Questions

English Civil War Flags

Posted by Alanus on 27 Mar 2010, 09:25

Hi everyone. I've been painting some flags for the ECW, and thought there might be other members of the forum who could use them. Here are some examples:

A Parliamentarian cavalry cornet

A Royalist cavalry cornet

A Covenanter foot ensign

Details about these ones and some other flags are over on my blog. If anyone uses any of them, I'd love to see a photo!

Cheers,
Alan.
Alanus  Australia

Posted by musketier on 27 Mar 2010, 15:14

nice work, unfortunately I can't seem to get to your blog for some reason.
:( :thumbup:
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Martin on 27 Mar 2010, 22:12

Nice flags, Alan.
Your own paintwork??
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Paul on 27 Mar 2010, 22:49

'After yon Papist!' :-)
These flags are really good :thumbup: :thumbup:
Like martin I will ask , you did these yourself?
Paul  China

Posted by Dad's Army on 27 Mar 2010, 23:03

Alanus says: I've been painting some flags for the ECW...

what will that mean ;-)
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by musketier on 28 Mar 2010, 00:04

ah cool it works now
:thumbup:

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Alanus on 28 Mar 2010, 00:09

Thanks chaps! Yes, I painted them. The flags designs are all from Alan Young's book The English Emblem Tradition v. 3: Emblematic Flag Devices of the English Civil Wars In the book he includes black and white scans of any known drawings of the flags from manuscripts, with notes about the colours. I have been partly tracing, partly copying these by hand, and reversing the image (by tracing) so that I get both sides of the flag. Then I paint them by hand using Vallejo paints.

The originals are about 5cm square, so I'll use a printer to reduce the originals for use in 1/72 scale.

This been good fun, and a good break from painting Landsknechts (aaaarrrgh!), but I'm new to this, so any suggestions about how they could be improved gratefully received.

Musketier - I'm not sure why you can't access my blog. You could try googling 'Dux Homunculorum' - hopefully that will work.

Cheers,
Alan.
Alanus  Australia

Posted by musketier on 28 Mar 2010, 00:36

Alanus wrote:Thanks chaps! Yes, I painted them. The flags designs are all from Alan Young's book The English Emblem Tradition v. 3: Emblematic Flag Devices of the English Civil Wars In the book he includes black and white scans of any known drawings of the flags from manuscripts, with notes about the colours. I have been partly tracing, partly copying these by hand, and reversing the image (by tracing) so that I get both sides of the flag. Then I paint them by hand using Vallejo paints.

The originals are about 5cm square, so I'll use a printer to reduce the originals for use in 1/72 scale.

This been good fun, and a good break from painting Landsknechts (aaaarrrgh!), but I'm new to this, so any suggestions about how they could be improved gratefully received.

Musketier - I'm not sure why you can't access my blog. You could try googling 'Dux Homunculorum' - hopefully that will work.

Cheers,
Alan.

I can access now but I couldn't earlier today, nice blog

Posted by seven-nine on 28 Oct 2013, 13:55

I have been trying to paint flags and have been trying out designs with water-colour/acrylic paints on water-colour pad. My thoughts have been to reduce them, print them off, cut them out and then glue them to foil before attaching them to a lance. I'd like to know how you do yours and what material you use for painting. I have started drawing mine out on the computer and using clip art for the heraldic devices (much better than my efforts at drawing lions, etc.!
seven-nine  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 28 Oct 2013, 18:08

seven-nine wrote:I have been trying to paint flags and have been trying out designs with water-colour/acrylic paints on water-colour pad. My thoughts have been to reduce them, print them off, cut them out and then glue them to foil before attaching them to a lance. I'd like to know how you do yours and what material you use for painting. I have started drawing mine out on the computer and using clip art for the heraldic devices (much better than my efforts at drawing lions, etc.!

You can find my method here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6765&p=101500&hilit=making+a+flag#p101500 ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 28 Oct 2013, 19:41

Do a Google Picture search, "English civil war flags" - there´s loads out there,
You Need to check on Copyright but when you´ve found some free ones, snip ( in the case of the above) , resize, make a mirror Image next to it,and follow peters instructions.
Warflag has loads for free.
http://www.warflag.com/flags/ecw/ecw.shtml
Paul  China

Posted by seven-nine on 30 Oct 2013, 19:58

Thanks to everyone for the information. Will try to make good use of it.

I am a beginner and wonder if anyone knows how best to shade/highlight a flag of monotone nature, that is, basically just a square of one single colour. I have difficulty with this, especially if it's blue, for some reason. Anyone got any advice?
seven-nine  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 30 Oct 2013, 20:46

seven-nine wrote:Thanks to everyone for the information. Will try to make good use of it.

I am a beginner and wonder if anyone knows how best to shade/highlight a flag of monotone nature, that is, basically just a square of one single colour. I have difficulty with this, especially if it's blue, for some reason. Anyone got any advice?

TBH, I´ve never thought about it but I reckon that one could Highlight or shade in the same way one would highligh/shade when painting the folds of clothing.
The way I do it is to Highlight but I fold and crease the flags anyway, so natural shade and highlighting is created anyway.
Paul  China

Posted by John on 31 Oct 2013, 21:58

They will look great in situ Alanus.
I could have used some of those myself but have already made more than I need.
All I have to do now is finish the figures to go with them.
John  England
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Return to Questions