truly inspiring. People can now see what is possible with this range of HAT figures. Thanks for taking the time to post! Have you considered post your pictures on their site?

With some more experience maybe I can get the hang of dry brushing and shading up from grey. Right now it is just too easy to use dark washes over white or other bright colors then go back over with highlights. Thanks again for sharing your technique.

Posted by Zed1 on 13 May 2016, 20:51

Thanks for the kind words. It's just one single figure that I had left from a couple of three from which I used two to paint-convert them into Canadian militia for the 1812 war...

Would you mind to post a picture of your results? I'd be happy to see how that washing results look like.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Peter on 14 May 2016, 13:15

Couldn't you give him some new trousers before painting him? He looks disheveled now! :mrgreen:

Great brushwork Sascha! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by davbenbak1 on 14 May 2016, 15:21

@Zed1
I have some on the table now. I'll add a pic of them to my current WIP.

Return to Modelling