Modelling

Paint stripping

Posted by Ochoin on 15 Oct 2015, 14:18

I've been buying quite a few figures from Ebay: many with paint on them.

What's the best way of stripping enamel paint from plastic figures?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 15 Oct 2015, 14:59

here´s an excellent article on all the different chemicals and substances that have been tried - mostly used on metals in the article but it explains in depth the effects of each substance on Plastics
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka ... to_Strip...
I stick with dettol (when I can get it) or Castrol Super Clean
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 15 Oct 2015, 21:23

I used boiling water, then directly in cold water and cleaning them with a toothbrush. Not everything was gone, but most of it.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 15 Oct 2015, 23:29

The best way to strip off paint is an oil for tractor breaks...I don't know is that the name in English speaking parts of the world...Works 100 percent, just you need to soak figure into it for par hours and wait, best let it stay over the night...After the paint is off, you just wash it good...Now I asked my mom, she remembers it, the oil for breaks of any kind...Don't harm the figure and strip paint for sure...All you need is that oil, to put figure in it, wait, take it, take one hard old tooth brush, and brush it, the paint come off like cover of a peanut...Only problem is some narrow parts where primer and paint is hard to take off, but that is easy to do with gentle remove with tooth pick...Try it and tell us what you think...
Emperor  

Posted by Bramble15 on 15 Oct 2015, 23:52

Like Paul I have used Castrol Super Clean and it worked well. I must admit I did not use it on enamels or figures for that matter, rather auto paint used to paint NASCAR models. I have found that Simple Green cleaning solution works very well too. In fact it is all I use regardless of the paint type. I place the figures into a mason jar or other glass sealable container and cover them. Let them sit for as long as you like, I have not found that the solution damages figuures in any way. Once you are ready to clean them I take them to the sick with an old firm bristle tooth brish and scrub away. Most times all paint is removed very easily. Every now and then I run into a problem but I can usually pick it out with a sharp xacto blade. I do not dilute the solution, just pour directly into your container and let it sit. I will however state washing of the hands is a must once complete. Hope this helps.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Neilad on 16 Oct 2015, 04:45

Simple Green Donald. You can get it at Bunnings. (for those in Australia). Make sure you get the Concentrated version and not the Ready to Use version that is diluted down. The liquid will be green. I put figures in a jar and fill it up, put lid on and leave figures in for a few days, but don't worry if you leave for longer. I've left figures in it for several weeks before getting back to them and figures are all good. You'll see the enamel paint start to shrivel on the figures. Remove and scrub with a toothbrush and some warm soapy water to get any bits stuck in crevasses. That's what I've done with many of my older painted figures. Works a treat, not toxic and not really an issue to dispose of.
Neilad  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 16 Oct 2015, 07:51

Oven cleaner, brake fluid and (maybe) nail polish remover. Some of that should work.

@Peter, Interesting technique. I've never heard of it but it makes sense.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PDA on 16 Oct 2015, 11:35

Neilad wrote:Simple Green ...

Is this the stuff you mean, Neilad:

I have a couple of resin models I want to clean up. I was going to try Dettol:

PDA  England

Posted by Neilad on 16 Oct 2015, 16:17

Neilad  

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Oct 2015, 12:59

As most already know I buy and collect period piece toy figures,and I use Thick Bleach undiluted to strip the paint away from plastic figures. ( Not Metal Ones and Not Rubber Ones the likes of HAT Industries Produce. ) It may take two or three weeks to do the job,but I have had good results using this very cheap and effective method. The figures sealed up in a plastic container soaking in Bleach results in the paint finally turning into a Snot! This procedure will not damage plastic,if it did you would not be able to buy it in plastic bottles. After the soak, I remove each figure and rinse it in cold water,and this action removes the bleachy coloured snot. Later a wash in soapy water finishes the job,without a need for scrubbing away lots of paint. A WARNING! Do not add Bleach to Soapy Water,the Fumes Produced ARE VERY DANGEROUS!
Many of the results can be seen in my Topic BB`s Toy Figures. Many a 50 year-old toy figure ending up looking as fresh, as when it fell into the cardboard box placed under the Plastic Moulding Machine. Have Fun :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Oct 2015, 13:22

Neilad wrote:This is what I was referring to

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Simple-Green- ... l/22301217

With such a recommendation, how can I look any further.

Thanks, gentlemen.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Marvin on 18 Oct 2015, 09:06

Beano Boy wrote:As most already know I buy and collect period piece toy figures,and I use Thick Bleach undiluted to strip the paint away from plastic figures. ( Not Metal Ones and Not Rubber Ones the likes of HAT Industries Produce. ) It may take two or three weeks to do the job,but I have had good results using this very cheap and effective method...

Thanks - I might try this on some old Airfix Guards Band figures that I recently picked up really cheaply. :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Neilad on 18 Oct 2015, 15:21

Just to give an example of the Simple Green at work. These two jars were filled with figures and Simple Green a few days ago. You can see that the paint is already starting to peel off and the simple green liquid is discolouring.

The next is a close up of one jar that has Airfix and Esci Highlanders, and Revell British Rifles.

The next shots are of the bottom of the jar where you can see loose paint already dropping to the bottom of the jar.

Most of the paint at the end of this will just fall off. Some more stubborn bits will need to toothbrush to remove.
Neilad  

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2015, 21:30

Thanks for the photos, Neilad. That stuff looks the business.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Oct 2015, 07:19

And it works.

donald (one happy customer)
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 20 Oct 2015, 11:09

Marvin wrote:Thanks - I might try this on some old Airfix Guards Band figures that I recently picked up really cheaply. :yeah:

What ever method you use, Try it with only one first and it they are different colours (red or the cream colour) try out with one of each. I removed the paint on a Batch of Republican Romans..the silver ones (Italeri) were ok but the Cream coloured (Zvezda?) turned into jelly.
Also the guards may be starting the dreaded "plastic rot"* and any paintstripping may Speed this up.

*to test, put into a ziplock bag (or any sealed container)and after a couple of hours sniff..no smell they are ok but there´s an unmistakable (and indescribable )smell if they are starting to perish
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Oct 2015, 11:10

Sniff from a bag???
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Paul on 20 Oct 2015, 14:20

Susofrick wrote:Sniff from a bag???

Open it first ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Oct 2015, 15:22

Ah! Oh, yes now it works ...... oh my I get dizzy .....
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Marvin on 20 Oct 2015, 18:04

@Paul I stupidly just went ahead and put them all (all in different colours together) in a jar of bleach. Opened the jar today and..... it's worked! Thankfully all figures seem none the worse.

I often learn the hard way but looks like I got away with it this time. :oops:

Cheers

Marvin
Marvin  United Kingdom

Next page

Return to Modelling