Questions

An Early Photograph

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jun 2014, 01:56

An Early Photograph

It was taken back in the day,in 1847

Do you know who this is? Below is his coat of arms.

He was once Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Emperor on 24 Jun 2014, 15:33

I thought it was your great grandfather, since you said he was a Nobleman LOL
Emperor  

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Jun 2014, 16:20

If it is Disraeli I have an album with his group Gears called Cream. :-D Or did I get something wrong there? :scratch:
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Ben Bob on 24 Jun 2014, 20:53

Susofrick wrote:If it is Disraeli I have an album with his group Gears called Cream. :-D Or did I get something wrong there? :scratch:

Yes, and he's an old relative of some man named Ginger Baker, I believe :scratch: :mrgreen:
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by David O'Brien on 24 Jun 2014, 21:15

That motto should have been the one the England football followed. They played as if they wore his boots.
I obviously know who it is but :sst:
.... did you know Disraeli Gears was based on a mistake for the bicycle Derailleur gears. I saw them at the time with that line up Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton in a small club with about 50 people.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2014, 02:37

First of all let me state for the record I am not a titled lord or anything near to being one ,what I refurred to was my family name of Howes has a Coat of Arms. Most people can trace their own coat of arms on line like I did.

Now these are my rules so,I`ll give you another clue. He was also the Constable of the Tower of London ("Guarding The Crown Jewels "),for 26 years,and having a great nose for smell drained the moat of water because it was impregnated with putrid animal and extramentitous matter, and emitting a most obnoxious smell. Several men from the garrison died and 80 were in hospital due to the poor water supply.Local Cholera outbreaks were blamed on the moat.So ? drained it and created the dry ditch that visitors see today. The entire green can be seen in both pictures and it was once the moat. Sorry to hear England had the wrong boots on and lost. Unlike this un-named fellow who had his boots on and won. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by David O'Brien on 25 Jun 2014, 18:25

Some of us have regal pretensions
This is one of my work rooms
I was going to enter it for HaT's contest :-)

BTW this is a real postcard not photo shopped and the coat of arms and motto are bona fide. The lions have been half painted like my model collection so the half finished job goes back a long way - a 1000 years to be precise.

Sadly being one of the oldest families in Europe means there are a lot of us. The castle belongs to the head of the clan.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by KGV on 25 Jun 2014, 22:45

Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Boots. I claim my £5.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jun 2014, 02:36

KGV,and David O`Brien you both nailed it.So you are joint Winners.

While Mrs B was Owling in the kitchen. No,not howling her eyes out crying. Owling,yes Owling . Making these Olw`s.

I was researching the family name. So here are the coat of arms.,and my family derives from Howe.

Back in the early day of Norman England (1066 ) it has changed into Howes.

Years ago I found three red Wild-Boar`s on the coat of arms for Howe,but could not find it this time.I think it was the Welsh side of my Line.I will look into it futher later.

Now where`s my coffee gone?

Have fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 26 Jun 2014, 04:56

BB, I'd give you a like, but the button seems to have gone..........
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jun 2014, 22:04

That`s,A OK KGV I take that as a compliment. I`m afraid that often is the case my Wit,is not everyones cup of tea. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jul 2014, 08:26

While doing some research upon another matter that would be of no interest here,I came upon this picture,and yes I got side-tracked and well behind in my work.
The picture shows British Tank`s one of Britains Top Secret Weapons in the hands of the Germans. So is this unusuail in war? No, captured Tank`s were used after battle damage had been repaired by the Germans,but these British Tank`s had not so much as a scratch upon them,and were factory fresh.I wondered how on earth if the fighting was contained in the Trenches did the Germans manage to obtain them in this state?

Well after a while I found the answer to my thoughts upon this subject. The war was not contained entirely in trench warfare and this picture proves it. Yes the Germans captured a whole trainload of one of Britains Top Secret Weapons!Gosh! The British War Office must have been ripping their hair out upon receiving this news.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jul 2014, 10:32

Upon further reflection,those tank`s in the picture of the railway train seem oddly to contradict the history upon how tanks were shipped out of the factory. They are not in wooden crates. In fact the tanks were never shipped out in crates on one occasion from the factory centre at Thetford England. The destination was inscribed "With Care to Petrograd" in Russian on the hull for their transport to Russia.
The photo of the train is dated 1917,so are those in the picture these tanks shipped to Russia? Well I gess without other information that question can never be answered in full. One thing is for certain the railway trailers (Wagons ) cannot be the ones from Britain because of the differing size of the rail way system elsewhere.So it remains a Mystery!

The picture of the Wheel Russian Tzar Tank,is the reason Britain shipped the tanks out to Russia in the first place,because they had no idea on how too design their own. When Russia was undergoing a revolution, the country in tatters the people fed up,the communists against the war,Britain sends them a top secret weapon.Russian Peace with the Germans finally came in 1917, ( The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk ),the date of the picture. So did the powers that be just simply hand over the tanks to the Germans as a goodwill jesture? Perhaps. I thought this topic upon these questions might be of interest to some members. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jul 2014, 22:52

Above is the A7V Galandwagon 1917,and the interesting thing about the A7V is out of the 120 ever made only 20 were used as fighting machines.The rest were used as cargo carriers .

They were in action from March to October of 1918. Mephisto the A7V tank is seen captured below.

Mephisto now resides in the Australian War Memorial ,Queensland.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Sep 2014, 20:40

I saw these and I now what they are,but thought to have some fun,by asking a couple of questions to you who have eyes for it.
So here goes.

(1) What are these things?
They are made of brass and were specially made for a certain person of Waterloo fame.
(2) Who was he?

This could be quite fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Mar 2015, 17:48

Although the photo taken in 1915 might be misleading, who is this well known person? A clue, in 1885. he was an Officer in the British 11th Hussars. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Mar 2015, 17:52

OPP`S! It was the British 4th Hussars! Sorry guys.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Marvin on 03 Mar 2015, 23:05

Beano Boy wrote:Image

Although the photo taken in 1915 might be misleading, who is this well known person? A clue, in 1885. he was an Officer in the British 11th Hussars. BB

Looks a little like a certain Mr Churchill? ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Mar 2015, 12:39

Correct Marvin.
The first picture dates from 1915 when Churchel was indeed First Sea Lord of the Admiralty.

This much earlier and very correct side photo is of the young Officer & Gentleman Winston Churchill in 1895. ( Quote Queen Victoria)

This one not correct,because the negative was placed the wrong side round when producing the photo. He looks quite different. I could have used this picture ,but that would have been cheating.
So I choose the pilot training school one of 1915. I thought it might Hood Wink many,but as it appears so not Marvin. Well Spotted! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Oct 2015, 13:34

The Inquisitive Man

While doing research,with the aim of not wishing to show the savageness of total war, I found this photograph to be very curious indeed,and obviously this little fellow is very brave not to be afraid of Over Large Tigers.
Seen by me as not in Past Tense, because that precise moment a pinpoint is frozen in time__and so there he is. Both they ,and the photographer seem completely oblivious of him.
I wonder if while awaiting his bus,this Huge Beast turned up.Perhaps he is thinking while looking at the basket of food,"They have a better lunch than me." BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Questions