Modelling

Ships Guns

Posted by Gowan on 22 Jan 2016, 21:16

Oats... interesting. Never would have thought of that.
Gowan  

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jan 2016, 01:15

Yes Gowan,ordinary dried oats. Very Cheap! Experimental Design in Modelling!

You can also combine and use Cotton Wool for much Greater Special Effect!
Quite a Smashing Sea! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jan 2016, 14:57

I just ordered 1mm and 2mm Ball Bearings,and they are sold in tiny packs of ten. I need 20 for each Gun which will be housed in a wooden rack in between each gun. £148 is much to higher price to pay for what i need. So i bought two packs and i will be making a pattern of the rack with the cannon balls installed and set out in rows. I need 42 which is no big deal when using The Black Stuff and Green Stuff for the actual casting of each rack. So i hope i have explained how best again to save lots of money. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Oct 2016, 23:26

The ball bearing`s were very expensive then i thought of steel shot.
This is shot gun ammo!
They actually weight teddy bears down with this stuff.
Perfect 2mm steel balls for cannon ball stacks? Or in this case ship guns.
So these go on the storage shelf with guns and other stash!
i bought a 1 kg of High Quality Steel Pellet Shot on E Bay. £6.86 free post.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jan 2017, 20:03

It would turn out to be my first attempt at making one of these,and although not perfect others could be much better and bigger. Inspired by Gowans Pirate Boat,and with him in mind because he likes to scratchbuild stuff and I thought this might well aid him to dress up a few fighting ships.

One cannot get cheaper than_
A 4 Size Paper.

One wide strip was cut off.

Three smaller strips were cut off,but one was double the width of the other two.

:mrgreen: "So now you all know how you can cut paper up."

The larger width strip is to be wrapped around the small handle of the paint brush.

The edge needed sticking down to complete the first loop.

The trick was to not get glue on the brush handle,which would make it impossible to slide off. :-D
The PVA glue was brushed on the paper.

Then turned some more,and so on.

In this repetitive way it was wound around and around.

:sst: " has bb, made chimney pots,again?" whispered the shy little button.
;-) "He can`t have,this is the wrong place for clay pots."
:mrgreen: " It is a mystery!"

That was enough rolling ,and cut off with a`Snip!' it was all stuck on.

It was given a good roll to make it neatly stuck together. Remember when you were kids rolling out that special piece of dough?

:sst: "I think bb,is going to get told off for placing this here."

Because the brush is tapered the paper must therefore wind away slightly which give s the required shape.

:coffee: While I have my tea,I would like to remind you of the Title of this topic.
:sst: "I thought a Mod,was going to ask that to bb."
:mrgreen: "It seems a right good wind up to me."

You have been most patient with me,so I will simply explain it was turned around and pushed onto the brush handle again.I would remind you of the small size strips. Yes they were wound on just in the same way. And know the cotton bud came into play.

:mrgreen: " You won`t see this on You Tube."
:cowboy: " Our Face Book."

White glue was applied,and the bud was pushed in the back end.

With more glue applied and with wet finger and thumb gripping loosely, the entire thing was turned around like an armature giving it a smooth finish.

The end was cut off,and the cotton wool from the other end came into play and was pushed into the hole.

Glued onto the end it was turned until smooth then lightly flattened out in my palm until the required backend nob was formed.

It needs a touch hole poked in, then a cocktail stick pushed through the sides, and protruding out from both side trimmed to size. So the pivet point will thus be formed. Then the Gun Carriage can be built,and with a paint job I hope it will look the part.

The Gun in question being a short 36 Pounder,was based loosely on the Bronze Gun found on the wreck of the ,S S A`YOBONAEB', which was an American Rebel Pirate ship,sunk off the coast of Normandy in 1863,by two USA Frigates in the early spring of that year. It was located in 1968,and the location keeped secret,untill it was fully salvaged in 1995. The ship was a fast paddle steamer, a blockade runner with four and aft guns,and it being built in France was then sailed to Britain where at the Tower of London she was armed with 16 heavy 36 Pounders,and 10 swivel guns.A very successful blockade runner in the two years of its service,running guns,firing caps,mail and gold to aid the Sothern Cause,up until its sinking.
The greatest mystery of all was the ships designer who only recently came to light as its name was reversed. :-D BB

Building the gun carriage next step.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by sansovino on 04 Jan 2017, 18:26

Beano Boy, thanks a lot for your tutorial and inspirations in sea warfare!
I cant take many new ideas from your tutorial. Did you serve in the navy? Your performance in your studio seems to be very professional :-D :-D :-D
sansovino  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jan 2017, 00:22

I have some crazy stuff on Tutorials, that`s for sure. The little gun-metal cannon I made on a whim,and with no special skill required. l dream ideas up all the time. It is my nature, and at times a curse.My entire house is my studio, and my work ongoing everywhere.

( I did serve but not in HMS Navy. An Army Grunt! A few elements of my life in brief can be viewed on Members Page 10. Although it is of little consequence other than myself, mainly because I did pay a high price for doing it.)

HMS SURPRISE

The thing about researching historical Ships or whatever it is,is not knowing anything before hand,other than a name. Reading the book a work of fiction,and watching the Movie ( fiction ) one can learn nothing about that ship H M S SURPRISE. Years ago I would need countless books from the public library,and reading stuff took days and days to obtain information,but now it is only a finger tip away.

The work on the gun carriage is nearing completion, so I hope to show it finished soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jan 2017, 16:43

:mrgreen: Look to the ships bow,
it is there as always ,
that the riddle lies. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2017, 00:03

A tiny template was cut out to size,and used for tracing around its edges in order that both sides of the gun mount are the same size required. later two were stuck together to form the thick Oak the gun mounts were made of. Painting will assimilate and give it that thick look of heavy hard wood.

A marked line inked around the barrel helped find that halfway point where the pivots are to be pushed through the piece. A pin was stuck into one side and held level it was pushed through the otherside very easily. After removal of the pin a craft knife with a point to its blade widened the hole slightly enough for a cocktail stick to be pushed through. Any faint line caused by the cut edge to the paper will not be seen if the gun is placed on its mount correctly. All five cutting off points to each piece of paper finish on the same side of the cannon. OK?

Left whole and sticking out of both sides would aid the next few steps which were ones of painting.
After applying matt paint it was simple to stick the cocktail stick into a block of scrap polystyrene.
( The stuff comes in free with the mail boxes that are constant in their delivery. We get to know the Postman and Postladies which is good, for they often go about unseen in all weathers without thanks of any kind. We are the delivery droping off point for other people that live in the little courtyard we live in. So many parcels and boxes arrive daily and Mrs B,finally delivers whatever to those who have been out working all day to make ends meet. )

Image]

Why make one when two are much more better, it helps gain experience of this kind of free playing,that costs only a little time,and a few pennies or two.

Next Part : Constructing the wheels and finishing this tiny little job.:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Gowan on 07 Jan 2017, 04:07

interesting stuff. Similar to how I constructed some of my cannon (I wrapped paper around a length of cocktail stick which did mean I couldn't add the mount but it is slightly easier)
Gowan  

Posted by stenfalk on 07 Jan 2017, 10:16

BB, you are one of true model builders. A "MacGyver" of small scale. It seems you find everything for your hobby in houses, cellars, on the streets - and in containers where others throw their garbage. You take it and make a wonderful little copy of reality. That's great...
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2017, 18:43

Thank you ,Sansovino, and Torsten, for commenting, You are all very kind to me a little guy playing with scraps of paper. The hits on the like is most welcome too,thanks to all of you 2. :thumbup:
Thanks for the visitors too who drop in unseen true but highly valued.
Gowan,making guns and not being able to mount them must have been a let down?
But here within this topic it overcomes lots of problems for those wishing to make them.
From the first touch of glue to the last touch of paint it is very rewarding thing to do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2017, 18:45

With two guns made it was time to move on,

The sides of these cut-outs needed the facing paper peeled off,then they were painted black. When dry they will look like rough solid hard wood. I`ll show that look later when these mounts are complete.

Thin paper strips cut to corresponding size was simply stuck to cocktail sticks by applying pva glue the paper was primed with the stuff and wound around until each caster wheel was complete. So each wheel has an axlel rod. Later another wheel will be formed in the same way on the same stick that has to be marked out first just where it goes. Once the glue has hardened the end in front of each set of wheels will be trimmed off but jutting out slightly to give a nice finishing touch to the work.
Work?__________________Well it is really playing and having fun without needing lots of energy.

This I found to be both a quick and effective way of solving the problem on how to fix wheels to the gun mount. I will show how they look later,along with each of the finish painted paper guns. :-D BB

Thank you Thorstin.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jan 2017, 03:02

Imagel]

The frame support has been half jointed as well as the sides of the gun mount. It looks a bit messy but will go together as planed.

A dry run,and shown dull. There will be a wedge where the styrene strip is. That has to be made later.

The thing looks quite old already,i feel like I am salvaging it from the wreck itself. Bah! Humbug! There`s no treasure aboard it.

Now is the time to guage the distance between each wheel,so the other wheel can be wound in the correct place.
There is a little paper fluff on the work so I dulled the picture down a bit to lesson the distraction.
This will tidy up,or tidy down depending how one views it.

Luky Jack`s Surprise Beginning.
A Ripping Yarn.

The weather was foggy as Captain Jack Aubrey,and Mr Pudding were eyeing through telescopes for a possible enemy ship,but saw none. Aubrey,ordered Mr Pudding back to his duty,and as Pudding left trundling his way down the well worn steps,the Captain turned around to have just another look at the thickest drifting fog bank . It was then he saw cannon flashes,and shouted out, Get down! Everyone get down. It was a split second before he`d finished shouting when his ship HMS SURPRISE, was stradled by French iron shot,and scrap metal those Frenmen,had tipped into their guns after the iron ball had been stuffed in. Old horse shoe nails rusty as they came was a favourate for Boney`s Navy. As the ship was raked with this stuff sending many a man sliced. Soon they were crying out ,but none at that moment in time were heard above the ongoing sound of flying objects, and the carnage caused by splintering wood. Men hit on deck were sent flying,while others were caught up in the ropes of the ships rigging,and so were twisted limp like and oddly way out of shape like torn open rag dolls. The foremast having taking a hit in several places , creaked out a moan as if it were declaring it was near to spliting its way upwards ,before collapsing onto both deck ,and the misty sea. Lucky Jack Aubrey bleeding from a head wound,was feeling his way along the deck in utter distress, when another broardside hit his ship again sending splintered Oak a flying and ripping anything that happened to get in its way to shreds. There was no time for Beat to Quarters, for he along with everyone aboard The SURPRISE, had been caught napping.

AS it was the ship and crew had taken quite a thrashing and within 6 minutes.The case was, the French Frigate fired it`s guns and it,the 60 Gun ACHERON, three mile away turned and glided smoothly into the cover of the drifting fog. Its Captain, would turn his ship again to finish off his pray , sinking it or taking Aubrey`s ship a prize.
The wildest sea chase was on, and HMS SURPRISE,was crippled.
:sst: " written by BB."_______ :-D That`s right little button. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jan 2017, 18:02

The plan B Gunmounts

The 36 Pounder

My 32 Pounder Toy Gun.

The work needs buffing up, wheels added,a wooden wedge added to level the guns.The the guns finally mounted.

:mrgreen: "Yah Get E`m Blasting!" :coffee: " Time for Tea." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 15 Jan 2017, 13:17

I have missed that until today. Crazy, really great modelling art, Paul. What a combination of ideas. I love it.
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 15 Jan 2017, 13:43

MABO wrote:I have missed that until today. Crazy, really great modelling art, Paul. What a combination of ideas. I love it.

Yes I agree completely with MABO. For the last days I wanted to compliment you for this. Especially the gun barrels made of paper... and the result looks so good.

I remember at age 15 I owned one Hinchliffe fortress gun and wanted to make many more for all six bastions of my styrofoam fortress: I tried casting white metal in a clay mold. Those gun barrels came out of that mold pretty flat. Should I have known about this paper method of yours, I would have had much better result. :yeah:
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jan 2017, 21:47

Many thanks Jan, and Mr .Cryns,
i guess a few more ideas might well give better looking end result! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jan 2017, 18:48

Cannon Balls

There he is holding his ball,while the other one has rolled over with a bad head ache!

A nip of my medicaition and he`s fit for active service on HMS BEANOBOY.

Image BB

Shotgun Ammo. Stainles Steel balls used to weight down Teddy Bears. A large bag for £7.00 a much better buy than buying tiny ball bearings for ships cannon balls. Hat figures,Gun and Gun Crew. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2017, 18:14

I`m getting used to making the paper Guns which will be used on something I suppose. I tried out several methods and I made 3 today very quickly.
Repetition really works. Since a boy I have loved to make things and will never change.I do it to help the little guy.
Gun Platforms are still pending.

However I ordered some real nice ships cannon from Poland,and they got my order because they are trust worthy, and have reduced their postage charge to
The Whole World. Two Lots Postage to UK only £1.95
Brass is not Cheap but I figure I got a good deal,for what I wanted.

20 Brass Ships Guns.
Length 32mm 1/1/4 inch
So I will be doing conversions as well as looking for some more Ships Gun Crews.
I have material a plenty to make the Gun Mounts! BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Modelling