Visited Events

Bastogne 2012

Posted by MABO on 31 Dec 2012, 15:54

Before the end of this year I would like to show some pictures of the "Nuts-Festival" in Bastogne from the 15.-16.December. This is the annual event to evoke the "Siege of Bastogne" in December `44 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne.

My family and I did not exactly know what would happen and could be seen, but we heard of a lot of reenactment. So we drove to Houffalize and stayed in a hotel there. While sitting on the breakfast-table we saw some GI´s from the 2.Armored Division and their Willy Jeep coming directly from the Westerwald. So we know that there must be something going on and started to Bastogne. On the half way is the Village Foy and there in the parts Recogne and Cobru was a really big Reenactment with a lot of People from all over Europe. It was a really nice and friendly atmosphere.

The "Americans" stayed in Recogne and the "Germans" in Cobru.

In the church of Recogne there was a hospital of the Americans. We were impressed by all the details.

The German army was represented by a lot of people from eastern Europe. So the Panther was from Warszawa.

On the first day in the villages there was a presentation of the different vehicles and the living during the campain. The next day there was a demonstration of the fighting. Unfortunately it was raining the whole time. Historical incorrect!

In the city of Bastogne there was a parade an some other official thing - we did not managed to see - but in the barracks there where also a lot of old vehicles to see and one can visit the old HQ of Anthony McAuliffe and the 101.Airborne.
Some of the old tanks and halftracks stood in the basement of my parents - as Matchbox-Models.

Also some tough Scots have be there!

Since we returned home we save money for a Willy Jeep ;-)
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by KenzoSato on 31 Dec 2012, 19:31

:thumbup:
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Mai Strac on 31 Dec 2012, 19:37

Wow amazing!!! Very impressive the hospital in the church!! :drool: Thank you very much for sharing!!!! :love: :love: :thumbup:
And happy new year too!!!! :occasion: :wave:
Mai Strac  Italy

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 31 Dec 2012, 21:27

Great pictures, and thanks for sharing. Looks like this was a very good event, despite the rain.
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 01 Jan 2013, 22:30

I see you visited my home country for another great event Jan! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by zzed on 02 Jan 2013, 00:56

thanks for sharing :thumbup:
zzed  Croatia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bookman on 12 Jan 2013, 20:55

Looks interesting ...
Bookman  Germany

Posted by MABO on 13 Jan 2013, 16:21

It was. :-D
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by diomichi on 05 Mar 2013, 09:34

Hi,

I visited Bastogne at this time and the reanactment at Recogne was amazing.
Only the weather was sometimes very wet :(
At the parade in the town of Bastogne we could see a lot of beautiful restored vehicles.
Last we were in the Barracs of Bastogne and in the restore hall of the royal militairy museum of Belgium.
There we could see a Stug III F8 for restauration and a IS 3.

Cheers
Michel
diomichi  Germany

Return to Visited Events