Questions

Three Kingdoms "southern tribesmen"?

Posted by Kaiphranos on 20 May 2022, 11:17

So with the release of the Caesar Three Kingdoms Shu set, I've been looking into what it would take to build some armies for that era, and the DBA army list calls for a couple of units of "southern tribesmen." I'm guessing these are supposed to be Nanman or Yue of some sort, but I haven't been able to find any useful depictions of them. Anyone got a source to recommend?
Kaiphranos  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 07 Jul 2022, 02:57

Hey mate, I've been thinking about making a three kingdoms army for a while as well, and I've quite liked the look of the Nanman.

I remember in the Three Kingdoms tv show (2010) the Nanman are featured in an episode with elephants and flame throwers but I don't know which one it is.

We do have sources from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is a partially fictionalised account of the period:

"In the middle was the King, who advanced to the front. He wore a golden, inlaid headdress; his belt bore a lion's face as clasp; his boots had pointed toes and were green; he rode a frizzy-haired horse the color of a red hare; he carried at his waist a pair of swords chased with the pine amber... The King of the Nanman was clad in mail of rhinoceros hide and wore a bright red casque. In his left hand he bore a shield, and his right gripped a sword."

"Mu Lu rode up on his white elephant, dressed in silks, and with many gold and pearl ornaments. He wore a double sword at his belt"

The issue is the account also says that the Nanman can use magic and consort with tigers and such.

Visually, I'm going to take my cues from the Furious Wilds total war expansion for Three Kingdoms total war, they appear to fit with the popular conception of what the Nanman looked like, but converting the figures could be difficult.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Return to Questions