Modelling

Late WW2 German uniform colour

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Jun 2018, 00:10

I've been busy "pimping" my existing 3 late war forces (German, British & US) with an eye to getting back into WW2 gaming. I haven't had a game in this period for over 4 years.

At any rate, I want to add various figures (especially the excellent HaT tank riders) to existing vehicles etc.
and the horrible enamel paints, used back then, have dried solidly.

So, could I get a recommendation for Vallejo colours to paint German uniforms? I remember(?) the base tunic colour should be a greenish-grey? I'm not going to do anything with camo, for a number of reasons.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Jun 2018, 01:06

By late war, the colors were all over the place. Just about any grey to greenish-grey could and was seen in the field. You really can't go wrong.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 12 Jun 2018, 01:47

Great question! I have a ton of illustrations and pictures saved and Bluefalchion is accurate. It appears that colors where a complete hodgepodge.
Vallejo makes German fieldgray ww2 - 70830. I like it and I mix it with other colors to try and get the shades I want.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Jun 2018, 06:03

One of my uncles told me that after Germany surrendered in '45, he was in one of the first RN detachments sent to Kiel arrived to sort out the mess & the locals thought their woollen uniforms were worn for propaganda reasons & they had trouble believing they were standard issue to ordinary seamen.

I guess apart from being smashed militarily, the Germans were on their last legs in terms of logistics too.

Cool.

I'll pop down to the LHS tomorrow.
I need some Dunkelgelb, too.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Jun 2018, 10:26

Ochoin wrote:One of my uncles told me that after Germany surrendered in '45, he was in one of the first RN detachments sent to Kiel arrived to sort out the mess & the locals thought their woollen uniforms were worn for propaganda reasons & they had trouble believing they were standard issue to ordinary seamen.

I guess apart from being smashed militarily, the Germans were on their last legs in terms of logistics too.

donald

To say Germany was having supply problems towards the end is an understatement. But actually the feldgrau was never consistent across the board at any point because each manufacturer, and there were several, produced items using their own interpretation.

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Jun 2018, 12:02

Bluefalchion wrote:To say Germany was having supply problems towards the end is an understatement. But actually the feldgrau was never consistent across the board at any point because each manufacturer, and there were several, produced items using their own interpretation.

How positively medieval.
It's unbelievable how the Germans achieved so much when it wasn't until from mid 1943 on, that Germany switched to a full war economy overseen by Albert Speer.

All this is outside the scope of wargaming of course.......or is it?
I certainly don't allow the Germans to field more than 2 Tigers in a game, for instance. And I have had games that allowed German tanks only so many moves before they ran out of fuel.

I am also considering having any games set in 1945 with some German troops being of very poor morale (due to supply problems etc) along side die hard fanatics in the Waffen SS.

Admittedly I don't have any Waffen SS yet & I'm not really keen to paint any. The other side of the coin is provided by a rather nice Pegasus set:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=822

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Jun 2018, 18:25

Apparently the SS guys all had their number tattooed inside their arm or something. Once the Russians figured that out, not too many had much luck during the immediate aftermath of the war.

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Jun 2018, 07:35

Bluefalchion wrote:Apparently the SS guys all had their number tattooed inside their arm or something. .

Jeez, I like adding detail to my figures but at 1/72 tattoos in the inner arm are a bit beyond my skill level.
;-)

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Arkoudaki on 20 Jun 2018, 01:40

I would recommend the Andrea set for recreating field grey,

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/ ... paint-set/

Vallejo does a set but it isn't as good as the Andrea ones, in my opinion. LifeColor also does a set of general colors, and they are good paints too.
Arkoudaki  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Jun 2018, 03:15

Thanks for the tip. Those paint sets look very cool.

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Jun 2018, 05:49

Arkoudaki wrote:I would recommend the Andrea set for recreating field grey,

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/ ... paint-set/

Vallejo does a set but it isn't as good as the Andrea ones, in my opinion. LifeColor also does a set of general colors, and they are good paints too.

Well, for better or worse, I'd bought and painted my 30 or so HaT German tank riders with Vallejo paint before I read this.

To be honest, I'm pretty happy with the results. Adding the "sitzen Germans" to various vehicles, including Hanomags, trucks and Kubelwagens, has improved the look of my N**i force considerably.

It did, too, to my British Ww2 force and I should begin work on my late war US force this week.

Donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Modelling