Modelling

Ships Guns

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jan 2017, 13:19

Having thrashed out a few ideas this system fell into place. Above are the main components needed to make a ships gun.
There being two cocktail sticks now and No Cotton Bud is needed.
So we have the little brush used for winding the Cannon which is made using the two larger sizes of paper above.
When that gun is completly hard a cocktail stick is push through to create the pivot points. All the thin paper is wound on while the barrel is still on the brush.
Then turning the paper tube around and replacing it on the brush again the back end is made that pushes into place.
Paper stuck onto another cocktail stick as it is wound makes a perfect plug that is made to size and glued and pushed into place, but stopping short of where the pivot points are to be pushed through.

There are 6 thin strips of paper not included in the photograph,they are so tiny they would just curl up. The last two thin strips are wound and stuck into place around the protruding end of the plug .
When making more than one gun, all the measurements must be the same.
3 -1/4 inch x 1-1/4 inch made the main tube up.
2-1/4 inch x 1/2 inch strip of paper was wound and stuck onto that tube from the back end inwards.
This made a reasonable foundation for the smaller strip`s to be wound on. The front strip was stuck into place a pen tip away from that end.
This gives a good pattern to that open end front. :sst: In English writing when to opposites meet in the same sentence that makes sense. It is a Oxymoron.

All paper cut edges must finish in line on the same side.

Image]

These will paint up well and will give the illusion of ships guns,
but remember they are regimented toy guns, aimed at guys who can make boats,
but are stumped when it comes to making the guns. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 24 Jan 2017, 18:38

I thought I wrote that your technique of making guns is awesome. But I haven't.
Well, I'm doing it now:
Awesome technique of making guns Paul :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jan 2017, 22:18

Thank you Dalibor,I appreciate greatly your kind comment.

I have been fortunate last year, and hopefully this year too,of having three students I home taught here in Fiddle Wood once a week. It was always messy fun,and it helped Mrs B, and i psychologically through some very hard times. Of course it was free,and I paid for all the stuff ,and they got to take stuff home. Mainly paper Puppets! That seemed rather happy glad to leave home as they waved us good bye.

The Paper Ships Guns

As I awaited delivery of brass cannon from Poland,I started making paper guns,because it seemed a daunting challenge to try doing so. All my projects are mainly aimed at those older children who do not have lots of pocket money, so might like to try making stuff rather than just sitting pressing buttons on games that leave them so frustrated in the end. Although saying that I would be well pleased to see members give my simple system a try,and I`m sure many could make them much better than I do. Which I would be well pleased to acknowledge as a wonderful fact. It is good to use ones hands well tuned with ones mind.

It is the real ships guns that interested me greatly,and my research would take me to the very Gates of the British Admiralty, and beyond in search of a certain French & British Ship, HMS SURPRISE, and her plans and actual Guns. That info is coming soon.

To be continued BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jan 2017, 02:12

The 12 pdr Guns of HMS SUPRISE

I need another two 12 pdr`s !

I obtained blue prints of HMS SUPRISE,and enhanced so that her upper gun decks are more visible to view.

Those are the massive upgunned decks carrying 32 pdr Carranades. These took less powder to fire a broadside because they were short range guns,which fired double or indeed treble loads.

Solid iron shot, several cannasters of shot ,and a chain to create havic upon those on the wrong side of them.

( Two 9 pdr chasher guns at the front. Two 9pdrs at the back. These I already have. )

After more extensive research on HMS SUPRISE revealed 16 x 32 pdr Carranades on her upper decks,
and two 9 pdr Bow chase guns with another two at her stern. I determined myself to obtain her correct armaments come Hell or High Water as the Royal Navy says. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 25 Jan 2017, 11:48

Interesting informations!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jan 2017, 20:09

The 16 x 32 pdr carronade cannon upon the upper two decks have been ordered and are 23mm in length. These will complete the Guns of HMS SURPRISE in 1/72 Scale. The Gun Mount need building later.

What Was The Reason This Topic Was Titled Ships Guns? It was describing a pattern of actions to be taken to collect Ships Guns, and as it turned out the making of Paper Toy Guns! A sort of slight intermission I would guess for it was not part of the overall plan. I lost nearly a year of activity on this quest, through severe mental illness, but topics can be left for another better time and the rest can mean coming back with a brighter outlook of ideas.

It was way back on the 1 Aug 2015,that I decided to collect all brass guns for a 28 Gun Ship, that Frigate HMS SURPRISE finally turned out to be carring 42 Guns. She would`ve had swivel guns too,but just how many is anyone`s guess. At least 4 would`ve been on the upper decks with another dozen or so in storage to mount on the ships rowboats,as well as larger replacemen cannon. She was Officially classed as a 6th rate Frigate of 36 Guns.

The Poster was of course a joke,because many a ships crew were Pressed Ganged into actual Service! American Ships were quite often fired upon and boarded,and men pressed into British Service,these ruthless acts were part of the reasons for the War of 1812. Great Britan Lost,and a mad King was well P,,,,, Off!

Those 10 above are 32 pdr Carranade Cannon, 40mm in Length,for a much larger scale build.

Above a 68 pdr Carronade on HMS VICTORY.

Perhaps another Topic could be called The Ship?

Thank you all for following along my pathway. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2017, 20:23

Do we have a cooperation here? Mr Cryns is making the ships and Beano Boy the guns? :eh:

Love those pictures and drawings! Thanks for sharing Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2017, 12:42

Peter,no group build with Mr Cryns,we are both on differing wave lengths. Him with his fluffy white ears, and myself with my black Pirate hat on,so therefore both not in tune to muddle over such things as nautical paper guns,and flat bottomed boats.

Most of the work has been done. A cocktail stick pushed through to make the pivot points and a paint job and 28x18 pdr guns for a French Corvette named UNITE,will be complete. By the way these guns dry into very hard items indeed,and always get lots of smiles when paper is mentioned. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Michael Robert on 04 Feb 2017, 13:03

Hello Beano,

your paper guns are a very clever idea. I learned to make beautiful trees from M Cryns and now your technique for guns. It makes perfect sense to me. These guns are certainly more resilient than plastic ones being made out of a very robust composite (fibre reinforced resin).
Well, this leaves some space to create the carriages. Personally, I don't have time to make boats (too big, too involved). I'll think about that.

Best greetings Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by sansovino on 04 Feb 2017, 13:07

I agree with Michel Robert. Beano, you give us really useful informations and inspirations. I will follow your topic and let me surprise what will your next step.... thanks a lot for it....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2017, 01:35

Thank you for your kind comments Robert,and SANSOVINO,and thanks to all the guys who pressed the Like Button! :thumbup: It all helps a plenty with keeping me focused upon the unconventional scratch building hobby I fell into Yonk`s Ago!

:mrgreen: " Paper Flowers were the first things a young beano boy made."
:sst:"that was long times ago", said the shy little button!
:-D Yes very true.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2017, 01:41

The guns will be finished off today,04/02/2017,and painted.

The Officer pose will serve any ship well.
I also need a few Midshipman! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Feb 2017, 10:06

Hello Mr B.

Your ideas and those of Mr C create a feast of creative thinking.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2017, 18:01

MEMO

Photo Bucket & Tinpics are being a complete pain when it comes to Free Posting!
I have used a Free Photo Site for quite a while now it is quick and efficient where Free Posting is concerned and you don`t even have to give details or sign up. If you are interested click on the pictures below it will take you safely there. So no more photographs disappearing from the Forum ruining your Topics. BB

Imagephoto uploading

I use a pin from our pin-board to puncture the hole though.

Imagepost a picture

All the cocktail sticks are installed a guns painted.

:sst:" now the gun mounts need redefining!" The shy, timmid, little button pondered upon.
:mrgreen: " Ya,BB,will certainly run those gun`s out, quick like Lucky Jack`s crew."
:coffee: "Well guys I would not say it like that."
:sst: :cowboy: :mrgreen: :read: "Well that`s funny you just typed it!" They all replied.
:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Feb 2017, 15:08

Everything is paper except the cocktail stick and glue!

This is my first paper cannon. It certainly looks beat up and quite old. I wonder if any 1/72 scale figure would dare fire it?

Meanwhile a half finished AIRFIX Guardsman has been posted sentry duty! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by stenfalk on 28 Feb 2017, 19:31

You really did very well! :thumbup:
stenfalk  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Mar 2017, 01:47

Thanks for the pressing of the Like Button guys,
and Torsten,thanks especially for your kind comment too. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 01 Mar 2017, 10:50

Yes this looks very good. Great to see how you made such scale model out of 'almost nothing'.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Mar 2017, 15:22

Thank you Mr. Cryns.

For relative ease I intend to make those gun carriages from waste styrene sheets, as I keep all my off-cuts for other uses. The paper wheels made on the cocktail sticks can be cut off and the pointed end can be simply pushed into place in the actual gun carriage.

This formulation can vary greatly in order to make medieval guns.
Pictures of which are obtainable on line. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Mar 2017, 15:36

A big thank you goes to Michael Roberts and C M Dodson,for nice comments. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Modelling