Questions

What guides would you like to see?

Posted by armpcm on 13 Sep 2013, 10:44

Hi all,

So once again when I was looking through my books I started thinking of ways of adding more content to the forum, and had the idea of creating some guides on uniforms, weapons, operations, and so on.

My main area of knowledge ranges from WW2 to the present time, but know a little about other eras, Ancient, Napoleonic, etc.

So what say you? What is the most wanted piece of information that you need?
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Paul on 13 Sep 2013, 10:55

armpcm wrote:.

What is the most wanted piece of information that you need?

Firstly, the winning numbers for the Euro lottery tonight :mrgreen:
Paul  China

Posted by armpcm on 13 Sep 2013, 11:01

Paul wrote:Firstly, the winning numbers for the Euro lottery tonight :mrgreen:

Sorry my crystal ball is cloudy today :lol:
armpcm  Portugal

Posted by Paul on 13 Sep 2013, 11:03

No..seriously. I like the idea but To create a data base that covers all aspects of history that are re-created in model form would be massive! A napoleonic uniform guide for instance...it would become so enourmous it would Need another Forum to cover it..unless it was nothing but links with a few pics and still wouldn´t (probably) cover specific questions
Paul  China

Posted by Bourbaki on 13 Sep 2013, 12:01

It's a great idea, sure, but as paul pointed... it would be too much.

I may suggest a section where publish this kind of interesting articles/blog entries or whatever (preferably not c&p contents... but that's even harder lol), instead of placing them in the off-topic section. Or include subcategories, like divided in centuries or eras.

Oh I can proudly assure that if anybody wants information about Franco-Prussian war I'm your man lol. I just lack of prussian artillery info... I need to learn german... but I refuse while I'm living in 17th Bundesländer of germany ( joking)
Bourbaki  Spain

Posted by Uwe on 13 Sep 2013, 13:04

What information do you need on the Prussian artillery?

And be careful, in case you make a mistake on uniforms, I would jump on the subject :mrgreen:

cheers
uwe
Uwe  Germany

Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor) Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by armpcm on 13 Sep 2013, 14:17

Hi Paul and Bourbaki,

Thank you both for the interest into this topic.

Paul wrote:No..seriously. I like the idea but To create a data base that covers all aspects of history that are re-created in model form would be massive!

Bourbaki wrote:It's a great idea, sure, but as Paul pointed... it would be too much.

I agree with both of you and I know that this would be a massive effort :-) my approach would be a baby step to this subject.

See the photo below, I have just highlighted some items for example purposes only, we could develop thing like color of uniform, gear, weapons, and so on, I know that with photos for reference things are way easier, but you get the picture. :-D

Paul wrote:..unless it was nothing but links with a few pics and still wouldn't (probably) cover specific questions

Bourbaki wrote:I may suggest a section where publish this kind of interesting articles... ...include subcategories, like divided in centuries or eras.

These suggestions are very valid and we can look into the structure of this guides, a downloadable PDF for instant, a image gallery with comments like the one above, etc.

Also my intent is that this project should be a collaboration one, we all can pitch in to create a guide, that can be used at ease for a quick look on a given subject.
armpcm  Portugal

Posted by Rich-Rich on 28 Nov 2013, 04:06

How about a painting class where you take the painter up through the levels from beginner basics up to intermediate through to advanced techniques.

My own painting has improved, definitely got a lot neater so it looks better from arm's length, but I have not yet moved on successfully to more advanced techniques. I tried applying a blue wash to some French Leger and I must admit I was not overly impressed with the results. They didn't look shite or owt it was just that they didn't look that good that it was worth all the extra time and effort, I just thought I might as well have just painted them blue and left it at that. I could not see where all my hard work had gone so clearly my technique was at fault.

Also I notice that miniature war-gamers buy a lot of rule sets, they seem to be a sucker for them, as soon as a new set comes out they've bought it even though they have fifteen different rules sets at home already and most people tend to eventually settle on using just one or two sets most of the time all these extra sets tend to just gather dust. OK, I admit it I've been guilty of this as well. So how about a comprehensive rules review section, anyone who buys or tries a particular set could do a review just so we could get a few different perspectives on the rule sets out there, and lets face it a lot of these sets are pretty darn expensive.
Rich-Rich  

Return to Questions