Questions

German black officer's peaked cap in use during Barbarossa?

Posted by Jesse on 16 Sep 2013, 10:18

Was the black officer's peaked cap in use by German panzer officers/commanders during the entire war or only later? Was it in use during Barbarossa 1941?
I mean this or similar: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Scenarios/natt-wittman.jpg

I wonder since I'm planning a 1/48 dio set during Barbarossa and there were a lot of different head dress for panzer troops; first the beret, then the sidecap and later in the war also the M43 field cap in black.

Thank you in advance!

/Jesse
Jesse  Sweden

Posted by Greg77 on 16 Sep 2013, 12:41

Hi,
Was the black officer's peaked cap in use by German panzer officers/commanders during the entire war or only later? Was it in use during Barbarossa 1941?

Well, the sort answer is: no.

German panzer officers( and the whole Panzertroopen) wears no black peaked caps (Schirmmütze) at all.
They have peaked caps only in Field Gray. (Feldgaru).
Black side cap (Feldmütze), later black Einheitsfeldmütze M1943 ( visored field cap),
and of course the beret in black colour, but the beret was rarely seen by 1940.

As far as I know black peaked caps were worn only by specific SS units, but not the waffen SS panzer units.
The Waffen ss panzer officers (and NCO's) worn Feldgaru peaked caps either.(or the black side cap or the M1943 field cap in black, or... or the Feldgrau versions of these...)

Hope this helps.
Greg
Greg77  Hungary

Posted by Jesse on 16 Sep 2013, 14:58

Much appreciated, thank you!
Jesse  Sweden

Return to Questions