Modelling

Die Schlacht von Ligny 16th Juni 1815. Trees

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Oct 2015, 17:34

Materials required

Gaugemaster Sea foam tree pack.

Oily paint dye (Modelmates weathering dye oil brown)

Tesco/Sainsbury’s, any Supermarket cheap hair spray

Green Static grass

Dark green scatter e.g. Gaugemaster etc

Polystyrene foam to 'plant' trees whilst spraying

Silver foil made into a 'basin' to stop the scatter from flying everywhere.

This is a subject that causes more frustration than most as realism can be suspect at best.

However we can take comfort from our model railway friends for a very simple cost effective solution that produces results every time.

Firstly purchase a box of sea foam trees from Gaugemaster. Each box will make potentially thirty to forty trees and the scraps can be used for bushes.

Select your trees from the box and after trimming off any of the large leaves place them gently into the polystyrene base in an upright position. The box instructions give extra ideas if you want to model specific types.

Spray the trees with the oily paint dye and allow to dry.

Mix the static grass with the darker scatter to the required shade in the silver foil ' basin'.

Then select a tree and give a generous spray with the hair spray. You can dip the tree in the scatter mix, but I would recommend that you sprinkle the scatter on to the tree for best results.

Then spray again to seal. You can build up layers to taste but I would suggest that less is more here as the sea foam branches look great. If you apply too much scatter you can end up with an ice cream effect, which defeats the effort.

Return the tree to the polystyrene and allow to dry before positioning on your landscape. Remember that trees in woods grow close together so a little internet research will give a you a good idea of how to position your trees for maximum realism.

Whilst the trees are a little delicate, they are ideal for dioramas etc and even, if treated gently will enhance any war-game scenery. If they start to disintegrate, just make some more and use the bits as bushes.

Many thanks to my wife, 'Der Feldmarschall' for her research.
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 31 Oct 2015, 10:54

And thank you for posting. This is very useful.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Nov 2015, 07:31

Very realistic looking. how durable are they?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Nov 2015, 07:42

Look good for tree`s in winter. and no work hardly to do on them. Not durable, you war gamer`s like to move stuff around a lot. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 Nov 2015, 10:57

Please accept my apologies. I was clearing some duplicate work from Photobucket and wiped out two links.

With respect top durability, as stated they need careful handling and for competitive wargame events might not travel too well unless well packed. However to enhance home gaming, for the price and so little effort, the results will be most pleasing.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/Capitanzursee/image.jpg5_zpsrfbwr0qe.jpg

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 Nov 2015, 11:06

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Nov 2015, 13:29

C M DODSON wrote:With respect top durability, as stated they need careful handling and for competitive wargame events might not travel too well unless well packed. However to enhance home gaming, for the price and so little effort, the results will be most pleasing.

]

We wargamers can be a bit rough so probably not worth my while which is a pity as they're very nice.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Modelling