Modelling

picture of Post mill at Waterloo

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Aug 2014, 00:53

This was one picture that inspired me to scratch-build my Post-mill model in connection with the Waterloo battle.
( In the famous movie Napoleon rested in one during the battle and I have always wondered if this could turn out to be true. )
The other picture that I cannot show was one such mill made for the Diorama Crobern-1813 ,where a quite splendid model was scratch built.I researched further the the Post-Mill which is never hardly mentioned in the history of the battle. However I`m sure that there was one and these two pictures gave me the insight needed to make one. Of course being Me a research Nut , I read tons of stuff concerning this issue and I became aware through records that there was once such a Post Mill not two hundred yards from my house in Fiddlewood.

A Post-Mill, a medieval prefabricated Mill,which could be moved and erected elsewhere if necessary. The concept was brilliant cut down an ancient Oak tree,but leave a high stump where the Mill could be erected resting upon a pivit .The whole mill with all its machinery was supported on this fixed post,so it could be rotated and face the wind. Wood framed sails located above the millstone drove the grindstone through a set of wooden gears. Quite common was these structures could easyily catch fire in strong wind and burn down even though a brake was applied. My Postmill was the first thing that I placed upon this Forum and I have just become aware that those pictures are no longer there on that Topic. This was due to circumstances way beyond my control.I will endeavour to find the original picture that I posted. However with over 19.000 photo`s to sift through it will take a little time to do this. I could reshoot the item,but it is asleep somewhere and boxed away with other boxes in a very large cuboard which means pulling them all out in order to do it.No it is far easyer to use my finger on the keyboard in such a search. For sentimental reasons I will find it. Thank you for taking time out to read this. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Aug 2014, 01:37

Thanks for the like button guys. I found some pictures however I had to place backup files on my new PC a wonderful job I made of it. It knocked my filing system for six and reshuffled all my photo files all over the place so I`ll have to get Mrs B to help de-suffle them in some kind of comprehensive style where my noggin oh a head can easily find stuff. Above slightly inferior picture compared with what my new camera can shoot,however I found it and some others too. Some of them unseen on the Forum.

According to research 18 men could stand side by side on one of the wooden sails, so this was why I took this shot long ago with these guys spaced out. These were not small structures at all.

In this picture above can be seen the wheel that helped turn the mill into the wind. This was simply done by looping the rope over post`s that had been set into the ground at intervals, ( These can be seen dotted around the mill in the first picture above.) and once looped the wheel was turned until the mill was just in the right position for the sails to catch the wind.Two metal rods of iron were hammered into the ground either side of the wheel platform to anchor it in place, so it stayed put!Now I must add now that canvas sail cloth was tied to these wooden sail`s very much like sailors working in the ships rigging did. In the painted picture you can make out the canvas flapping loose from the wooden sail. The model canvas sails were made,but lost somewhere! Well I being the bright spark the FiddleWood Gnome that I am ,I wanted to see this thing in action in our garden,and so after placing it in a convenient spot to catch the wind it began to spin at such a rate ot knots that I feared it would burst into flames.Thick grey smoke was already bellowing out through the door ways. So out I rushed out of the house and grabed it and never tried it out again. "Well, we know it spin`s," I remarked to Mrs B with smile,and we both laughed out a loud . Mrs B`s sail cloth she`d run up on the sewing machine worked wonderfully well indeed,they nearly helped turn my model into ashes.

Halfway house can be seen in this shot.

(A short note: After the Battle of Ligny,Wellington rode to a meeting with Blucher at the Postmill of Brye.)

Well,that's that, picture restored, now it can be viewed again by others on Google too. Thank`s again for taking time out to view and read this.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by vellek on 05 Aug 2014, 15:51

Terrific stuff, BB
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Lamarque on 05 Aug 2014, 16:31

WOW, :shock: :love: Wonderful stuff, i can only wish i had such modelling skills !
Lamarque  Portugal

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Aug 2014, 17:54

Hi guys I`ve just come on line, and saw the little "like" pictures come up.Gosh! Thank you so much,it really makes my day,a Good One. When I became aware all my original photo`s had gone from my former topic,I was sorely tempted to shrug my shoulders and ignore the fact. However call it pure nostalgia or whatever, I just had to restore the lost picture. Lamarque,there are many of my How To Topics on this Forum,and here are a few tips on my modelling skill`s, "If you can can clumsily work in highly organized clutter! If you can cut your fingers with a sharp craft-knife,quite often ,burn your fingers with white hot pin`s while doing conversions, knock over open paint tins,paint white horses Pink! ( Very True! ) Tip dirty jar full`s of water and brushes over, get PVA glue all over your clothes, superglue your finger`s together.Measure things wrong to start ,and simply try to correct them later with a hammer! Stay up at night till the wee small hours painting and converting figures, and then fall asleep after in the bath and nearly drown, and Yes! After you Master the Art of doing all these thing`s,and do all the other antics beside like happy FiddleWood Gnomes like myself do.Then you and anyone else is capable of much finer efforts then mine. " BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by snagy on 08 Aug 2014, 14:49

Very nice work, I like also the well elaborated details.
Will you keep this greyish colour - or some wood-brown hues will be given?
With friendly regards:
snagy
snagy  Hungary

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Aug 2014, 00:45

Nice to have your comment snagy.In answer to your question,I have thought of giving it a colourwash in differing colours but I kind`da like it the way it is.In the old days they made a lime wash and applied it with mop`s. The base has to be finished with grass and stuff.I bought a static grass Applicator ,but never got round to finish the job.I gess I`m a wee bit lazy, but one day I`ll fetch it out and do it justice. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Modelling