Modelling

Solving glue

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 19 Mar 2017, 09:37

Dear Friends, I have purchase some figures, 40mm Amazons by Peipp, Dresden. They are already mounted (assembled?), because they were his exhibits for the shop-windows. They are glued with PVAC/casein glue (german: Weißleim) and with two-component-expoxy glue. Most of the constructions coudl be solved by smooth violence, but some of the more tiny parts are very sensitiv. How can I solve the glue? Alcohol, Terpentine, cleaning benzin oder simple warm water? Image Image
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by sberry on 19 Mar 2017, 10:43

Sorry for the bad news, but in principle there is no solvent for both these glues.
In the case of PVA, I would recommend to give the figures a bath in warm water for some time. The PVA glue will absorb some water, I suppose, and become softer, so that you can separate the parts more easily.
For 2K epoxy, there is only the method of using violence, I'm afraid.

It is funny that you have problems with these two materials, because this exactly mirrors the situation in archaeology: But PVA and epoxy resin were used liberally by earlier generations of museum experts for conservation and reconstruction of artefacts. Today, these polymers are seen as a curse, because they are so difficult to remove.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 19 Mar 2017, 11:01

Thanks. This was exactly my nightmare....I´ll try the hot water. If the glue is softend al little, it may help.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 19 Mar 2017, 19:20

Since the figures are from metal, when you have finished with Pva glue, general use thinner, (used from car painters for cleaning their tools) could be handy. If you leave the figures for some hours in a pot full of thinner, I believe that your difficult task, would become easier. I hope for the best.
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by mickey mouse on 19 Mar 2017, 19:40

Yes, white glue will soften in warm/hot water. But there is also a third option. Paint it as it is. Make individuall scenes with the figures you have. What ever you deceid to do, it will turn out great.
mickey mouse  Netherlands
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 19 Mar 2017, 23:17

I cannnot reach important part of the figures. The figures shown are the lesser complex figures. This is no way.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 24 Mar 2017, 09:45

Just a lucky guess, maybe you can try to deep freeze them and then put them in very hot water.
Maybe glue will crack under temperature shock?
And if you decide to try that, don't give upon first attempt. Give it some chance.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 24 Mar 2017, 18:26

Roland_Kupski  Germany

Return to Modelling