Questions

Earl of Uxbridge

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 May 2014, 04:00

Talking recently of Henry William Paget,2nd Earl of Uxbridge. Later the 1st Marquess of Anglesey who commanded 13.000 Allied Cavalry and 44 Guns of Horse Artillery at the Battle of Waterloo, a question sprang up. What head gear did he wear at the Battle of Waterloo?Image

Now years ago I modelled him as best as I could ,as he is seen in the picture but is this correct?

( The picture is in public domain so no copyright issues for Benno.) Of course I already know of the cavalry charge and of him losing his leg toward the end of that battle. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 24 May 2014, 08:21

This is one of your best painted horses so far.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by blucher1815red on 24 May 2014, 10:03

Splendid work BB, you have done a fiathfull reproduction of that print, the question about head gear? he wore a shako as well as dark blue overalls & pelise, the only thing we cannot be sure of is if he wore his dark blue dolman of his regiment or a red one which he was entitled to have because of his rank.
blucher1815red  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 May 2014, 12:04

Thank you Dalibor nice of you to comment in such a kind way. Thank you too blucher for a quick response to my question you have just saved me a ton of reading and fudging through Book`s. Great news a Shako with the gold rings around the top. Back in the day all I could ever hope to work from were old prints in book`s. Year`s ,and year`s on now since that time and the PC is such a wise and useful tool to use,along with information of good reliable friends. Thank You again guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Tony Barton on 24 May 2014, 21:50

There is a Dighton painting of him , supposedly at Waterloo, where he is wearing an all-blue uniform with a shako , no pelisse .Blue shabrack . All decoration gold.
There is another larger painting of the battle , where he is wearing his dark blue pelisse , has light blue overalls with a gold stripe , and a shako, and is wearing a moustache and joined sideburns .
I suspect there are other versions as well , some like yours with a busby !
So which one is correct is anyone's guess ....
Tony Barton  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 May 2014, 11:20

Not a very good picture of the Shako worn by this actor portraying The Earl of Uxbridge,but I just wanted to show you that I totally understood the look of the Shako worn back in the day.Image Just how I am going to do tiny rings at this present time is beyond my little head of reasoning.Perhaps a row of dots painted onto gold would achieve the look.Or perhaps a piece of fine lace painted in gold could be stuck on. Yip! My mind is pondering upon a solution and in the end I`ll get there.Or someone could just kindly tell me how to do it. Thank You Tony for your fine input on my little question,it was nice of you to take interest in it. I must own up that it was my Uncle Neddy Eddy Longbottom Beano who raised this question.So those who know of my writing style will realise yes that I was talking to myself a wonderful thing that I tend to do when typing. I was never sure you see if the model I converted was correct. So now 98% certain I know what this Lord looked like,but did he have a Moustache? Image Above is the picture which I used as a reference point years ago, and I now believe it to be of how he was supposed to have looked in the Corunna campaign when he served under General Moore and he has a moustache. Artistic Licence perhaps.One thing for certain is this Earl Uxbridge was one heck of a good cavalry commander not just at Waterloo,but before at the battle of Benevente and Sahagun in the Peninsular war. After 1808 he eloped with the Charlotte Wellesley,the wife of Sir Henry Wellesley, Wellingtons brother. After this he never served under Wellington until the 18th June 1815 where without any animosity he was placed in command of all the Allied Cavalry. What happened next is assigned to the annals of history and is quite altogether another story. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 May 2014, 11:46

Wow! I just found this. Image Uxbridge`s Pioneering wooden leg is still at the family`s ancestral seat. The actual Shako is placed next to it. Gosh! That's an awful lot of Gold on it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by blucher1815red on 25 May 2014, 12:25

Great pictures BB, in the last one with his wooden leg you can also see the dark blue overall trousers he was wearing at Waterloo, that large feather plume on the shako was not worn on the day of the battle, the picture of the actor shows a very good example of what he actually was wearing, there are several references of him having a moustache.
blucher1815red  England

Posted by MABO on 25 May 2014, 12:40

Interesting picture. I only know that his leg was buried at Hougomont by his men. Btw : I like your painted version of Uxbridge. I have a figure from http://www.artminiaturen.de

This fig was part of the set "Wellingtons Staff"

MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 26 May 2014, 20:48

I found a picture of what he was wearing at the battle of Waterloo.

Jan, his leg was burried at the cemetery of Waterloo. His wooden leg is part of the collection of the Wellington museum in Waterloo.

More information about the Earl of Uxbridge can be found here
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 May 2014, 02:38

Thank you all kindly for your great response on my posted question ,and thank you MABO for posting the photo`s . At a later time I will convert another figure to represent Uxbridge at Waterloo wearing a Shako using the same pose from Italeri 6008 Napoleonic French Hussars. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Sep 2014, 21:08

These were most likely made for Henry William Paget,1st Marquess of Anglesey, during his service after Waterloo ,as the design of one stirrip appears to have been made to accommodate his artificial wooden leg.

Yes ,they are the Earl of Uxbrige`s Stirrups. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Erik-Jan on 26 Nov 2015, 07:11

some more uniform info for the earl and his aides http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_officierBR.php?uniformes=9
Erik-Jan  Bulgaria
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Nov 2015, 08:28

Very good of you to troll through this old posting of mine.
So thank you Erik-jan, for that and the Link. I often visit that site myself ,but missed seeing that plate of uniforms. It seems even in the new sets recently shown here and elsewhere they have modelled the busby ,and not the shako. Greetings from Fiddle Wood Norwich. UK. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Questions