Bag of matchsticks from a craft shop

Wood or modelling glue

Balsa wood strips

Wills roofing of your chosen type and off cuts from previous builds

Decorators caulk

Modelling knife

Paint

Method

I prefer to have my buildings to have detachable roofs as this allows access to place troops within the property.

The advantage here also is that when the building is damaged, this can be replicated without having to have a substitute or wrecking the model. Simply place a damaged roof on the building, having removed the original. Further realism can be created by having a complete roof of rafters etc upon which the damaged roof can be placed. However a section of roof with damaged rafters also works well.

First cut the main ridge spar to length and then cut into two. Alternatively use two thinner spars that can be glued together later.

Depending on the size of the roof you will then need to make the rafters. My normal size roofs allow match sticks to work perfectly. These are glued at regular intervals to the two spar sections. Then the cross rafters are glued on underneath the down soars. Ie turn the section over. The idea is that the roof covering will lie against the down spars, not the cross spars. Again matches are ideal although balsa Sprues work but are more expensive. Repeat for the other side.

Once all glued and dried the two complete sections can then be glued at the correct angle to fit the building. I use the building as the jig.

The roofing can then be constructed to fit over the rafters or just decorate the rafters with damaged tiling. The rafters can be damaged as required, it is a matter of personal choice.I do a mixture of both so that further damage can be represented by the removal of the damaged tile section.

Do not forget the chimneys broken or otherwise. Balsa wood with decorators caulk for brickwork works well.

If doing shot damage I suggest boring shot jokes on one side and explosion holes on the other. The roof can be rotated if required to represent bigger damage without having to make two roofs.

When happy, paint up and weather. Smoke damage can be represented by burning a plastic sprue and smoking things up with the sooty smoke. Take care not to set fire to your model or yourself, especially when the plastic starts to get going!

Happy modelling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2015, 17:29

A Good Topic Chris,well done. :thumbup:
A lift off roof is good also if figures are to be fixed in place. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 29 Nov 2015, 21:10

This is good.

When I next go back to WW2, I aim to scratch-build a wrecked town & this will be useful.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 30 Nov 2015, 21:16

Again a good topic! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Modelling