Modelling

Munitions Train

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 May 2016, 22:20

Yes Peter,
the room is stacked up with models, but under the layout my prized toy collection spans the room in all directions housed safe and soundly in plastic storage box systems.

I forgot to add, that apart from a few rail bogies getting bent and dinted, no toy figure was injured in any way shape or form._________________ Now that's the way to dream at playing at war. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bramble15 on 07 May 2016, 13:10

Wow! What a fantastic project. As always I am blown away with your creativity and skill. This will be some kind of finished project.
While reading the myriad of updates I think I stumbled upon the most important line ever typed on this forum;

The first job in Modelling is to open the Box.

Love it!
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 May 2016, 15:30

The Joker must have his play

:joker:
" Along the eastern roadway the traveller sets a peg
a course to follow leading to the west

often stopping to pause a while
to gander at what has passed"

:read:
" Very True BB."

i thank you Bramble,
for i too
took a look back
For thoughts written
are for such things BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 May 2016, 01:47

I managed to pick up a few of these,for an allied train.
it`s 1/76 scale although 1/72 is marked upon the box. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jun 2016, 23:40

Sometimes things move very slowly especially me and this rather large topic,but eventually i did achieve a certain amount of success running a few munitions trains ,on the layout,but not as many as i would have liked.

Just two pictured here,but lots more are due,and i await the mail with warm rubbing hands of eager expectations.

As seen in the pictures,i have just managed to buy on e bay some more 30 ton railway bogies which are Triang period piece rolling stock, and finding a good rake of them is getting quite hard to find these days as they are well over 50 years old,and Shooosh don`t mention it to Mrs B,very expensive. Just kidding i spend when i want and on what needful thing i deem nessary for my collection. This time it was more railway stuff to weight the layout table down. Well with all that light weight polystyrene now into-locking laid i feared a sudden draft might send the whole kit and caboodle a flying out of the window sky high like some massive up-lifted kite,and with little o`ll me a huffing and a puffing running after it. ;-)

:read: "That might well happen BB."
___ :mrgreen: "He, he, he. I would pay to see BB,up and a running!"

Yes,leaving this rather fun loving sketch behind :-D _____the rather noisy rattling trains were placed on You Tube yonks ago now,but nothing was painted and it was what it was just plain sailing railroading fun. Anyway i thought i`d let you all know i will be able to double the train loads now once the new,but old bogies arrive. So as far as the modelling is concerned lots of the kits were made up and i look forward to seeing them circle the Honey Well Line a few times.

See Ya Later and Greetings from Fiddlewood BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2016, 01:38

Picked these railway bogies up a couple a months ago.

Two boxes more of these gives some cool infantry artillery support coming via train.
i like the look of these Marder Variants,that are heading for a nice quiet spot in Holland where the shadow of the last bridge stands. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2016, 02:21

i found the German trucks very expensive last year when i first started this large expanding topic.
So much so i would not buy them, but now these, three to a box and at £16.94 will be handy yes indeed for building up German transport. Plenty on E Bay. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2016, 19:49

Not my photo but via e bays

The two boxes of German tank conversions arrived today,and will fit nicely on these 50 yearold 40 ton railway bogies. Indeed very hard to find a decent rake of them theses days and thus avoid crippling postage charges.
i will fix tight the models this weekend and get them and others on line. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Sep 2016, 01:25

65 Year old Antique 40 ton Bogies made by Meccano. With the box one can pay £35-£40 for one.
i lucked in and won these on E Bay for just under £20.00 for the three. :-D These are the nearest thing i could possible get to the railway rolling stock that carried the Massive German Tiger Tanks to the front. As these are 00 Scale the 1/76 Scale Tiger Tanks that i already have will fit nicely into place.

The photo is via E Bay,and i`ll photo shoot the bogies later myself.

i also managed to buy two 1/76 STUG III`s which are x shop display boxes for under £12.00

There has been the appearance of Blister Packs shown below from the early 1970`s flooding onto the market on Line.

These are HO OO Railway Scale,and at £12.00 plus £3.55 postage is double the price of the old box kits,this has now resulted in pushing the price up on them too,because collectors like myself like the boxes. ;-) BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Sep 2016, 01:56

i just thought to add this Stug III.
With its low profile and 75mm Gun these certainly were good support for the infantry, and were not totally controlled by Hitler, unlike the other Panzer units as the that war dragged on and on.
In the right hands often working alone these certainly were Tank and Anti Tank Gun Killers. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Oct 2016, 15:19

On the road again for another Panzer Variant in 20mm Scale.

The German Nashorn Self Propelled 88mm Gun,on railway bogies.

Leverage tools ( Iron Bars ) are on view still fixed into the tracks one on the right at an angle another upright on the left. i enlarged the picture to come to this conclusion. So alignment to Track has been ongoing at this time. Soldiers taking a break seem well at ease.

The Nashorn seen above with a Tiger Tank,with both crews having survived the encounter with Sherman Tanks which can also be seen in the picture knocked out.

FROM Black & White

To Colour

i have managed to win and buy a total of nine of those antique 30 Ton Bogies as shown .and this will allow for quite a train load of German 1/76 scale Panzer Tanks and several Variants to be shipped out by rail. No need to weather these they have the grim of over 60 years on them.

Conversion work will mainly entail adding a wooden deck of railway sleepers to all the bogies,just like the real ones had. These will be slotted into the gaps on top,and that enterprize will be carried out later,when time allows._____ It will be real wood Mr.Cryns. :-D

The main thing is i now have all the metal rolling stock needed to be able to make up three large trains. The easy thing has been able to collect the plastic model kits ,and if one was to look back upon this journey i always made good sound deals where money matters were concerned.
The hardest part was waiting and tracking down all the old rolling stock. One waggon has the old price from the 1950`s of 7/6 still on it. So that`s Seven Shillings & Sixpence in Old English Stirling!
That amounted to three weeks pocket money for me.

My order arrived on time too. Magic! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Oct 2016, 20:38

I found a better model kit of the Nashorn S P Gun produced by REVELL. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Oct 2016, 11:33

The PANZER 1V F1/F2

The STURMGESCHUTZ III AUSF.G

The Bogies will make it one of uniformity once upon the rails. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Oct 2016, 22:44

The empty boxes are neatly stacked up,
while every bogie that once was inside them dries on the radiators after a good soapy wash.
This avoids rust!
Lots of metal wheels to clean and then oil up later.

Being well able to outbid Sellers on line while buying more antique 30 Ton Bogies the budget has gone up slightly,but it is simple mathematics.One armoured car,tank, assault gun, flak gun,halftrack and lorry requires a bogie,and i have plenty of Loco`s to pull them.

The total stands at 19 - 30 ton bogies, 15 -30 ton well bogies, 20 - 40 ton bogies,and a dozen or so flak cars.

i Hunted high and low to get the kit above. i believe that the production has now ceased on this one.
It was bought from Model hobbies,and in their wisdom they put it into the toy soldier section and not in the 1/72 military kit section.

So if you are interested in the kit that's where it is along with many others too. :-D

The four Zvezda 20mm Flak Guns i bought two will go into converting halftracks ,and the others will be installed elsewhere on the trains.

That's it for now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Oct 2016, 00:33

Here`s another just won on E Bay ,and in very good condition. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Oct 2016, 11:59

An Interesting Picture.

This batch now cleaned up and dry can go back into their boxes. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 06 Oct 2016, 19:33

Now you made me curious if you will build some gun emplacements on your train. :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Oct 2016, 04:12

Hi Peter,
it could be done,by buying 88mm Guns in 1/32 Scale size,
and then use them on railway bogies as 150mm howitzers. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Oct 2016, 00:59

As well as installing Flak Guns that i already have on trains ,i will also try and obtain this kit at a good price. With retooling the interlocking wheels and track combined are one rigid piece of plastic.
Which is a perfect quick build for me.

The Revell Kit 1/72 Sd. Kfz

Combining period photographs add well to the theme.

A good example showing the quadruple flak gun.

While in the City i managed to find a few more 1/76 models, and as seen in the picture a good range of Sample Matt Emulsion Paints,at 99p each. So for half the price of a can of paint i now have some magic colours for tiny scratch buildings. Some will be eventually seen on the Forum.

See you later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Oct 2016, 18:16

There are several Variants to take into consideration with this boxes set.
Having three sprues to a box,one could consider doing three differing variants or ones all the same.

Most certainly there will be plenty of parts and weapons in way of spears left over after construction. So it begs two questions, either onto a scrap heap outside my foundry? Or use them to upgrade existing armoured vehicles i already have aboard heavy rail rolling stock?
As i look at it there will be six guns and three machine gun`s to use elsewhere.
So that's an added Bonus! :thumbup:

The back of the box showing pattern and colours to use,if one wants to.
As the boxes stack up again Mrs B,wants them put upstairs in the Collection,but for now I`ve stacked neatly up on the far end of one of my five foot work tables. I`m the sort of fellow who needs reminding what to buy next? And so if I see e`m I`ll know because I can be very forgetful at odd times. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Modelling