Questions

AN/PRC-148 radio

Posted by Ben Bob on 29 Jan 2014, 15:13

I'm looking at photos of the 75th Rangers and notice that many (but not all) have the AN/PRC-148 radio mounted on their lower left pack connected to a handset on their chest rig and then their headset in the helmet.

Does anyone know what the exact role of these are? Are they mainly for interplatoon or intraplatoon communication? How many would one expect to see in a Ranger platoon and operated by which members?

Here's a link to a photo:

http://expedino.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/US-Army-75th-Ranger.jpg
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by armpcm on 29 Jan 2014, 17:08

Hello Ben,

Here goes some fun facts, hope it helps. :mrgreen:

Ben Bob wrote:Does anyone know what the exact role of these are? Are they mainly for interplatoon or intraplatoon communication?

The AN/PRC-148 JEM’s as a range of communication of 3.72 miles (6 kilometers), but with a VA (Vehicle Adapter) it range up to more than 18.64 miles (30 kilometers), so it can be used for inter and intra.

Also it has the ability (software) to use the VHF SINCGARS (Infantry), UHF HAVEQUICK (Aircraft), UHF long-range satellite link (Operations).

Ben Bob wrote:How many would one expect to see in a Ranger platoon and operated by which members?

This is the money question, because it all depends from the type of operation that they will perform, but squad/fire team leaders have one, but I must go to the archives :read: to see what else I have on this. 8)
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Ben Bob on 29 Jan 2014, 17:32

That helps a lot, thank you :thumbup: :-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Return to Questions